1. Welcome to Pit Bull Chat!

    We are a diverse group of Pit Bull enthusiasts devoted to the preservation of the American Pit Bull Terrier.

    Our educational and informational discussion forum about the American Pit Bull Terrier and all other bull breeds is a venue for members to discuss topics, share ideas and come together with the common goal to preserve and promote our canine breed of choice.

    Here you will find discussions on topics concerning health, training, events, rescue, breed specific legislation and history. We are the premier forum for America’s dog, The American Pit Bull Terrier.

    We welcome you and invite you to join our family.

    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

    Dismiss Notice

DANG IT YACHIRU JUST ATE 3 or 4 Chocolate Chip Cookies. >:(

Discussion in 'Bull Terrier' started by fctv808, Mar 11, 2012.

  1. fctv808

    fctv808 Little Dog

    took her to the gym today and one of the damn kids who takes classes must've sneaked into the office and left a small ziplock bag w/ a few chocolate chip cookies in it. i had put yachi in there for only 3 min so i could put my bag up and when i got back in, her nose was deep in the bag--chewed through--w/ a few chocolate chip (small sized) cookies scatter on the floor. i could tell she must've gotten a few down.

    well, we are home about an hour later and she was a little lethargic and then threw up part of her breakfast. just lying around outside now quiet and looks bummed out.

    what should i expect? i don't think it was that much chocolate.

    should i find and drop kick the kid's face who left the chocolate chips in the office?

    i'm pissed right now as that's MY OFFICE! gd parents nowadays and their stupid brats. time to raise tuition.

  2. OBIWAN_dza

    OBIWAN_dza Little Dog

    U should drop kick whoever left the dog unattended
  3. cliffdog

    cliffdog Good Dog

    3 or 4 chocolate chip cookies or even 10 cookies is not gonna endanger a medium size dog. Just keep an eye on Yachiru and don't make a habit of it.
  4. fctv808

    fctv808 Little Dog

    lol i already drop kicked myself.

    got it about not leaving her unattended. THREE MINUTES!

    ---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

    she threw up all of bfast now. and she's wobbly and just stood up to poop. kinda collapsed on her towel outside and is shaky.

    i'm starting to worry again!
  5. Ali132

    Ali132 Good Dog

    If you are worried take her to the vet, I would just to be sure.
    I know a lot of dogs who have eaten it and been just fine and had no reactions like you stated.
  6. fctv808

    fctv808 Little Dog

    they're closed today. only the emergency hospital on the other side of the island is open and holy moly i hate to see their bill. she seems to be just lying down now.

    does anyone know what treatment the vet might administer if i were to take her? they don't have an "anti-chocolate" pill do they? i would think only iv fluids if she's dehydrating?
  7. xchairity_casex

    xchairity_casex Good Dog

  8. cliffdog

    cliffdog Good Dog

    She might be sick if she ate part of the bag... that, I would be concerned about.
  9. crazybully

    crazybully Little Dog

    So imagine how much chocolate it would take to poison a 50-60 lb dog.

    Generally it takes a LARGE amount chocolate to even cause much of a problem as Cliff said, i'm sure he'll be fine if anything i'd be worried about an allergic reaction to all the other ingredients aside from the chips :lol:
  10. fctv808

    fctv808 Little Dog

    thks for the info folks. well, after a rough lethargic and drooling afternoon. (no diarrhea) she is upright and a bit more energetic. she drank a bunch of water but wouldn't even look at the rice and chicken i boiled for her--nevermind the normal nutro kibble--she wouldn't touch that at all. so she's just sleeping now.

    poor thing. :(
  11. crazybully

    crazybully Little Dog

    Glad she's doing better, i can imagine she had a belly ache.
  12. SamThePitbull

    SamThePitbull Good Dog

    Aaaw poor baby I hope she feels better soon!
  13. Bullful

    Bullful Little Dog

    Have you ever used peroxide and water?

    If you see that your dog has recently swallowed something that can be hazardous to their health you can induce vomitting by using a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and warm water. You should be able to find directions on the internet. I use a 30cc syringe and fill it a few times.

    Hope it helps, mine have thrown up eyeglasses, squeaky toys, pieces of rubber dog toys and various other things that did not belong.
  14. Vicki

    Vicki Administrator Administrator

    Three cookies is child's play.

    Try a whole bag of marshmallows and half the plastic bag, or a whole loaf of bread and most of the bag...or wait...potato chips and bag, or potatoes, left the bag on that one!

    And tonight, one of my shitheads ate the snarfed the hide off a flirt pole. He still hasn't puked, and he had his peroxide and salt.
  15. destinoscelgo

    destinoscelgo Good Dog

    Have you ever heard of the game Chubby Bunny? Apparently a bunch of kids died from playing it lol (not that that part is funny)
  16. Tahlz

    Tahlz Good Dog

    What is Chunny bunny? I want to know now.
  17. Mollie's Nana

    Mollie's Nana Krypto Super Dog Staff Member

    Mollie ate an entire box of Valentine chocolates when she was about 4 months old... I called the vet in a panic... it was a Saturday late afternoon and I was in a state of sheer panic! The vet laughed and said she might throw up or have diarrhea, but other than that, she would be fine. She said that unless it's the bitter baking chocolate, it's not likely to hurt the dog other than a little upset stomach. The dang dog never got sick, never threw up, never anything, except get a HUGE addiction to chocolate!!

    It's the bitter chocolate with the high cocoa content that is dangerous to dogs. I'm not saying that milk chocolate won't make some dogs sick, it's just not as toxic to dogs as bitter chocolate. As a general rule, dogs shouldn't be given chocolate on a regular basis, but I'd say 3 chocolate chip cookies aren't going to do much damage. Mollie did develop a great nose for sniffing out anything chocolate though, so you might want to hide your cookies, or at least put them on top of the refrigerator. But I think you'll be safe with this slight encounter with the cookies. :lol:
  18. xchairity_casex

    xchairity_casex Good Dog

    glad she is doing ok.
    ive been lucky with Cesar but then he is rarely out of my sighti
    ve only had to induce vomitting once he somehow had gotten my bottle of bi-polar meds i was cleaning my fish tank and he was on my couch i turned then heard a crack i turned back and he was jsut sitting there like "what?" i waited a second watching him then went back to cleaning the tank when i heard him chewing i turned again he was chewing somthing so i ran over to see what it was he has chewed thru the pill bottle and ate 2 pills i FREAKED out becuase i have NO idea HOW he had gotten the bottle i always keep it on a shelf abover my bed near the ceiling how the hell he got it is beyond me. i ran him upstairs and induced vomiting right away then called the emergecy vets office and they were no help told me "i dont know what to do" didnt tell me to keep an eye oout for any symptoms or nothing just "i dont know"

    i was awake all night looking for info on the meds he had taken and the toxicity level for dogs. thankfully the drugs were safe for dogs to ingest and are even priscribed to dogs by vets so i really lucked out after that i started putting my pills in a tin lock box then on the shelf.
  19. fctv808

    fctv808 Little Dog

    update folks:

    she's back to normal, even her poops! it's crazy because i OCD over her poops everyday and think somethings wrong anytime she gets irregular. i stopped by the vet yesterday to pick up her trifecta and spoke to them about what had happened and they think she probably had an allergic reaction to something in the cookie? maybe it had macadamia nuts or something else that made her get weird. they said it sounded like she had a bit of a seizure when i told them she was shaky and couldn't stand and stumbled over for a few hours.

    anyway, lesson learned. i will beat all the kids at practice until they fear chocolate chip cookies w/ macadamia nuts so they will never be stashed away in my office again. jk (oai?)

    LOL and thank you for all the info and support. i was a basket case.
  20. #1 stunner

    #1 stunner Good Dog

    I'm glad to hear she is much better, probably was an allergic reaction.....my sister's chocolate lab ate a 2 lb box of see's candies and she had no reaction...other then her coat seemed more chocolate color. :lol:

Share This Page