How long does it usually take a dog to adjust to a new food.

Okay so I seriously forgot how EASY it was to go from a high quality food to a low Quality food. But then I also forgot how HARD it is to go from a Low Quality Food to a Higher Quality Food.

Okay as you know things were tight so my Husband bought the dog a bag of Pedigree (I shudder just thinking about it). She was on it for close to a month. She didn't have any problems with the switch. Really its rare she has problems when switching foods. Only time she had a real issue was when we went from Kibbles n Bits when she was like 8 months old to California Natural. But she has never had an issue going from Cal Natural to Merrick back to Cal Natural to TOTW. I know that sounds like I lot but we never switched her food that much. We just tried a few out after Trouble died.

So she is back on Cal Natural. Yes I made the mistake of doing it cold Turkey but again with her history it didn't seem like a bad idea. Especially since I WAS NOT going to go out and get another bag of pedigree.

So that was a week and a half ago according to my husband. She has had the runs for a week and has litterally destroyed my new carpet. She never used the bathroom in the house....EVER. Only way she would have an accident in the house is if she doesn't feel good. And well its diarea so.

How long does it usually take a dog to adjust to a new food. I don't like having to confine her so much right now.

My crew adjusted withing days because I wasn't buying another bag of crap, either, but every dog is different. Any chance she is eating something in the house or outside that's giving her the runs? You guys just moved, right? Stress from the move? Parasite she picked up outside in the new place?

I would make her fast a day, then give her some pumpkin (not pie filling the real stuff from a can) or canned sweet potatoes (I always use sweet potatoes) in her kibble for a few days, it should help a lot and get her GI going back on track

Quote Originally Posted by MJJean View Post
    My crew adjusted withing days because I wasn't buying another bag of crap, either, but every dog is different. Any chance she is eating something in the house or outside that's giving her the runs? You guys just moved, right? Stress from the move? Parasite she picked up outside in the new place?
    Inside the house no, outside doubt it because she is always on a leash. However we did have her at the park offleash a few days ago. BUT I was watching her like a hawk. Funny how the next day she seemed sick. As far as the new place suggestion my friend Nicole brought that up to me a few minutes ago when she dropped off the steam cleaner. She reminded me that the apartment doesn't even require proof of vaccines when letting a dog in here. She suggested since the vet is already closed and Sash seems to be doing better today. However she seemed to be doing better yesterday too before crapping all over my living room. Anyway she said if she is still doing it Monday probably should take her in.

And I totally agree.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Elliehanna View Post
    I would make her fast a day, then give her some pumpkin (not pie filling the real stuff from a can) or canned sweet potatoes (I always use sweet potatoes) in her kibble for a few days, it should help a lot and get her GI going back on track
    I did fast her yesterday and after reading this I just called my husband and told him to bring home the canned pumpkin. He knows what to get. We had to get it alot when Trouble was alive due to his GI issues.

24 hours and no issues. She seems to be feeling a lot better too. :)

Yay!!!

48 hours! I think we're good now.