1. HELP! My Pit KEEP BANGING HER TAIL AND IT KEEPS BLEEDING

Hi , Can anyone tell me what to do about a happy Pit that wags her tail so much , she makes it bleed. I have tried
    neo-sporin. and bandages. to no avail., shes two years old now and Im worried. Vet said bandage it but it doesnt work.
    I dont want it to get infected.

Images
    I have no real advice other then make sure your dog is never happy :P, honestly though, that sucks..have you told the vet the bandages are failing?

I have the same problem, Sandi's tail is like a lightning bolt, probably broken in two places after whacking it off the ranch slider & a car door. My only thought has been to tie a tin of beans to the end.

Images
    Get Nustock

I had the same problem, I work at a pharmacy and was able to get a hold of some dermabond. Worked great! I know that stuff isn't over the counter, so maybe try liquid bandaid. Good luck!

Images
    Hello and welcome to Pit Bull Chat!
    I hope you'll stay and become an active part of our community, there is a lot to learn and tons of fun to be had here!
    What a coincidence, just yesterday we were discussing Sydneys' boy Arson who had the same problem and ended up needing surgery to correct it. Hope you get it all figured out! Best of luck! :)

Here at PBC we stride to encourage responsible ownership through education and enlightenment. We know that knowledge and hard facts are our best weapons in the fight against Breed Specific Legislation and the horribly misconstrued reputation that these dogs have come to face. Our primary goal is to provide education to the public about the nature of the American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) and related breeds such as the American Staffordshire Terrier (AST) Staffordshire Bull Terrier (SBT) and American Bully, all of which are often referred to as Pit Bulls. With a wide range of sizes and colors, and an ever-increasing mixed-breed population, the pit bull presents a challenge for those who would define it. These days, it seems that everyone knows what a "pit bull" is and that "they" are dangerous. This ambiguous status has led to vague definitions of the pit bull in breed-banning ordinances, and the label "pit bull" has been applied generically to any dog that appears dangerous. In fact, over eighty percent of Americans, when faced with pictures of the American Pit Bull Terrier and related breeds, fail to correctly identify the APBT. Can you spot the true Pit Bull? Click here to find out.

We are dedicated to the preservation of the Pit Bull in it's modern occupation as a loyal companion and outstanding athlete. At PBC we are opposed to all forms of animal cruelty and do not condone any sort of illegal activities, we chose to embrace the history of the Pit Bull and we value its qualities of courage, strength and tenacity as the very essence of this breed. Despite the general reputation of fighting dogs, it is the Pit Bulls history as such that has made it such a fine companion animal. Handled extensively by humans who regularly separated fighting dogs in the pit, Pit Bulls became uniquely human-friendly. A dog who would injure a human without human error or provocation was removed from breeding stock. That is why the true Pit Bull is uniquely responsive to humans and will go to amazing lengths to please its owner, allowing them to excel as working dogs regardless of the task given to do. However, it is obvious that guardian work is a job they are NOT suited for! To learn more about the history of the Pit Bull, please visit the History section of the forum. :D

We cannot stress enough that ownership of this fine breed is not for everyone. It is very important for an owner to recognize that because of it's history, the Pit Bull has a genetic predisposition to Dog Aggression (DA) such as the Greyhounds genetic abilities to run, the Labrador to retrieve, and so on. This does not necessarily mean that every Pit Bull dog will be DA, but that it is always a possibility for every Pit Bull dog.

To get started, check out the following links and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Forum Rules
    Fast Track for New Members - MUST READ for New Owners
    General Myths
    Owners Code of Ethics
    The Risks & Benefits of Spaying/Neutering
    So, You Want To Breed Your Female?
    Recognizing an Unethical Breeder
    Does My Dog Look Like a Pit Bull?
    The Pit Bull & Aggression
    Always Expect a Bulldog To Fight
    Using a Break-Stick
    DON'T Leave your Dogs Unsupervised
    Pit Bulls and Dog parks

If you need a hand with anything don't hesitate to send me a private message and I will do what I can to help as soon as possible. :)

Images
    I know 2 dogs who've had that problem, ended up getting docked to prevent blood all over the house. :p Always looks godawful though (late docks, I mean).

Liquid bandages have worked great for that in my experience

We just went through this and had to have a partial dock of our dogs tail because it started dying. That was the worst surgery I have ever had to try to have a dog heal from...took months, and 2 subsequent surgeries. Had I known that in the beginning I would have just done a full dock. GOOD LUCK wish I had some words of wisdom for you :/

Yikes, I keep worrying about something like that happening to my girl, her constantly wagging tail is so enthusiastic, if it hits you in the legs it actually feels like a whip - ouch!

Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this what Happy Tail Syndrome is and it usually ends up with the tail being docked/amputated?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    We just went through this and had to have a partial dock of our dogs tail because it started dying. That was the worst surgery I have ever had to try to have a dog heal from...took months, and 2 subsequent surgeries. Had I known that in the beginning I would have just done a full dock. GOOD LUCK wish I had some words of wisdom for you :/
    This!
    My friend who does rescue went tru this with a dog. My grandfather was a hunter with tons of hunting dog knowledge and always said "if you have to dock a adult dogs tail, go totally gone with it". You dock it down like a rotties. Told my friend and the vet, but they didn't listen, did half the tail and the dog still managed to wack it with most of it gone. So then they had to do another operation to take it totally off.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by _unoriginal View Post
    Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this what Happy Tail Syndrome is and it usually ends up with the tail being docked/amputated?
    Quote Originally Posted by MsAcer View Post
    This!
    My friend who does rescue went tru this with a dog. My grandfather was a hunter with tons of hunting dog knowledge and always said "if you have to dock a adult dogs tail, go totally gone with it". You dock it down like a rotties. Told my friend and the vet, but they didn't listen, did half the tail and the dog still managed to wack it with most of it gone. So then they had to do another operation to take it totally off.
    ^ Exactly what I was talking about.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by _unoriginal View Post
    Yes, I'm not sure how common it is in pit bulls but it happens all the time with Danes.

Images
    I'd $#@!ume that Pit Bulls would be the type who's prone to such mishaps. ;) They tend wag their tales with enthusiasm like nothing else I have seen!

AND have high pain tolerance!

Images
    Yeah, sometimes I think that's why Abbey doesn't have a tail. She wags SO hard and SO often I am sure she would have problems if she wasn't docked. Her whole body moves with the force of her stub-wagging.