View Poll Results: how far or long can supper puppy walk safely?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/2 mile

1 12.50%
  • 1 mile

3 37.50%
  • 1/2 hour

1 12.50%
  • 1 hour

3 37.50%

walking a 18 week old puppy,how far?

lately we have been going on group walks to continue to socialize Reno and Zena.most of these walks are around 4 miles or so and about 2 hours duration.

We have a new friend supper puppy .Supper puppy is about 18 weeks old and could p$#@! as my brindle Zena`s daughter.Supper puppys owner wants to come on the group walks to.How far do you think would be safe for supper puppy to walk.she dosent really pull and can play for hours with my dogs.we are suprised how strong and how much energy she has at 18 weeks.

we were thinking like a mile and a hour or so max?

I try not to go over a mile, I am more pregnant now so I can't even take him walking (my pup is 17 weeks) I also try not to go up and down hills and such, but if any time the pup seems to start to tire we carry him so not to wear him totally out

My trainer said you don't need to go too much more than several 20-minute walks per day, three or four if you can manage it time-wise.

Images
    I'm with Fishbulb... if you could do 3 or 4 20 minute excursions, that would probably be easier than a full hour. But a lot of that will depend on each individual puppy. Some puppies can take on more, some cannot, and you don't want to risk an ACL/CCL injury, so I would break it down to several times a day instead of too much too soon. :)

I Take Zeus (My 19 week old pup) on 3 x 40min Walk/runs a day, and he loves the exercise!

I take Apollo, my 3 mos (12wks) pup around the block, about 15 min, 1/4 mile. Only a couple times a week due to him not being fully vaccinated yet. One more visit later this month. We usually run the on the last leg of it, headed back towards the house. He'll usually start to tire out after about 5 houses of sprints. Last week he spent about 5 hours at the park playing with people and walking around most all the day. Pups a champ!

gsta86, that was what i was doing with Zeus untill he was vacinated, strangely in Australia our Vet only recommended 2 vaccines... >.<
    Eitherway, once fully vaccined we increased his walk each day until now he can do 3x 45min runs/walks each day every day :)

Thanks for all the reply`s. We will limit supper puppy`s walk to 20 minutes or so .malicia the supper puppy is like the energizer bunny.i dropped off a dog house and collar last night after i finished walking my dogs. My dogs played with her for 30 minutes or so,she was still going to the point they were rolling her and leaning on her to make her calm down. A puppy license is a wonder full thing. Sorry it was to dark to get any puppy pics.

9. Jasmine goes to the park down the street and jogs around with me for a half hour or so in the gr$#@!, then we take the long way home, maybe 1/2 mile. The whole thing takes about an hour, and maybe a mile or so. We try and do that at least once, maybe twice a day, if she's feeling rambunctious. If she's really fighting the leash before we get to the end of the block, then we turn around and go back home.

malicia the supper puppy is like the energizer bunny.i dropped off a dog house and collar last night after i finished walking my dogs. My dogs played with her for 30 minutes or so,she was still going to the point they were rolling her and leaning on her to make her calm down. A puppy license is a wonder full thing. Sorry it was to dark to get any puppy pics.
    We brought Jasmine to a friends' house a few weekends ago to play with her 3 year old AmStaff male. They didn't stop playing and chasing and wrestling for nearly 4 hours; we were getting exhausted just watching and keeping an eye on them. She was pretty passed out tired for the next day and a half, though!

Images
    I don't usually walk pups more than a 1/2 hour at a time, but that's just me.
    My main concern is too much time on the pavement ($#@! their joints) because we live in the city.