Thread: Deaf Pitbull

1. Deaf Pitbull

I own an 8 month old pitbull who is completely deaf. I bought her when she was 6 months old and as a small puppy she was never socialized. She lives with my other german shep and they are best friends, and occasionally visits my parents two pitbulls when I go home. She is not dog aggressive to my parents dogs but last night the other female (my pits name is Kai also female) and her got into a fight. I had a very hard time trying to get her off of the other pitbull because she could not hear me. Also, when I take her on walks she is very obedient until another dog is around. She completely changes into a different dog! I bought a muzzle and a shock collar...but havent used either. I really want to socialize her so that I can somewhat trust her around other dogs. I can't afford obedience cl$#@! either. Any tips on how to deal with this??

Your difficulty in getting her off the other dog had nothing to do with her deafness. She is a Pit Bull. Dog aggression comes with the breed. Most DA dogs in a fight won't break it up on verbal command. They are too into what they are doing, too stubborn to quit. It is common for dogs to "turn on" sometime around maturity. Some earlier, some later.

You can manage DA, but you cannot train it out of her. The breed was designed and bred for dog on dog combat. It's in the genes. Retrievers retrieve, herding dogs herd, ratters rat, hounds sniff and Pit Bulls fight.

Your best bet is to crate and rotate or use some other method of keeping the dogs separate. Get a break stick (sometimes called a parting stick) and learn to properly use it just in case. When you aren't home make sure they cannot get to each other.

If you want to continue walking her where other dogs will be seen you can train her to focus on you and ignore the other dogs so she isn't acting the fool. Since she is deaf, use hand signals.

How do you know your dog is deaf? Have you had her BAER tested to find out for sure? Have you had any training with how to properly use a shock collar? If not you'll only end up doing more damage than good, especially in the wrong situation like a fight, where the collar shouldn't be used at all. Did you know the dog was possibly deaf before you got it?

BAER testing isn't cheap but well worth it if you want to truly know if she's completely or partially deaf. Which will help determine what training method would be best for her.

http://www.lsu.edu/deafness/baersite.htm

My boy Powder (avatar) is partially deaf, but everyone through his adoption process told me he was deaf. Couldn't hear anything, when I asked had he been tested,.. nothing but the usual hand claps, whistle and banging pans during his evaluation. Just from the little time I spent visiting with him I wasn't convinced and adopted him anyway. I had him tested and he's deaf in his left ear but has partial hearing in his right.

I started his training with Sit means Sit to learn how to use the shock collar since I like to take him on hikes and let him off leash. If she is deaf, training a deaf dog isn't much different from one that's not, you just use hand signals instead of verbal. In order to do that you have to work with her to be able to get and keep her attention on you.

Until then like previously mentioned the dogs should be separated to prevent more fights.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MJJean View Post
    Your difficulty in getting her off the other dog had nothing to do with her deafness. She is a Pit Bull. Dog aggression comes with the breed. Most DA dogs in a fight won't break it up on verbal command. They are too into what they are doing, too stubborn to quit. It is common for dogs to "turn on" sometime around maturity. Some earlier, some later.

You can manage DA, but you cannot train it out of her. The breed was designed and bred for dog on dog combat. It's in the genes. Retrievers retrieve, herding dogs herd, ratters rat, hounds sniff and Pit Bulls fight.

Your best bet is to crate and rotate or use some other method of keeping the dogs separate. Get a break stick (sometimes called a parting stick) and learn to properly use it just in case. When you aren't home make sure they cannot get to each other.

If you want to continue walking her where other dogs will be seen you can train her to focus on you and ignore the other dogs so she isn't acting the fool. Since she is deaf, use hand signals.
    MJ beat me to it and said it better than I would have.
    As usual! :o

I love training deaf dogs far more than hearing dogs! Being fluent in sign language and hearing impaired myself, it's much easier.

However - as MJ said, your issues with her are not a result of her being deaf. She is a Pit Bull, and you should do more research on what is entailed in owning one :)

6. When I bought Kai I had no Idea she was deaf, and yes I had her tested. I own three pitbulls, I absolutely know whats entailed in owning one. And my issue is with her being deaf. She becomes aggressive when she is frightened, She doesn't understand when another dog is telling her to backoff. I bought a buzz collar to get her attention which is working greatly. My vet also gave me a laser (which can cause OCD if used to much) to shine in front of her to distract her. I've been working on getting her to focus more on me when we go on walks by holding a treat in front of her nose and bringing it slowly to my face.

Define "aggressive" when she becomes frightened? What frightens her? Who/what does she go after, and how?

Not understanding when another dog is telling her to back off is a PUPPY thing, not strictly a deaf dog thing.

Where are you located?

"And my issue is with her being deaf."

If you own three pit bulls, then you shouldn't at all be shocked about her not getting along with other dogs, and your other dog is also female, asking for problems, that's the issue. She's deaf, which means not impossible to train but need dedication, and even if you train her to focus on you during walks, you can not leave her alone with your other dog. Figure out if you have th
    e time for crate and rotate, training and a DA dog. If not, find a proper rescue for her. At only 8 months, she's already learned what it's like to get another dog. You have three Pits and didn't have a break-stick already and think it's because she's deaf she didn't stop. I don't like this situation.

She doesn't have to hear to know a dog wants her to "back off" they read body language and she is DA, so deal with it and don't blame the ears.

dogs dont usually "talk" by noise, they talk with body language. so that has nothing to do with anything. you NEED a break stick. please listen to these people.

Deaf dogs normally read body language better than hearing dogs. I own a deaf dog and have fostered several. The last pit bull I fostered was deaf. She startled a little when I got her, but we worked with her and after about a week, me touching her or bumping into her even while sleeping didn't faze her. We used treats and would tap her and when she turned around I was there with food. And then we slowly weaned off food and just offered some petting or a toy as she got used to it. I still wish I would have kept her. She was a great dog.

Dog aggression is normal. It is very common for females to not get along as well. I would keep her separated. Being deaf has nothing to do with her behavior towards the other dogs. She is a pit bull and while you may have raised others, it doesn't change the fact as a breed pit bulls are dog aggressive and will fight if given the chance. Sure some love other dogs, some can coexist with other dogs, but not all of them do!