Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to train food aggression/possessiveness out of a dog

In fb, a guy was talking about his dog being aggressive about her food and how she almost bit him when he went to pet her. So I was just wondering how to reclaim you are in control of the food, not the dog.

Images
    Hand feed and NILIF is what I would use. Though, I've never had a food aggression issue with any dog I've ever owned.

Well star had it with other dogs but never with me. I ended up telli g this other guy to take her food away and give it back at his will but I guess that's wrong

ThaNks

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatbedder View Post
    Well star had it with other dogs but never with me. I ended up telli g this other guy to take her food away and give it back at his will but I guess that's wrong
    That will likely make the dog more food aggressive; you've just confirmed it's worst fears...someone is going to take it's food and it needs to protect it at all costs.

The Yin video addresses the issue nicely; here's a decent article on resource guarding in general:

http://ahimsadogtraining.com/blog/resource-guarding/

(When I was younger I actually had a dog that I -unwittingly and with the best of intentions - conditioned to be a resource guarder).

^^ Yup! Taking food away can cause more issues. Hand feeding is a good way to help with food aggression. It's telling the dog that you are the GIVER of food.

Or trading what he is eating for some other food, so nothing is ever taken but traded for something tastier. Bear will drop a whole chicken quick if I act like I have something in my hand lol

Well he said the dog is fine if he sees you coming but don't sneak upon her. It's with other anals he says is the big deal and doesn't think this should be stopped.

Feed all the animals separately! Not that hard to deal with.

Images
    Seriously^

You can't take the animal out of a dog.

Well he almost got bit because of it and sure you cam take the animal out of an animal. Lol j/k

If he would feed all of the animals separate then he won't have an issue of dogs redirecting on him.

Why not just leave the damn dog alone while eating?

I don't think he feeds them together I figured this was not acceptable behaviour from a dog, my bad

Quote Originally Posted by pookie! View Post
    This, the first time a pup growls at me over food or high value treat or toy, it gets smacked.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Laced Wit Game View Post
    Why not just leave the damn dog alone while eating?
    I agree with you but sometimes food has to be taken so it is good to know that if you have to grab a bone of food quickly, you are not going to get bit.

Quote Originally Posted by AmberL View Post
    This, the first time a pup growls at me over food or high value treat or toy, it gets smacked.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

I agree with you but sometimes food has to be taken so it is good to know that if you have to grab a bone of food quickly, you are not going to get bit.
    $#@! Bear did it ONCE, quick smack and a loud NO BAD DOG, then I sat on the floor and traded treats and stuff until he realized he was always going to get something better if he let me have his tasty thing.

Now he will be mid eating a chicken and I can walk up and get it away from him with no fuss because he know there is something else he is going to get.

^^ have you tried redirecting like this with your cat?? might work....fwiw

NONE of my dogs posture, tense up, or even look twice when I have to grab food.

I tried everything, I though he was alright with her and would be fine and I always was watching him if she was near and still he wanted to grab her.
    I tried to let them out together the other day and she was laying down in my lap and he was over to the right of me chewing on his sock toy, and she got up WALKED, not jumped and ran or anything fast at all, to the bedroom door and went around the corner, as soon as he tail disappeared he was up like a shot, past me and was booking it to the bedroom to go after her, and since my chair is right next to the door and smacked the ever living hell out of his butt as he was going by and he flipped a bitch and went into his kennel, he knows it bad but something about her just makes him not be able to control himself, and this was after a few laps around the complex and she made no "prey" like moves, I tried so much when they were younger and up until he jumped on her and he knows its bad and knows he shouldnt but he cannot help it, his brain just reverts to straight dog and he acts on that and loses all his sense.
    He wont do anything if she is on me or if I am walking with her in my arms to the bedroom, I have had some dogs that will walk next to or in front of you when your holding the cat just waiting to jump and grab, but he could care less and wont even get up, but her on the floor moving around, she is fair game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast