Images

Excessive drooling?

Hurls has been drooling A LOT in the past few days.
    Like, an abnormal amount.

The first time was yesterday morning, I thought it was because we got up late and in turn didn't feed him as early as usual.

Well, he had dinner about an hour or two ago and he is doing it again.

Nothing else seems off at all.
    I'll be keeping a close eye on him.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what his "issue" may be?

I've heard dogs will drool excessively if they have eaten something with chemicals in it.

A lot of diff. things can cause drooling.
    I'm not too sure of many serious cases but I'd guess that most of the time it's not serious at all.
    Our girl drooled a lot right after she had gotten into poison (but there were tons of other obvious signs that something was wrong).
    And like MJJean said, products with chemicals, products that have alcohol, topical flea preventatives, etc. will cause drooling.

A couple days ago I was reading an interesting article out of a very old dog book that I have. This physiologist did studies on dogs salivation relating to food.
    UCS (unconditioned stimulus)- which in his studies was meat powder.
    UCR (unconditioned response)- The physiologist blew meat powder in a dogs mouth which produced a normal amount of saliva... he then called it UCR.
    If a bell was rung immediately prior to the introduction of the meat powder, after several trials, the ringing of the bell alone would initiate excessive salivation.
    CS (conditioned stimulus)- the bell
    CR (conditioned response)- the resulting salivation after the bell had been rung before the meat powder was given.

So a sound can set a dog off into drooling.
    At our house this would be equivelant to the 'cookie jar' accidently being bumped or a pan hitting the kitchen floor.
    Or for one of our dogs the drooling starts when I turn on the tredmill because he knows he gets to have his ball and just can't wait.

Maybe a certain noise or activity is causing your dog to drool because he wants something at that given point in time.
    I would say the first drooling issue you mentioned was because of being fed late... our male does that too.
    And maybe something else caused it the next day and they are irrelevant to each other, Idk.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

Oh and snakes make our dogs drool/foam lol.

Images
    ^^^Pavlov.. I was thinking the same thing when I read this thread.

I've got nothing to add. Sorry.

Images
    I think I may have solved this puzzle.
    He's teething. :rolleyes: He lost the last of his puppy teeth just recently and his adult chompers are coming in.
    A few parenting/baby-related websites go on about excessive drooling during the teething stage, so I'm thinking that's what it is.

(Drooling) Common Causes:
    Isolated drooling in infants and toddlers is normal and is unlikely to be a sign of either disease or complications. It may be $#@!ociated with teething.
    Drooling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've had a lot of puppies come through my house, and none of them ever drooled while they were losing their teeth.

Generally speaking, if they're just walking around drooling, it's a sign of nausea or stress. My parents Lab will do this when he's stressed out, just drools everywhere, it's disgusting.

7. I remember raj licked malice after i put frontline on her. He was drooling ALOT i thought he was going to die, but the vet told me to wait it out

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I'd go around and check the yard for plants that have been eaten, check the yard and house for chemicals he could have gotten into and maybe look for some strange bugs or small animals hanging around he might have eaten.

I haven't had a dog drool a lot when teething, but I have had one drool a lot when something was caught in his teeth. I totally spaced that until someone mentioned teeth and it poked my rather pitiful memory. One of my goobers.. I think Ike...had a lot of drool and it turned out he had a piece of a plastic bottle cap between his teeth.

Pop his mouth open, use a flashlight and check between his teeth for anything that might be stuck in there. Also check the fleshy parts of his mouth and visible throat tissue to see if anything he was chewing on got embedded like maybe a thorn or a shard of a toy or something.

Quote Originally Posted by _unoriginal View Post
    ^^^Pavlov.. I was thinking the same thing when I read this thread.

I've got nothing to add. Sorry.
    Ya lol.
    I'm surprised you got that.
    I thought my book was all old and out dated and that no one would know who that was because I've never heard of him other than in this book.
    It's Dog Behavior (Why Dogs Do What They Do) by Dr. Ian Dunbar .... and has a lot of other mentioned names in it like Pavlov.

Images
    Well, from what I have read pain or irritation (specifically in the mouth) can also cause drooling.
    I checked his mouth very well for a foreign object but didn't find anything.
    I've already looked around and I can't find anything inside that he could have gotten into....
    Outside my only idea would be Mountain Ash berries (there's a Rowan tree in our yard) which could be the cause, but we pick them up as soon as they fall and he's always supervised outside so I don't think that's it. I can't help but think it must be teething as everything else (from his appetite to his poop) is normal.
    He is bleeding in a few places (on and off) from his teeth coming through.
    It's not like he is constantly drooling, it's on and off for short periods of time.
    That's what makes me think it's from teething pain.
    Y'know when you get a tooth pulled (or are having some other mouth pain) and you can't stop drooling?

Excessive Drooling

When new teeth are growing in, saliva production typically increases. You may find that your puppy is drooling everywhere. Typically this will stop after teething unless you own a breed of dog that is prone to drooling, such as a boxer or a bull dog.
    Side Effects of Puppy Teething | DailyPuppy.com
    Last edited by Sabrina; 10-08-2011 at 12:20 PM.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Blaze N' Pits View Post
    Ya lol.
    I'm surprised you got that.
    I thought my book was all old and out dated and that no one would know who that was because I've never heard of him other than in this book.
    It's Dog Behavior (Why Dogs Do What They Do) by Dr. Ian Dunbar .... and has a lot of other mentioned names in it like Pavlov.
    Geez...operant and classical conditioning...I learned this stuff in high school intro to psychology cl$#@!....this is BASIC stuff! Don't they teach this anymore?

Carla

Images
    Well we were just outside and he started sniffing intensely at Le Mew (the foster cat that we have in a large enclosure outside) and started drooling again.
    As soon as I removed him from the situation, the drooling stops.
    So maybe it has something to do with excitement/frustration? That would explain why it's happening randomly, on and off.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Thought I should also mention that the drool is somewhat "watery" in texture. It's not stringy or foamy like Jade's drool is when she is stressed.

Is he neutered? I've seen intact males drool when aroused.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Just read your last post. Probably just excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagebrush View Post
    Geez...operant and classical conditioning...I learned this stuff in high school intro to psychology cl$#@!....this is BASIC stuff! Don't they teach this anymore?

Carla
    Maybe not everyone took psychology in high school... and for those who did, maybe they didn't care. ;)

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

I'll have to agree that he's just excited. Rocko does that watery drooling any time we are holding any of his toys... he also does 'chatter jaws' lol.

Images
    Ha. I took psych in h/s in 2002 then I took it again in college in 2004. I cared about it so I remembered. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze N' Pits View Post

I'll have to agree that he's just excited. Rocko does that watery drooling any time we are holding any of his toys... he also does 'chatter jaws' lol.
    Our neutered male 'chatters' when the intact female is in heat. Boys will be boys.

Images
    Yeah, Bransen chatters and drools during hard work/play sometimes, he's always done it and it has never concerned me.
    I think it probably is just excitement in combination with the pain of his teething that's causing his droolfest.

Quote Originally Posted by LilianaLove View Post
    Our neutered male 'chatters' when the intact female is in heat. Boys will be boys.
    Both our altered male and female chatter when they sniff each other... $#@!s lol. Our female also humps our male and I'm not sure if it is completely her trying to show her dominance or if it's a combination of that and her being really horney lol... they do some weird $#@! sometimes like 69-ing all the time, even infront of company but anyways lol......

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by _unoriginal View Post
    Ha. I took psych in h/s in 2002 then I took it again in college in 2004. I cared about it so I remembered. ;)
    That's awesome. I bet you learned a lot from it. Now that I think about it, I don't even think my hs offered a phychology cl$#@! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze N' Pits View Post
    A lot of diff. things can cause drooling.
    I'm not too sure of many serious cases but I'd guess that most of the time it's not serious at all.
    Our girl drooled a lot right after she had gotten into poison (but there were tons of other obvious signs that something was wrong).
    And like MJJean said, products with chemicals, products that have alcohol, topical flea preventatives, etc. will cause drooling.

A couple days ago I was reading an interesting article out of a very old dog book that I have. This physiologist did studies on dogs salivation relating to food.
    UCS (unconditioned stimulus)- which in his studies was meat powder.
    UCR (unconditioned response)- The physiologist blew meat powder in a dogs mouth which produced a normal amount of saliva... he then called it UCR.
    If a bell was rung immediately prior to the introduction of the meat powder, after several trials, the ringing of the bell alone would initiate excessive salivation.
    CS (conditioned stimulus)- the bell
    CR (conditioned response)- the resulting salivation after the bell had been rung before the meat powder was given.

So a sound can set a dog off into drooling.
    At our house this would be equivelant to the 'cookie jar' accidently being bumped or a pan hitting the kitchen floor.
    Or for one of our dogs the drooling starts when I turn on the tredmill because he knows he gets to have his ball and just can't wait.

Maybe a certain noise or activity is causing your dog to drool because he wants something at that given point in time.
    I would say the first drooling issue you mentioned was because of being fed late... our male does that too.
    And maybe something else caused it the next day and they are irrelevant to each other, Idk.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

Oh and snakes make our dogs drool/foam lol.

ok couldd my guess be a possibility also?well my "primo" would drool excessively when i take him to this new big enclosed dog park by my house,im guessing from excitement?haha he gets it allover the other dogs he play with,and man when he shakes his head you better not be around unless you want a drool shower,lolz!everytime he does that i think bout that "turner n hooch" guy,could he be part of that breed dog,hahaha.i think the chemical thing could be a suspect too because when i give him a bath he licks the shampoo of his coat,and i can only keep him from doin that so much,so i suspect that too

20. I have been reading the thread looking for answers to my girls excessive drooling. The only difference I am seeing is how often this occurs, it seems after each meal recently she excessively drools until she goes to bed for the night. As it is not always I am seeing trends of this occurring after runs and then meals with in 30min of a mild run or brisk walk. It used to happen about once a month but has been happening a few days a week. She is 6 and about 85 lbs. Thank you for any advise :)