Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. 7 week old puppy losing weight and wont stop!

Hi I have a blu nose pitbull puppy whos 7 wks old, she has all her shots no worms etc... vet gave her clean bill of health but was concerned shes not eating enough, when i first go her at 6wks she was a cute lil round roly poly... I have tried very expensive dog foods and some you guys have mentioned on here, and she either wont eat it or it gives her a rash.....
    My last blu nose was allergic to almost all puppy food and chicken and beef etc etc n lived off rice and fish i cooked 2x a day for him (u can see pic of him on my photos)

my puppy keeps getting skinnier and skinnier and most dog food gives her rashes, i have found that kibbles n bits hasnt gave her a rash yet (i dont kno why) but she doesnt have a big appetite and keeps losing more weight
    is there any human food i can give her to help her gain weight until she is a little older? eggs? rice? meats? anything? maybe even baby or puppy formula? even tho she is eating dry food as well, just not alot at all n not often..... she has never had human food before so i kno this isnt her trying to be a table scrap dog.....
    she hates puppy formula... but she is always getting into my baby nephews baby formula ....... will baby formula hurt her?

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

what foods can i try to cook her to help her gain a little weight without putting her in danger with fats n etc?

Images
    What are you feeding her? Taste of the Wild has a new puppy formula I believe. Has she been wormed? You could try Satin balls as well.
    Last edited by Krista; 11-27-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Or just try plain ole Taste of the Wild. It's an all life stages food. I agree with the satin balls suggestion.

4. Thnk u both... i just searched what satin balls are n mayb will try that... i have tryd toe blue ribbon and taste of wild... she will not touch it or have anything to do with it.... odd puppy haha

she does eat the kibbles n bits more than other food i have tried..... which is still not often!
    i also have tryd the fish and rice like my 12 yr old pit has been on n she will not touch it... i am thinking of mayb mixing something that will fatten her up in with her kibbles and bits..maybe eggs? or some kind of puppy formula? i dont kno yet,
    .. this is an odd puppy

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

becaus eof my 12 yr old pitts allergy problems i purposely did not allow him to breed because i didnt want any other poor puppys to go thru his skin problems but now i buy a pup from somewhere else where neither parents ahve allergys and i still got a puppy with it haha ;) but i am already very attached so here goes another 12/13 yrs with a picky pitt :-)
    Last edited by Siciliana_Mexicana; 11-27-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Images
    Toss out the kibbles and bits, that could be why she is so thin. It's full of fillers and crap! Get her something better than that. Orijen is pretty good, I do think they have a puppy formula. Natural Balance is pretty good too and reasonable in price. For such a young pup, you need something way better to give her than kibbles and bits. It just has very little nutritional value with corn and by products. They do have fish based formulas if your pup is allergic to chicken and beef. I think Natural Balance may be All life Stages which is OK to feed your pup.
    http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/allergy.html

Satin Balls:
    http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

Orijen:
    http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/puppy.aspx

Depressing subject, but has she been tested for parvo? If not, I would. It's not expensive, and if she's that young and rapidly losing weight, that would be one of my first thoughts.

Images
    i would take her back in to the vet get another head to toe check up if she comes back normal maybe try a raw diet?

Quote Originally Posted by LilianaLove View Post
    Depressing subject, but has she been tested for parvo? If not, I would. It's not expensive, and if she's that young and rapidly losing weight, that would be one of my first thoughts.
    ^^^This was my first thought as well. We had a member here with an older, fully vaccinated dog who just came down with parvo.

Although your vet may have given a clean bill of health, I'd hunt around for a second, or even third opinion. I've never had a pup turn down food, or heard of a healthy one who would do so, especially when offered a higher grade, stinky dog food (like TOTW etc). I'd also get a full blood panel done because I'm paranoid.

How many times have you tried other foods so far?

Get yourself a quality, grain free, kibble. Maybe try a lamb and rice formula. Add something appealing to it such as egg, fish oil, a lil spoon of gravy, a spoon of yogurt and stick with it for at least a couple months. Changing food could be upsetting her tummy and making her not want to eat..

Quote Originally Posted by MJJean View Post
    Get yourself a quality, grain free, kibble. Maybe try a lamb and rice formula. Add something appealing to it such as egg, fish oil, a lil spoon of gravy, a spoon of yogurt and stick with it for at least a couple months. Changing food could be upsetting her tummy and making her not want to eat..

Or she could be holding out because she knows you'll give her something different!

Either way - pick a good food and stick with it. I'd go back to Taste of the Wild. Healthy dogs won't starve themselves to death! If she truly doesn't eat it and start gaining weight, then a full medical panel should be done.

Here is a link to some puppy food I found at Tractor Supply this weekend. I'm trying to help my 19 week old pup gain some weight and hopefully this will help her out. She loves it and it is not expensive at all.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/content/storeevents/4health_puppy_formula

I agree test her for parvo and what everyone else said about the kibble!

also even though she is "fully vaccinated" she really isn't, she is WAY to young to be fully vaccinated, any shots before she was off her mothers milk don't count because the antibodies she was getting from that milk kill off the vaccination.

the 1st part of this link tells the new regulations on vaccinations
    good news for people who watch vaccinations!!

TRIM YOUR DOGS NAILS BEFORE I BRING IT UP Land, right next to MD
    Images
    If you get her a decent food... add a lil bit of warm water into the dry kibble... and see if ur pup will eat it like that. Also, you could try some wet food OFF OF A GOOD BRAND DOG FOOD. I've seen some pups not want dry kibble and if you add some warm water in with it, it brings out the aroma and yummm... that $#@! is instantly delish! lol.

Please take her back to the vet and have her checked for Parvo as others have suggested.

If I had a blue coated dog that was causing me that much trouble, I sure in the hell wouldnt get ANOTHER blue coated pup..lol. ;p

Anyways.. another vet visit is a MUST if you want to help you puppy
    !

Just throwing this out there, but why are you allowing her access to baby formula? Isn't...baby formula expensive? Why are you leaving it around where an unsupervised 7 week old puppy can get into it?

15. Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
    If you get her a decent food... add a lil bit of warm water into the dry kibble... and see if ur pup will eat it like that. Also, you could try some wet food OFF OF A GOOD BRAND DOG FOOD. I've seen some pups not want dry kibble and if you add some warm water in with it, it brings out the aroma and yummm... that $#@! is instantly delish! lol.
    I thought everyone always added warm water and goodies to puppy food! I could never figure out what was so interesting about dry hard kibble to a puppy!

So yeah add the water, some good canned food all mixed in, maybe some raw burger, ground turkey, meat drippings etc...

Then, in between meals, put out a little of the dry stuff for a snack so she learns to eat that too

Images
    how is the pup doing?

This sounds very similar to my dog. Davidson. I have a blue nose pit also that lost weight at about the same age. Would not eat at all and became very lethagic. Went to my vet and could not find out what was wrong. Luckily I live in California and close to UC Davis which is one of the best Vet schools in the country - we took him there after my vet (and numerous emergency vet visits) could not find the cause. They ran a ton of tests (including a spinal tap) to determine if his issue was an infection or a virus - they needed to know how to treat with either antibotics or steroids. Taking steroids if it was an ifenction could kill him - we did anitbotics -didn't work - took him back - they kept him for a week and finally our last hope was a dose of steroids for 3 months - start off strong and then taper off. It seems his brain was creating a sickness and his blood cells were fighting off an invisible virus - elevating his white blood cells way more than they were suppose to be. This made him sick - they found it via the spinal tap. The steroid dose worked - we have to give him a dose here and there when he starts to have the symptoms - loss of appetite, loss of weight, loss of hair, and lethargic (we know him like the back of our hand now). We had to find a food BOTH our dogs loved equally - Authority Brand at Pet Smart was a winner - UC Davis said it was good to go. I would definitely find a place like UC Davis (Davis, CA) - maybe you could call them and have them refer you somewhere closer to where you live. It was not cheap to get him healthy - but we could not let him go - as you noted - you are attached. I hope this helps you. Good luck - I know how hard it is when they are pups... That was 3 yrs ago - he has been a normal crazy pitty for about 2 yrs now...
    Last edited by jennbuck; 11-28-2011 at 08:40 PM.

18. thank you all for your suggestions and advice i appreciate it alot! my puppy has diarrhea now and at night when she drinks alot she seems to want to puke but nothing comes up.... her appetite has gotten better, i put her back on the turkey food n i have been putting warmed up chicken broth instead of water in it until its soft she has been eating that 3 times a day and eating all of it.... she drinks about 6 cups of water a day.... i am very concerned about parvo tho... i went to the place i bought her to ask a question about the parents allergys and they had an older pup there who had the runs and smelt VERY horrible like a fishy strong type of diarrhea i think that pup might have parvo and it has been around all the pups since they were born and there are 6 more puppys there being exposed to it every day i feel so bad for them :-( none have their shots..... my puppy has only had her first shot, and i am praying that since feeding off her mothers milk until the day i bought her kept the parvo away, but i do not kno much about it and hoping that her diarrhea is not the cause of the parvo... it does not have that smell to it, and puppy is playful as ever with increased appetite and drinking lots of water im hoping for the best.... i plan on starting her on the satin balls on the 1st and i am watching her appetite and drinking and bathroom habits very closely.... she is still underweight but with the way she has been eating lately i hope she gains it back.... i find myself very pissed off at the people who sold her to me for not taking care of any of them and i am fighting the urge to go save her litter mates and buy all of them because i do not want her any sicker.....

ok so with the satin balls i give her the meat raw?! there's no bacterial or ecoli or any hazards to this?

and regarding the baby formula comment...... my nephew crawls around n leaves his bottle everywhere when they visit n puppy chews off the nipple n drinks wats inside....
    p.s vet says parvo result neg but may be to soon to test? i dont understand this.... im thiinking of finding new vet haha

any first warning signs of parvo i shld be on the look out for? and when i should be concerned and take ehr back?
    i am hoping the runs is just because of all the food switching and ive been on the lookout for the smell and looks of it to be sure its not bloody....
    she is not lethargic at all

I was thinking since the vet said it was negative but might be to soon to tell that just in case she does have it and we dont kno maybe i should encourage her to fatten up alot and maybe put her on a puppy formula to mix in to her nightime feeding of food? i am not sure ive never had a dog with parvo but i have googled it and it said a big cause of death is malnutrition and dehydration.....

I'd still get her tested for parvo - better to be sure than to have her go downhill fast.

The diarrhea is probably from the food change. I am a firm believer in not letting your dog dictate what they get to eat. If she is a healthy puppy, she WILL eat what you put down for her. Get her a good quality food (kibble or raw) and then don't give her anything else. Put the food down at feeding time for 10-15 minutes and then pick it up until the next feeding time (3x a day or so for a young puppy). She will eat when she's hungry as long as she's healthy

I wouldn't take her anywhere other than the vet until she's been completely vaccinated. I would also carry her outside to go potty to limit any contact with the ground as parvo can be anywhere.
    Last edited by dalvers63; 11-30-2011 at 03:39 PM.

20. i agree , a vet visit is a must....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast