1. Welcome to Pit Bull Chat!

    We are a diverse group of Pit Bull enthusiasts devoted to the preservation of the American Pit Bull Terrier.

    Our educational and informational discussion forum about the American Pit Bull Terrier and all other bull breeds is a venue for members to discuss topics, share ideas and come together with the common goal to preserve and promote our canine breed of choice.

    Here you will find discussions on topics concerning health, training, events, rescue, breed specific legislation and history. We are the premier forum for America’s dog, The American Pit Bull Terrier.

    We welcome you and invite you to join our family.

    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

    Dismiss Notice

Should I?

Discussion in 'General Dog Discussions' started by ETRaven2, Mar 16, 2018.

  1. ETRaven2

    ETRaven2 Big Dog

    My friend at work is looking for a rescue puppy. So of course, I start looking at adoptable dogs. Found this one and I'm in love. I think I may go see her. But, I need two dogs like I need a hole in the head.

    Attached Files:

    Nat Ursula and Capt. Roxy like this.
  2. Eden86

    Eden86 Little Dog

    How would B feel about a new sister? How is she by the way?
    ETRaven2 and Nat Ursula like this.
  3. ETRaven2

    ETRaven2 Big Dog

    B's good. She's so chill. She loves other dogs. She's still a pup tho. But, she's so watered down that I don't think she'd ever be DA. This other one may be. So of course, we'd do a two week shut down and crate and rotate.
    B's fog allergies like crazy. Next step is steroid but, she's so young I'm trying to avoid and handle as naturally ad I can. I eliminated chicken from her diet for a while to see if it could be food, but I know it's environmental. She goes outside and will come back in and itch for hours if I let her. I've been spraying her with vinegar/water when she comes in and she gets baths now.
    Here's some pics of B this am just for good measure. She hates the camera. She's getting head scratches that's why she's all leaning weird on my hand.

    Attached Files:

    rswan88, Nat Ursula and Capt. Roxy like this.
  4. Capt. Roxy

    Capt. Roxy Good Dog Premium Member

    I say go for it!!!! LOL... I'm so bad... If i wasn't pregnant right now I would so take a puppy!!!!! and not the rescue route this time..! Hehehe
    But seriously, you know what you're doing and it's not like you wouldn't be a responsible owner. If you're ready and you can handle it I say more the merrier. :)

    On a side note, what a bummer about B's allergies! I think it's good you want to stay away from steroids for now. Try to stay away from steroids as long as possible if you can.... Have you tried bathing her weekly in medicated shampoo? Henry Schein's Dermachlor works magic on Roxy. During heavy allergy seasons (Spring/fall) she gets weekly with that and Douxo wipes in between baths. Douxo makes a spray too but we didn't like it. Hope B can pull through without meds. ♥
  5. ETRaven2

    ETRaven2 Big Dog

    I have not tried the Dermachlor, I'll try it. I'm using an Rx shampoo from the vet right now. I'll tell you what it is later. It's up on the tub and I don't feel like going to get it.
    I'm really trying to keep B off heavy meds. Now that the snow has melted, she's getting Benadryl everyday, but that's not really doing much, so I'm kinda tempted to just stop.

    I would love a game bred APBT, but it is not in the cards right now. Hoping in about 5 years, I'll be better prepared to get the real deal. No more pups for me either, for a while. I just got through puppy craziness with Ray and then you know what happened with that, so we got B. Two pups back to back are no fun for me. Not sure how PBD does it. Insanity. LOL This one I'm interested in is almost two, so we'd be past the worst of it, but I think she'd still have enough energy to want to play with B, if she's not DA (or DA yet)

    I emailed the rescue last night and they sent an application. I'm gonna fill it out and see where it goes.
    Capt. Roxy and Nat Ursula like this.
  6. Nat Ursula

    Nat Ursula Good Dog

    You can try a few different over the counter allergy meds. Do you feed rAw? If so, do you add Nupro or something to it? Do you give a probiotic? I would tryt hat to see if it boosts her immune system.
    Capt. Roxy and ETRaven2 like this.
  7. Kit

    Kit Good Dog

    I say go for it! 2 is easy. 3 isn't bad. 4 is a bit more work.

    As for the allergies, have you tried giving her local honey? They don't need much, just a teaspoon or so per day, takes about 6 weeks to show improvement, but it does seem to help.
    Capt. Roxy, ETRaven2 and Nat Ursula like this.
  8. Worg

    Worg Big Dog

    You're educated and capable of handling aggression, and I feel that if things got bad you would know if rehoming is a good option. If things don't work out and you have to rehome her then she would be no worse off then she currently is, she is a homeless dog right now.

    She's a looker for sure, her head shape reminds me of Kiba but her ears look better IMO
    Have you considered a male though?
    Capt. Roxy, ETRaven2 and Nat Ursula like this.
  9. Eden86

    Eden86 Little Dog

    B is gorgeous. Nice that she’s not DA as well. That would definitely make life easier for you. I’ve been super lucky with Grace so far as well in that regard. So in regard to adopting, can B meet the dog you’re planning on getting? Or is it just a case of adopt and see?
    Capt. Roxy, ETRaven2 and Nat Ursula like this.
  10. steve07

    steve07 Good Dog Premium Member

    Go for it. Your educated enough to kno what to do in situations!!! And if not that’s what we’re all here for
    Capt. Roxy, ETRaven2 and Nat Ursula like this.
  11. ETRaven2

    ETRaven2 Big Dog

    Just a little update...I sent the application in for this pup yesterday. I'm nervous bc I was honest about euthanizing Raven for being HA. I hope they don't hold it against me. Some of those places have such a "save em all" mentality, ya know?
    I hope she's a right fit for us, but if not, that's okay too, I'm not going to adopt just anybody this time, she has to be the right one.
    Worg - no boys for me. I have always had fm. I had a male once and he was a living terror maniac (different breed entirely) since then I've been apprehensive to own another male. I know, I know, it's all in my head. 8-|
    Capt. Roxy and Nat Ursula like this.
  12. Worg

    Worg Big Dog

    I always preferred males but with the amount of males already in the family I decided against when I got Kiba. It's interesting though, despite how strongly I felt about my preference I knew I would love whatever dog I got, so I just went through with getting a female and I ended up being right.

    Have you considered fostering to adopt?
    I wouldn't be super upfront about what happened, the rescue doesn't need to know too much, but if it comes up I can't imagine them faulting you for it, especially when a child was involved.
    ETRaven2 and Nat Ursula like this.
  13. EstyEsty

    EstyEsty Little Dog Premium Member

    You go girl!!!!! You are so good and informed on your breed and those two will look great together.... And You can handle them not a doubt in my mind...
    Love you and everything you do for me and this forum! xoxoxoxox
    ETRaven2, pitbulldogs and Nat Ursula like this.
  14. ETRaven2

    ETRaven2 Big Dog

    Welp, I got denied because B is intact. When I emailed to explain why B is intact and to ask if they agreed with the recent findings on the benefits of not altering so early, I got a really snarky email back. So, eh, wasnt meant to be. Just feel bad for the dog because she could've potentially had a good home.
  15. Nat Ursula

    Nat Ursula Good Dog

    That is too bad. I know what you mean about the dog losing out. We have had that before after we put our Boxer down at 2 yrs. old for attempting to bite a pet store employee. I tried to explain his long list of health issues up to that point, etc. a possible tumor in his head etc.
  16. Capt. Roxy

    Capt. Roxy Good Dog Premium Member

    :| That is too bad... I think a good solution would be if they were to allow you to foster or trial adopt. [-(
    Nat Ursula likes this.

Share This Page