1. New to this breed--do they have a distinct odor?

We found a pit bull living under out pick up truck during Hurricane Irene--no tags, no one looking for him--so we have adopted him. He is under 2, according to the vet, has a skin condition/fleas/ mange (being treated), has just been neutered, given shots, etc.

Here is one of our primary problems: He has a very strange odor--not an odor we've ever $#@!ociated with the many dogs we've had in our home. Do pits have a peculiar scent? We've bathed him but the smell comes back pretty quickly and unfortunately, we think my husband is allergic to him. I realize it could be his diet, so we are in the process of trying to find another food that will work for him.

We would hate to have to find him another home because of this problem. Thanks.

Images
    If you let him roll in something... he will :) Seriously though, no, no particular smell of this breed. You may be correct about diet. Good luck!

TRIM YOUR DOGS NAILS BEFORE I BRING IT UP Land, right next to MD
    Images
    I would say ... that the smell is from the mange. but please do not repeat " Do pits have a peculiar scent?"..lol. Get him on a grain free diet.. preferably away from the chicken if possible.. IF not just try the grain free. Look in the http://www.pitbull-chat.com/forumdis...tritional-Care part of the forum.. you should find a good bit of info about things you want to know!! There is a $#@!laod of good info on here... you just have to sort thru it.

I would say.. Your husband could poss. be getting a reactions from the 'skin condition/fleas/ mange' please give him some time!!!

Hopefully you come back and stay, its a great forum... just takes awhile to get used to!!

Images
    Hello and welcome to Pit Bull Chat!
    I hope you'll stay and become an active part of our community, there is a lot to learn and tons of fun to be had here!
    I agree with kamikaze, the odor could very well be from the mange. Though, just like with humans, diet does effect a dogs odor as well.
    What are you currently feeding your dog?
    Check out our Health & Nutritional care section to learn more. :) Best of luck with him!

Here at PBC we stride to encourage responsible ownership through education and enlightenment. We know that knowledge and hard facts are our best weapons in the fight against Breed Specific Legislation and the horribly misconstrued reputation that these dogs have come to face. Our primary goal is to provide education to the public about the nature of the American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) and related breeds such as the American Staffordshire Terrier (AST) Staffordshire Bull Terrier (SBT) and American Bully, all of which are often referred to as Pit Bulls. With a wide range of sizes and colors, and an ever-increasing mixed-breed population, the pit bull presents a challenge for those who would define it. These days, it seems that everyone knows what a "pit bull" is and that "they" are dangerous. This ambiguous status has led to vague definitions of the pit bull in breed-banning ordinances, and the label "pit bull" has been applied generically to any dog that appears dangerous. In fact, over eighty percent of Americans, when faced with pictures of the American Pit Bull Terrier and related breeds, fail to correctly identify the APBT. Can you spot the true Pit Bull? Click here to find out.

We are dedicated to the preservation of the Pit Bull in it's modern occupation as a loyal companion and outstanding athlete. At PBC we are opposed to all forms of animal cruelty and do not condone any sort of illegal activities, we chose to embrace the history of the Pit Bull and we value its qualities of courage, strength and tenacity as the very essence of this breed. Despite the general reputation of fighting dogs, it is the Pit Bulls history as such that has made it such a fine companion animal. Handled extensively by humans who regularly separated fighting dogs in the pit, Pit Bulls became uniquely human-friendly. A dog who would injure a human without human error or provocation was removed from breeding stock. That is why the true Pit Bull is uniquely responsive to humans and will go to amazing lengths to please its owner, allowing them to excel as working dogs regardless of the task given to do. However, it is obvious that guardian work is a job they are NOT suited for! To learn more about the history of the Pit Bull, please visit the History section of the forum. :D

We cannot stress enough that ownership of this fine breed is not for everyone. It is very important for an owner to recognize that because of it's history, the Pit Bull has a genetic predisposition to Dog Aggression (DA) such as the Greyhounds genetic abilities to run, the Labrador to retrieve, and so on. This does not necessarily mean that every Pit Bull dog will be DA, but that it is always a possibility for every Pit Bull dog.

To get started, check out the following links and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Forum Rules
    Fast Track for New Members - MUST READ for New Owners
    General Myths
    Owners Code of Ethics
    The Pit Bull & Aggression
    Always Expect a Bulldog To Fight
    Using a Break-Stick
    DON'T Leave your Dogs Unsupervised
    Pit Bulls and Dog parks
    The Risks & Benefits of Spaying/Neutering
    So, You Want To Breed Your Female?
    Recognizing an Unethical Breeder
    Does My Dog Look Like a Pit Bull?

If you need a hand with anything don't hesitate to send me a private message and I will do what I can to help as soon as possible. :)

5. Mine has the same problem, got him a week ago and he smells, we bathed him 3 times already and still have the smell. I changed his diet to Nutro Ultra and hopefully that will make him better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk