Man disputes sheriff's charges of dog fighting

Man disputes sheriff's charges of dog fighting
    By Todd Ruger
    Published: Monday, January 2, 2012 at 6:52 p.m.
    Last Modified: Monday, January 2, 2012 at 6:52 p.m.

SARASOTA COUNTY - Animal control deputies want to take two pit bulls away from a Sarasota man they say is involved in illegal dog fighting, and keep him from owning any more.

But James West says he has done nothing wrong, and the Sarasota County Animal Services has taken his dogs and cost him a lot of money to try to get Big Red and Bitch back to his Newtown home.

"In this neighborhood here you have to have some dogs in your yard, to protect your property," West said Thursday. "I want my dogs back."

The dispute over the dogs started Dec. 15 when a woman called the Sarasota Police Department to report she saw dogfighting in the back yard of West's home, according to a court petition filed by Sarasota County.

A county animal services deputy saw West had blood on him, and Big Red, a male, had numerous fresh bloody dog fight bite wounds on the front of his body. Another male pit bull had a fresh bite wound on its ear.

West said Big Red was injured when he was attempting to breed him with Bitch, not fighting the other male dog. West said some chains were too long, and Bitch was not in heat and bit Big Red in a kennel accident.

The Sheriff's Office issued two citations to West and impounded all three dogs one of which West does not own until West and the other owner can supply proper shot and registration paperwork.

West says he just saved the animals a month ago from a man who was neglecting them. They were emaciated, and he was waiting for them to gain weight before taking them to the vet.

"We miss the dogs," West said. "I don't feel like I did anything wrong."

West said he asked for the dogs back but the Sheriff's Office says he owes $1,400.

West plans to bring witnesses to a Jan. 13 court hearing about whether West is fit to own animals.

The sheriff's petition says that if the judge feels West is unfit as an owner, the Sheriff's Office wants custody of the dogs and wants West stopped from owning animals.

If the judge feels he is fit as an owner, the Sheriff's Office want the court to order West to treat his dogs for heartworm disease and be surgically sterilized, something West does not want.

Sarasota County drivers can expect traffic delays | HeraldTribune.com

Wait so he was trying to breed big red to bitch and she wasn't even in heat and coincidentally the other chain was to long?

3. This $#@! is the type of owner who doesn't so much as need a hamster much less a dog. I can't even begin to count all the horrible things about the moron in that story. The dogs are better off dead than with a $#@! like that.

"West says he just saved the animals a month ago from a man who was neglecting them"

And he wanted to breed them? Karma anyone? Lol poor dogs, they should be put down than have to go be bred and have the mutt puppies peddled.

Images
    They were emaciated and he was trying to put weight on them before going to the vet but figured they were healthy enough to breed?????????? + he wasn't smart enough to know she wasn't even in heat

What a $#@!ing dumb $#@!.

7. .....I'm laughing at the names. Big Red and Bitch?(I'm guessing those are the dogs' names, since they are capitalized.) And attempting to breed them, when they weren't even healthy or in heat? Geez, this guy is lucky that the dogs didn't get pissed off and accidentally bite him. I don't even think anyone could blame the dogs, if they did.

8. West said Big Red was injured when he was attempting to breed him with Bitch, not fighting the other male dog. West said some chains were too long, and Bitch was not in heat and bit Big Red in a kennel accident.
    I think this was just poorly written. What I gathered from the statement was that the male dog attempted to mount the female because the chains were to long, and the female took offense, and bit him.

I think the writer either missinterpreted the owner's statement, or just accidently threw in the word "him".

Otherwise it would read:

"...Big Red was injured when he was attempting to breed with Bitch." As opposed to "...Big Red was injured when he was attempting to breed him with Bitch."

Incidently, I have a friend who's dog is named "Little $#@!", because she's a people $#@!. They call her L.S.