Pit Bull Chat Forum

Welcome to Pit Bull Chat!

We are a diverse group of Pit Bull enthusiasts devoted to the preservation of the American Pit Bull Terrier.

Our educational and informational discussion forum about the American Pit Bull Terrier and all other bull breeds is a venue for members to discuss topics, share ideas and come together with the common goal to preserve and promote our canine breed of choice.

Here you will find discussions on topics concerning health, training, events, rescue, breed specific legislation and history. We are the premier forum for America’s dog, The American Pit Bull Terrier.

We welcome you and invite you to join our family.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us

  • Welcome back!

    We decided to spruce things up and fix some things under the hood. If you notice any issues, feel free to contact us as we're sure there are a few things here or there that we might have missed in our upgrade.

Very itchy, does this look familiar to anyone? Don't want to keep pumping my baby wit

7d1dbc24d796738d20de89c4fff9b997.jpg
 

kbell6987

Little Dog
joker gets a small rash occasionally as well that looks like that vet says it environmental allergies, my pit bull x gets red eyes and ears from allergies as well but the symptoms come and go, Benadryl is our friend lol
 

Mollie's Nana

Krypto Super Dog
Staff member
I'd keep an eye on it... could be anything. It could also be poison ivy, or a grass allergy. I agree, Benadryl is your friend. Keep an eye on it and if it spreads or gets worse, have your vet look at it.
 

TannerG

Boss Member
I'd keep an eye on it... could be anything. It could also be poison ivy, or a grass allergy. I agree, Benadryl is your friend. Keep an eye on it and if it spreads or gets worse, have your vet look at it.
Dogs can get poison ivy?

Sent from my XT1031
 

_unoriginal

Cow Dog
Dogs can get poison ivy?

Sent from my XT1031

Dogs tend to not get the rash because they're protected by their fur but on parts of their body that have less fur, they can get rashes. Our short haired dogs are more likely to get a poison ivy rash than a long haired retriever.
 

Mollie's Nana

Krypto Super Dog
Staff member
Actually, my vet told me to give Mollie Benadryl twice a day for the rest of her life because of her allergies, but every dog is different, and I wouldn't give Benadryl for more than a couple of days without seeing a vet if I didn't see improvement in the rash. Some rashes are simply allergies, and a dose of Benadryl (25mg per 25lbs) helps relieve them from their itchies or welts as much as it does us when we get them. However, if I didn't see improvement within 2 days, I would have my vet look at it.

:sadsigh: Our dogs never seem to want to make our lives easy... :lol:
 

_unoriginal

Cow Dog
I would suggest Benedryl as a temporary fix and permanently as a last resort. It stresses the organs so I wouldn't be suggesting it to everyone. I think it's best to eliminate the allergy than continuously medicate the symptom.
 

Michele

Chi Super Dog
Administrator
Actually, my vet told me to give Mollie Benadryl twice a day for the rest of her life because of her allergies, but every dog is different, and I wouldn't give Benadryl for more than a couple of days without seeing a vet if I didn't see improvement in the rash. Some rashes are simply allergies, and a dose of Benadryl (25mg per 25lbs) helps relieve them from their itchies or welts as much as it does us when we get them. However, if I didn't see improvement within 2 days, I would have my vet look at it.

:sadsigh: Our dogs never seem to want to make our lives easy... :lol:

I guess different vets give different opinions. Mine says it's a no-no for the long term but I guess if you trust your vet, go for it.
 

Michele

Chi Super Dog
Administrator
I would suggest Benedryl as a temporary fix and permanently as a last resort. It stresses the organs so I wouldn't be suggesting it to everyone. I think it's best to eliminate the allergy than continuously medicate the symptom.


I agree with this and so does my vet...:sonn_u11:
 

bamaman

Big Dog
I had one had it a little worse I switched her from Diamond Naturals to 4 health Salmon And Potatoe and it cleared right up within 10 days...She is back on Naturals now and doing fine.
 

SherryB

Little Dog
Zyrtec works better for my dog. The benedryl might as well have been skittles. You definitely need to get the itching stopped because if he bites, chews, scratches it, it could turn into a bacterial infection and then you'll definitely have to treat it with antibiotics, steroids, or some such stuff that I am trying really hard to avoid due to past long term health issues from it with another dog.

I've been researching this: A Simple Remedy to Treat Dog Skin Infection


It's cheap to try... I'm going to keep a squirt bottle of it where I bath my dog and squirt his belly down after I've bathed him. I'm also trying the wipe down she suggests after going outside. My dog is white underneath. The wipe down didn't stain but the squirt from the bottle stained a little. I hadn't diluted the iodine that was in the squirt bottle.

What I have researched about poison ivy is that dogs generally do not get a reaction to it but that they can carry the residue and if you are allergic to poison ivy, then you may get it.

Could be food related (yeast).
 
Yes my dog had the worse case of poison ivy... I had to wash infected areas 3 times a day and apply Ivarest... over the counter medicated itch cream with antihistamine... it took about a week to clear up. And I now know those pretty little shurbs he likes to pee on is actually is actually mixed with the poison ivy plant..
 
Yes my dog had the worse case of poison ivy... I had to wash infected areas 3 times a day and apply Ivarest... over the counter medicated itch cream with antihistamine... it took about a week to clear up. And I now know those pretty little shurbs he likes to pee on is actually is actually mixed with the poison ivy plant..

Should have included. . Had to wash dog 3 times a day with Dawn dish washing liquid to remove the poison ivy oil from his skin and then apply the cream...