1. 5 month old pitbull puppy biting

My 5 month old puppy still tries to bite a little, i know he's teething and everything but when he gets into one of his moods he tends to open his mouth a lot more. I've tried redirecting with toys but he'd rather bite my hands lol, the best thing that seemed to work was to isolate him in my bedroom. Do you guys have any other suggestions on what is a good and an effective way to stop him from biting?its not aggressive, it's more of a playful bite. He also likes to bite when you try to put his leash on sometimes. He is neutered by the way.

Images
    My pit bull pups 5 months also and recently had the same problem. Every time she bites firmly tell her "no bite!" With a swat on the nose (only hard enough to get her attention). Be patient, this took my dog about a month before she really figured it out and she still has her rare moments but its almost completely stopped her biting! Hope it helps.

Images
    my pup is the same. since i got her at 2 1/2 months ive been letter her chew bones out of my hand. not she is very gentle. she is now 7 months but still when shes being playfull she nips a little but its more or less hand playing and not hard at all. also when she has something (anything) in their mouths mek them give it to you or open their moouths and take it, i find that helps so that she doesnt really lock her jaw and when she does i can open it.

4. My Amstaff baby is just a little over 3 months now and we had this serious problem,we took a rolled up newspaper or the middle of the papertowel roll(cardboard thingy)and gave him a swat with a big NO...it only took a few times to learn..now if he tries I say NO and he stops biting and starts licking.
    I tried to get his attention on other things and the whole redirect him thing..didnt work.

Quote Originally Posted by onyx_b.c View Post
    i find that helps so that she doesnt really lock her jaw and when she does i can open it.
    you don't mean this literally do you?

binaca works, it is small can be hidden in your hand and when they bite down squirt some in it's mouth or
    I would grab the lower jaw dig my nail in make it as uncomfortable as possible, a sharp smack will work too...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberL View Post

binaca works, it is small can be hidden in your hand and when they bite down squirt some in it's mouth or
    I would grab the lower jaw dig my nail in make it as uncomfortable as possible, a sharp smack will work too...
    Really youd dig your nail in? Yikes that seems painful :/ im all for a good smack but that seems a little too far for me. I never had to hurt Sam to get her to stop biting..

not a hard dig, I will position my nail so when they bite down it is uncomfortable so the pup will release. They $#@!ociate biting your fingers with discomfort. sharp fingers are not fun to bite.....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberL View Post

what i meant was she is less likely to lock it. in my experience anyways.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SamThePitbull View Post
    Really youd dig your nail in? Yikes that seems painful :/ im all for a good smack but that seems a little too far for me. I never had to hurt Sam to get her to stop biting..
    me either with onyx. just has alot of experience with my hands around her mouth since day one. hand fed her to get her used to it. no food agression issues or nipping.

You need to make sure that you correct your dog every single time no exceptions. I would just place my hand gently around its mouth and hold it closed and tell them no. Then I would give them a toy or bone to bite to show them what is exceptable to bite. And by no means never let a puppy chew on your fingers teething or not. It confuses them as to what is acceptable behavior. Consistency is the most important.

10. He'll stop when he grows older.. it's just trying to play.

Quote Originally Posted by MontSteezy View Post
    He'll stop when he grows older.. it's just trying to play.

He may be trying to play but unless all teeth-on-skin contact is trained to be bad, the future repercussions can lead to accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by onyx_b.c View Post
    what i meant was she is less likely to lock it. in my experience anyways.
    yeah but, their jaws don't lock

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amberl View Post
    yeah but, their jaws don't lock
    soo pitbulls jaws dont lock is what your saying?

um... yep. They are just dogs, no special locking mechanism in their jaw. They are terriers, extremely tenacious loathe to give up their "prey" and they have powerful jaws, that is all. Nothing mystical about it.:)

15. They also came in last in a contest " Which dog bites harder contest " between a Pit Bull, A Rout, and a German Shepard... I believe the Shepard took it.

Pit Bull Just don't have an off switch so when they have something they want they just don't let go...

As for the biting thing Yogi kinda does the same thing but with reputation and positive traing. I think he will be good to go in no time...

Images
    I've stopped mine from doing this when he was about 2 months old. He is now 5 months old and know when to stop. The newspaper thing works well too.

As for the biting contest, The Rottie took it by a big margin. The GSD was marginally better than the Pit. Well done on the pit considering his size.
    As for the locking jaw, true dat, they don't have such a mechanism... just common street talk that u shouldn't believe.

17. my girl does it when she's all riled up. Usally walking away or giving her a 'time out' to calm down stops it. She had learned that biteing = away time from mommy and that sucks!!