Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. When will my boy mature

My boy Ghost will be 6 months old in a little over a week, when will he start to mature and try to be his own boss. What signs will I need to look for and what can I do when he gets to that point to make him understand that I'm the boss of him, I think some call it Pack Leader.

Images
    My boy didn't finish growing until he was about 2yrs old, as for having his own mind, they are born with that, but he will start to push his boudaries....just start training him early and you should be good!!!

Images
    I think he's getting to that age where he's going to start testing the limits and trying to push you to break.. I'd suggest (mind you, I've never had a puppy) that you continue (or start, if you haven't) NILIF training so he doesn't feel like he can push you around. It's always easier to maintain control than to lose it and try to get it back.

Your dog doesnt need to "grow up" to understand this. As time goes on you reafrim this. I would highly suggest starting NILIF now. The entire premise behind it is that YOU are in control as the dominant leader in the home. They work for you.

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by _unoriginal View Post
    I think he's getting to that age where he's going to start testing the limits and trying to push you to break.. I'd suggest (mind you, I've never had a puppy) that you continue (or start, if you haven't) NILIF training so he doesn't feel like he can push you around. It's always easier to maintain control than to lose it and try to get it back.
    Ninjad!!! ;)

5. Quote Originally Posted by 4SAKEN View Post
    My boy didn't finish growing until he was about 2yrs old, as for having his own mind, they are born with that, but he will start to push his boudaries....just start training him early and you should be good!!!
    Ok will do

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by _unoriginal View Post
    I'll try it out, I think I saw a post somewhere here about NILIF training. Do you know what he'll start doing to try and test me?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by H3O View Post
    I'll try it out, I think I saw a post somewhere here about NILIF training. Do you know what he'll start doing to try and test me?
    I think mostly he'll just ignore you.. But as long as he's not getting what he wants by demanding it, only by following commands, you should be fine.. It's when you allow the dog to receive things on demand that you start running into problems..

Example: If the dog makes a habit of sitting in front of you and barking/whining until he gets a snack, that's the dog thinking he's in charge and he can "train" you to give him what he wants.

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

This is a good thread to go over too:

Leader and Follower Tips by DRGNRDR

TRIM YOUR DOGS NAILS BEFORE I BRING IT UP Land, right next to MD
    Images
    not goin to laugh, not goiin to laugh. DONT LAUGH. LOL. sorry.. just found the post kinda funnie how it was worded. Guessing you never owned a Bully breed before? Start being the leader..UMM.. now, or better yet... YESTERDAY. :D. Glad to see that you came to the right place to get some info on ur boy tho! Hopefully you stick around. KEEP COMING BACK! :)

Take your boy to some training cl$#@!... not just those really boring annoying ones that teach the basics. But keep it going. MAKE UR DOG AN AMAZING DOG. WE NEED IT FOR THIS BREED. dont fall into the stastics and not exercise/ train ur boy. Good luck1

8. Quote Originally Posted by _unoriginal View Post
    I think mostly he'll just ignore you.. But as long as he's not getting what he wants by demanding it, only by following commands, you should be fine.. It's when you allow the dog to receive things on demand that you start running into problems..

Example: If the dog makes a habit of sitting in front of you and barking/whining until he gets a snack, that's the dog thinking he's in charge and he can "train" you to give him what he wants.

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

This is a good thread to go over too:

Leader and Follower Tips by DRGNRDR
    Thanks, I'll give that thread a read. He's been starting to bark/whine wanting attention,atleast thats what I think because when kids come to visit and they start petting him and stuff then walk away he'll start barking and whining. I've been telling him "No" or "shhh" and he'll stop and lay down, am I correct with my actions or should I do something different. I've heard that you should just ignore them when they behave like that and when I'm alone with him I do and he'll stop but when theres too many people in my house he'll keep going and going thats when I tell him to be quiet.

Images
    Thanks, I'll give that thread a read. He's been starting to bark/whine wanting attention,atleast thats what I think because when kids come to visit and they start petting him and stuff then walk away he'll start barking and whining. I've been telling him "No" or "shhh" and he'll stop and lay down, am I correct with my actions or should I do something different. I've heard that you should just ignore them when they behave like that and when I'm alone with him I do and he'll stop but when theres too many people in my house he'll keep going and going thats when I tell him to be quiet.
    Honestly that's all up in the air. I taught my boys QUIET which works well for them. If I ignore they just keep going and going when I say something, they stop.. So I think if it works for you, use it. I would make it a command though. Something specific that means "no noise should be coming from your mouth".. That's just me though.

My boy Ghost will be 6 months old in a little over a week, when will he start to mature and try to be his own boss. What signs will I need to look for and what can I do when he gets to that point to make him understand that I'm the boss of him, I think some call it Pack Leader.
    I always like to start training a puppy as soon as they come home. If you make him work for his food, such as sit or down or wait or what have you, control where he goes and when, discipline him when he misbehaves etc etc then he will grow up understanding you're the boss. When he hits adolescence he may test boundaries and that's when you reaffirm your training and position in his life.

For physical maturity, he will get as tall as he is going to get at about a year old and then fill out a bit for the next year as a general rule.

For mental maturity my family has a saying. "Dogs are just stupid til they're like 2". Somewhere between 1.5 and 2 years old they start to develop some sense with care and training and are mentally adults therefore much less of a pain to deal with. I figure if you have a stable pup you've been raising right, you'll end up with a great dog that's pretty obedient and trustworthy in about a year :)

11. Quote Originally Posted by _unoriginal View Post
    Honestly that's all up in the air. I taught my boys QUIET which works well for them. If I ignore they just keep going and going when I say something, they stop.. So I think if it works for you, use it. I would make it a command though. Something specific that means "no noise should be coming from your mouth".. That's just me though.
    I'll start using a command from now on to stop him instead of just going shhh or no, maybe I'll use "quiet' as well... Thanks

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MJJean View Post
    I always like to start training a puppy as soon as they come home. If you make him work for his food, such as sit or down or wait or what have you, control where he goes and when, discipline him when he misbehaves etc etc then he will grow up understanding you're the boss. When he hits adolescence he may test boundaries and that's when you reaffirm your training and position in his life.

For physical maturity, he will get as tall as he is going to get at about a year old and then fill out a bit for the next year as a general rule.

For mental maturity my family has a saying. "Dogs are just stupid til they're like 2". Somewhere between 1.5 and 2 years old they start to develop some sense with care and training and are mentally adults therefore much less of a pain to deal with. I figure if you have a stable pup you've been raising right, you'll end up with a great dog that's pretty obedient and trustworthy in about a year :)
    So far I guess I've been doing good, he sits and waits till I say "ok" when I feed him, I make him sit before he goes out for a walk or to go pee/poop, correcting his behavior, etc. When will he hit adolescence and start testing his boundaries? Sorry about my wording, I just wanted to know when he'll hit adolescence and what he'll start to do to test his boudaries, I heard about APBTs taking a year to grow then fill out for another year and taking 2/3yrs to reach adulthood but thanks for letting me know:)

Some APBT do still fill out a bit more between 2 and 3, but generally they are done by 2.

I believe my dogs hit the test the boundaries stage around a year to a year and a half old. Just like people, some dogs mature faster and some mature slower than others. I'd say anywhere from 10 months old to 18 months old he may start being a bit of a jerk. Some dogs adolescence is very pronounced and they seriously try your patience and some dogs just have a short blip and then settle down.

13. Quote Originally Posted by MJJean View Post
    Some APBT do still fill out a bit more between 2 and 3, but generally they are done by 2.

I believe my dogs hit the test the boundaries stage around a year to a year and a half old. Just like people, some dogs mature faster and some mature slower than others. I'd say anywhere from 10 months old to 18 months old he may start being a bit of a jerk. Some dogs adolescence is very pronounced and they seriously try your patience and some dogs just have a short blip and then settle down.
    "...10 months old to 18 months old he may start being a bit of a jerk." This made me laugh... Very helpful though, thank you.:)

Images
    Physically, he will be mature by about 18 months... mentally, he won't mature till about 3 years old..... and for about 4-5 years, you'll have the antics of a constant 2 year old toddler in your home.... Where are you?, What have you been doing?, What are you into?, what do you have?, Where did you get that?, What's that in your mouth?,..... too late, he swallowed it!!, What did you roll in?, Get out of the mud!!, Stop rolling in that dead frog!!, Get out of the flowers!, Stop chewing on the trees!, Get out of the water!, Don't jump on the bed with those muddy feet!!! ...... yeah, you have a fun few years ahead!

15. Quote Originally Posted by Mollie's Nana View Post
    Physically, he will be mature by about 18 months... mentally, he won't mature till about 3 years old..... and for about 4-5 years, you'll have the antics of a constant 2 year old toddler in your home.... Where are you?, What have you been doing?, What are you into?, what do you have?, Where did you get that?, What's that in your mouth?,..... too late, he swallowed it!!, What did you roll in?, Get out of the mud!!, Stop rolling in that dead frog!!, Get out of the flowers!, Stop chewing on the trees!, Get out of the water!, Don't jump on the bed with those muddy feet!!! ...... yeah, you have a fun few years ahead!
    I guess I'll need to exercise him a lot both physically and mentally during that time

Quote Originally Posted by Mollie's Nana View Post
    See, Ike was hell on wheels for about 4-6 months between 1.5 and 2. He hit 2 and it was like a switch clicked and all of a sudden he was a model dog. No trouble, following commands the first time I gave them etc. etc. For that 4-6 months I thought I would be insane and we'd never get through it. I was asking myself 4 times a day why I got a stubborn bulldog and thinking maybe I should have gone with a nice fish instead.

Owen wasn't bad at all, other than eating things that are not food, and he lost 90% of his bad habits at 1 year. Course, he's a Basset Hound and really can't reach much. But when I tell him to do something or not to do something he may look away and think about disobeying but all I have to do is say his name in a serious voice and he complies.

Rita I got as a 1.5 year old and she was already well trained. I just had to refine her a bit because her previous owner let her do a few things I did not allow, but she picked it up fast and if she ever went through a rebellious teen stage, I missed it.

Renee is a great pup, but at 5 months she is a pain. She listens wonderfully once she understands what I want of her and she is quick to figure it out. Unfortunately, she seems to have a cheerful mischief mindset. "Oh, I can't do that? Ok! I will go get into this thing instead!"

Sandi is approaching 3 years & still displays some puppy like behaviour but also some mature dog independence. Physically I guess she was done by 2 years but is still getting fitter. The environment, boundaries & commands she started with at 6 months have not changed & the dog has never shown any dis-obedience or challenging behaviour.

TRIM YOUR DOGS NAILS BEFORE I BRING IT UP Land, right next to MD
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mollie's Nana View Post

LOL . AGREE. tis why my nxt pup i wil adopt will be around 3 ish.. :D LOVED UR POst MOLLIES NANA!

I got Baloo when he was about 8 months and right now he is 14 months. The first two months were a headache just because he had SO MANY bad manners, once he started learning, he segwayed (sp?) nicely into a big brat.

I thought for sure I would strangle him at some point and was so envious of the people in our obedience cl$#@! with golden retrievers and hound dogs that were just perfect little models of an obedient dog. While I would get up in front of everyone to show a command we had mastered over and over again just to have him play stupid and embarr$#@! me... Haha. They can be jerks...

But at 14 months I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel because now he listens better and is generally more calm and obedient. But that could also come with just the fact that he's finally adjusted to me. Who knows. But I imagine he won't be all the way there til about 2 years. Which I'm okay with, because as long as I can see the light, I'm good!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
    LOL . AGREE. tis why my nxt pup i wil adopt will be around 3 ish.. :D LOVED UR POst MOLLIES NANA!
    Sometimes even Mollie (who is 7 yrs old this December) will act like a pup.... and Gizzmo will be 13 yrs old next Friday, and sometimes, he acts like a 6 month old pup... So sometimes, they mature, and sometimes.... not so much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast