Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: invisible fence

invisible fence

we just moved into our new house back in Nov. it can with an invisible fence but im not sure how to use it. the box thing is located in the garage and it has a knob on it to turn it on and adjust the width of the invisible fince. it also has the collar that goes with it but they had cut the length of the collar i guess to fit a small dog. for that could i just buy a new collar and put holes in it and put the box thing on it to make the collar bigger? also i have no idea really how to use it or train with it. i know the name brand of the fence is called Innotek. anyone else have experience with the brand? i do not have intentions of just letting her out unspervised with it on, ( or ever for that matter) but when we go outside it would be nice to have that on her so i dont worry about her running out of the yard until we get the fencing up that were looking into buying

Uhm bad idea homie.

Images
    In general, invisible fencing is a bad idea for pit bull type dogs. These dogs are known for their tenacity so if they really want to get past that "fence" they will.

Yep and once they get past that line the shocking or whatever stops and they are free to roam lol

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pookie! View Post
    Uhm bad idea homie.
    I 2nd this ^

My uncles German Shorthair Pointers who were bred to work/hunt passed through their invisible fence daily. I'm sure a pitbull or pitbull type would do it too... Nothing holds a determined dog back excepted a lOcked door or a good chainspot and even those fail from time to time lol.

Images
    My neighbors when I was young had a GSD that was being held back by an invisible fence.. I can't tell you how many times that damn dog got out

There's no real high prey drive dog in the world that can be stopped by an invisible fence when they see something they want to go after

9. Lol my neighbors have a chi with an invisible fence...hes gotten out 3x since theyve had it :what:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Doesn't sound reliable one bloody bit.

Ironic that you post this, because there was just a post on the NAFA list about a dog that escaped an invisible fence and is now missing.

Rip it out and put in a real fence.

lol i have no idea how to rip it out.... we do intend on getting a real fence put up, theres just a few things on the list to do to the house first. so i wasnt sure if it would be a temporary solution just when we go out to use the bathroom or if we are walking out to the garage

No, not even as a temporary solution

Bad idea. Unless you want to get a new dog in the near future.

16. what everyone else said.

Secondarily...(and this is where most people go wrong with these fences) is that it requires pretty hardcore training to get the dog to respect the boundries. You don't just put the collar on, let the dog out, and expect it to work.

The thing is, even the best trained dog, when aroused to a high enough level, can and will "forget" all it's training in an instant when not under direct control by a human.

TRIM YOUR DOGS NAILS BEFORE I BRING IT UP Land, right next to MD
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by king_leonidas View Post
    My uncles German Shorthair Pointers who were bred to work/hunt passed through their invisible fence daily. I'm sure a pitbull or pitbull type would do it too... Nothing holds a determined dog back excepted a lOcked door or a good chainspot and even those fail from time to time lol.
    WTH, WHY is that of any importance? You couldnt have just said my uncles GS Pointer? lol

I personally have never tried one... BUt My neighbor uses one and I've never SEEN those dogs leave that yard . They do very well with it. I've rode my dirt bike them plenty of times and you can tell they know where the 'fence' is.

I persoanlly would be afraid to use one... Unless I lived in a country ish area. You def. wna look up how to train them with it... look it up on youtube to give you more incite on them.

Images
    My sister has a 6ft privacy fence and her rotts could dig under and climb over. She installed an invisible fence just inside the wood fence and that worked great. But I can't think of any other time I could use one because they're just plain unreliable if you're dog has any kind of drive.

ive only seen it work once. and the dogs were super lazy. personally. why use one? lunge lead works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffdog View Post
    My sister has a 6ft privacy fence and her rotts could dig under and climb over. She installed an invisible fence just inside the wood fence and that worked great. But I can't think of any other time I could use one because they're just plain unreliable if you're dog has any kind of drive.
    I was thinkin ^ that would be the only way I'd use one... but we're probably just gonna add hot wire along the inside of the fence line.... pretty much the same thing but without the collar.
    We don't have an issue with our dogs digging out... it's more of a problem that they like to run up and down the fence line because of the neighbor dog. They do it to the point of injuring themselves (sore hips, bonking their heads, etc). They're gonna love the hot wire this summer haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast