Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pit bull owner spends $17G trying to save life of Prada

Pit bull owner spends $17G trying to save life of Prada
    Two courts have ordered that the 4-year-old dog be euthanized
    3:17 PM, Jan. 2, 2012 |

NASHVILLE — Nicole Andree has spent nearly a year and $17,000 in legal fees trying to save the life of her pit bull boxer mix, Prada, who remains locked up in the city’s Metro Animal Control after fighting with neighborhood pets last January.

Two courts have ordered that the 4-year-old dog be euthanized, but Andree vows to appeal the case until Prada is allowed to return home. The case is set for another hearing on Jan. 27.

“This has been crazy, but she’s my little baby,” said Andree, a 35-year-old real estate broker who now lives in Franklin. “If my dog had bitten or killed another animal, then I would put her down, but she lives with a 14-year-old poodle and gets beat up by him all the time.”

Cases like Prada’s raise questions about whether the breed is violent or misunderstood, and often leave courts to weigh neighbors’ conflicting testimony. “It is totally up to the judge to make a determination,” said Metro Animal Control Director Judy Ladebauche. “Certainly, when a judge listens to both sides €1/8 they make a determination whether this animal presents a danger to the community.”

Two Nashville pit bulls who killed a neighbor’s chihuahua last year were granted a reprieve when a judge decided to spare the dogs if they had microchips implanted and if they were prevented from running loose, even in their own yard. Ladebauche was not aware of any recent cases where an owner prevailed once a court had ordered a dog destroyed.

Prada’s troubles began in January when she lived with Andree and a guest accidentally let Prada out of the house. Andree, exercising in the woods, didn’t realize the dog was missing until half an hour later.

She called for Prada from a balcony while two friends searched the neighborhood. She called Metro Police when her friends told her Prada had been locked in a neighbor’s garage following a fight with a dog there. Prada later escaped and got into a fight with a different neighbor’s dog before police arrived.

According to the police report, responding officers found Prada tied to a tree. And, police found a neighbor, Cindy Chamness, with a bite on her hand. She said Prada had attacked her German shepherd. Chamness was bitten when she tried to break up the dog fight, but the report does not say which animal bit her. She declined to comment for this story, but her husband, Jay Chamness, said in an email to The Tennessean that his wife put her hands in the middle of the fighting dogs and she believes she was partially clipped by her own dog. She does not think either intentionally bit her, according to her husband.

Nicole Andree receives a kiss from her dog Prada while caged at Metro Animal Control in Nashville. Andree has spent nearly a year and $17,000 in legal fees trying to save the life of her pit bull boxer mix Prada who remains locked up in Metro Animal Control after fighting with neighborhood pets in January 2011. / GANNETT

Pit bull owner spends $17G trying to save life of Prada | The Asbury Park Press NJ | APP.com

I like how in the title it's "pit bull" but in the story it's "pit bull boxer mix"

so sad :( glad shes not giving up on her pup

4. Money < Love - I will say a prayer for her and Prada. :(

Images
    You shouldnt give up, screw what these courts think I don't get where they come one saying all this.

Images
    It breaks my heart to see a dog locked away from its home and family. I hope she gets her free and back home where she belongs! And good for her for fighting so hard!

I love this, IMO it's like shes fighting for the breed not just her own dog.

I'm glad she isn't giving up on her dog, but geez $17,000 is a lot of money. But then again you have to think if it was your own dog. What would you do?

I hope she gets her dog back.

Images
    The town over from mine has a 1 strike rule. If you dog (any breed) gets loose and bites another animal, it will be euthanized. I have no problem with that law. Sorry but if you can't keep 100% control over your dog 100% of the time, then you shouldn't have one.

^ I don't agree with that. Sometimes the most responsible people make mistakes, mistakes happen at times.

Images
    Yea, mistakes happen and the dog pays with its life. Guess who will be more careful next time? If you have people coming and going from your home, you lock the dog in a room, in its crate, tie to somewhere in the house so that accidents like this don't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by _unoriginal View Post
    The town over from mine has a 1 strike rule. If you dog (any breed) gets loose and bites another animal, it will be euthanized. I have no problem with that law. Sorry but if you can't keep 100% control over your dog 100% of the time, then you shouldn't have one.
    I can agree with this to an extent. With all the thousands of people that just let their animals roam around here, to law enforcement how can they determine that this person was any more responsible than the thousands of people who just let their animals roam and get into trouble. Again though you can be the most responsible owner out there and $#@! still happens. The article claims a "GUest" accidently let the dog get loose.

Where we live we have the 1 strike rule I believe (but I've seen dogs get second, 3rd, and 4th chances). What I don't get is its not like this dog attacked a person. Which is what I don't understand. The dog did not attack a person. So i do think this was a little extreme. Still I have a hard time seeing spending that kind of money on what is most likely a lost cause. Its amazing she has been able to keep this dog from being put down this long.

I love my dog, don't get me wrong. But as much as I love her after thinking about it, I don't think I could let her sit in a cage for 1 or more years and spend out that kind of money trying to get her out. If that dog does get to go home she is going to have a lot of problems, just from the two years of limited interaction, limited health care, and just being in a cage for that long can mess with a dog.

Don't get me wrong I hope she gets her dog back, but its a very long shot. She obviously cares about her dog.
    Last edited by SBTlove; 01-30-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Images
    I'm glad she is fighting... and has the money to fork out, most people don't. However, in most cases, the dog isn't given a second chance and is euthanized after the first incident where another dog dies. Sadly, the courts don't understand DA.

Oh and Unoriginal... she didn't let the dog out. She was exercising in the woods and someone else let the dog escape. Just thought I'd throw that in. :p

I tried to find an update on it, as the hearing was set for Jan. 27th, but I couldn't find anything on it. Maybe it will be in The Tennessean in the next few days. SBTlove, keep your eyes out for an update. :)

WZTV FOX 17 :: Newsroom - Top Stories - Local Dog on Death Row

Here is an update from about 45 minutes ago. The judge should make her ruling on Friday.

I do hope she gets the dog back. It would be a shame to go through all that and not.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mollie's Nana View Post
    Oh and Unoriginal... she didn't let the dog out. She was exercising in the woods and someone else let the dog escape. Just thought I'd throw that in. :p
    I know. I read the article but then the dog should have been behind a gate or in a crate if guests were in the house or coming and going.

That's my opinion, I don't trust other people to care for and control my dog the same way I do.

DAMN!

Third Davidson County judge rules that 'vicious' pit bull must be put down | The Tennessean | tennessean.com

"A Davidson County Circuit Court judge ruled Friday that Prada, a local pit bull mix that has been caged at the Metro animal shelter for more than a year, is a vicious dog and ordered her put down.The ruling, handed down by Judge Joe Binkley Jr., prompted an outpouring of support and rally cries of “never give up” that lasted for hours via Facebook for the dog*s owner, Nicole Andree, who has already spent thousands in legal fees and court costs in her plight to rescue Prada from death.
    Three Davidson County judges have heard the case, and all reached the same conclusion. Andree said she was in the process of trying to figure out her next steps. Legally, she can appeal the decision in the Court of Appeals, but nothing has been decided.
    “This is a horrible time. … Justice was not served,” she said.
    In a statement issued after the ruling, Andree*s lawyer, Jean Harrison, also expressed regret.
    “I had hoped to be able to send (Prada) to a sanctuary where she would have a second chance,” Harrison wrote. “Unfortunately, that is not one of the options the current law allows.”
    Officers had to use a stun gun on Prada after she attacked several neighborhood dogs near her Radnor Lake-area home in January 2011, a police spokeswoman said. According to Andree, a family friend let Prada outside while she was hiking in some woods behind her home, and she did not learn Prada was gone until she returned about a half-hour later. Prada has remained caged at Metro Animal Control since."

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Looks like she can still appeal it but no word yet whether or not she is taking that action.

Quote Originally Posted by SBTlove View Post
    DAMN!

Officers had to use a stun gun on Prada after she attacked several neighborhood dogs near her Radnor Lake-area home in January 2011, a police spokeswoman said. According to Andree, a family friend let Prada outside while she was hiking in some woods behind her home, and she did not learn Prada was gone until she returned about a half-hour later. Prada has remained caged at Metro Animal Control since."

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Looks like she can still appeal it but no word yet whether or not she is taking that action.
    I feel for the dog and her owner, but she did get loose, attack multiple dogs and bite a human in the process. It's sad, but what would people expect to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by MJJean View Post
    I feel for the dog and her owner, but she did get loose, attack multiple dogs and bite a human in the process. It's sad, but what would people expect to happen?
    She did NOT bite a human. The german shepherd she was fighting with bit its own owner.

What I don't get is why they are putting the dog down when it didn't bite a human. I figure the owners of the other dogs really pushed to have this dog put down. But what's done is done.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Here is another update: (Turns out she did get lose at AC and attack another dog that had to be put down). People now are petitioning governor Haslam to Pardon Prada as if he doesn't have anything more important to do.
    Even if the dog were to live it doesn't sound like she would get the dog back, the dog would end up in a sanctuary of some sort.
    Woman fights judge's ruling to euthanize dog

Posted: Feb 06, 2012 5:47 PM CST By Andy Cordan, Reporter - bio | email

Woman fights judge's ruling to euthanize dog - WKRN, Nashville, Tennessee News, Weather and Sports |

For the last year, Prada has been locked up in a cage at Metro's Animal Control faculty while the court cases and appeals went on and on.

Nicole Andree said that Prada is a friendly dog who plays well with other dogs, including her pet poodle.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A Mid-State woman and dog owner is continuing to fight the legal system after she was recently ordered by a Metro judge to have her dog euthanized.

The owner of the pit bull-boxer mix told Nashville's News 2 Investigates that a judge ruled on Friday the dog must be put down after the now four-year-old, Prada, was involved in an incident last January.

For the last year, Prada has been locked up in a cage at Metro's Animal Control faculty while the court cases and appeals went on and on.

Her owner, Nicole Andree told Nashville's News 2 Investigates that Prada is a friendly dog who plays well with other dogs, including her pet poodle.

"She lives with a 14-year-old, eight-pound poodle. You see them snuggling and can tell this dog is not aggressive," she explained.

However, officials with the Metro Public Health Department have a much different point of view of Prada.

Spokesperson Brian Todd said, "The dog has attacked five other dogs that we know of."

It all started a year ago when animal control officers captured Prada after she reportedly got loose and attacked another dog in the neighborhood.

Todd said, "The dog, in an unprovoked manner, attacked another dog."

Since the incidents, Prada has spent the last year in a cage while the case has been fought.

"I've spent everything I have to save this dog," Andree said.

In that time, animal control officers said Prada has escaped and attacked a dog in the animal control facility. The dog had to be put to sleep.

"It would be irresponsible for us to return the dog, Prada, to the owner," Todd continued.

On Friday, a Metro judge ordered Prada to be euthanized and gave the owner 10 days to appeal the ruling.

Andree said Prada deserves another chance.

"I feel like due process has not been served," she said, adding, "That dog can be rehabilitated, and I agree, that dog has been in a cage, and that dog needs to go to a sanctuary."

Metro Animal Control has received angry emails from all over the world regarding this case.

Officials said they are simply holding the dog until the court rules what should be done.

In the meantime; Andree told Nashville's News 2 Investigates her attorney plans to file motions to save Prada's life.

There is also a growing online movement to get the governor to pardon Prada.
    Read more at Change.org

Woman fights judge's ruling to euthanize dog - WKRN, Nashville, Tennessee News, Weather and Sports |

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Honestly, this thing might be getting a little out of hand. 3 judges have ruled for this dog to be euthanized. I have a feeling there is more to the story than the general public knows.
    Last edited by SBTlove; 02-09-2012 at 04:22 PM.

I agree, SBT, it has gone on too long and there is something not being reported. The original story said the GSD's owner was bitten, but not which dog bit her. A different story says Prada redirect bit her when she tried to save her dog. Then yet another story said Prada has attacked "several" neighborhood dogs. Now AC is saying Prada attacked a dog there that had to be put down. And the last article says she should be "rehabilitated", which is BS if she is simply DA as her breed mix is prone to.

She's also been in a cage for a year. That had to do some mental damage. While I admire her owner's dedication I can't help but think the kindest thing to do is let her go peacefully.

So this dog is pretty much on the news every day now. I'm not liking the fact that there is so much media surrounding this one dog. I'm starting to worry that perhaps its bringing too much attention to the breed, too much negative attention. Especially since it seems people are of the mindset that if a dog is dog aggressive whats to stop it from becoming aggressive toward humans. The general public just doesn't understand. And its seems to be bringing out a lot more hatred toward the breed. (And Prada isn't even an APBT, she is a MUTT)

At this point she is still in animal control. I'm not sure if anything has officially been appealed yet. But it sounds like this is going to continue to drag on and on and on.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

This is from a few hours ago:
    http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...text|FRONTPAGE

Haslam bows out of appeal to save life of condemned dog

Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam will not intervene in the case of Prada, a 4-year-old pit bull mix that has been ordered euthanized for attacking other dogs.
    A spokesman said the governor has no say in it.
    Dog owner Nicole Andree has taken the case before three different courts. A legal group from New York that specializes in fighting for condemned dogs agreed to take up the next appeal against Nashville authorities.
    An Internet and social media campaign has raised $16,000 to help fund the next appeal and inspired more than 11,000 people to sign a petition asking Haslam to pardon the dog.
    Andree is vowing she won*t halt her fight .
    The dog has been in the custody of Metro Nashville Animal Control for more than a year and is accused of attacking at least four other dogs. It has been ruled vicious by three courts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast