Pit Bulls. Originally bred for fighting or Bull baiting?

I've got some moron trying to tell me that Pit bulls were never originally bred for the intention of fighting. It just happened that they were used for fighting because they were the breed that had that drive about them and would make good fighters. Basically they are telling me that they were bred for bull baiting, and then it became illegal and then people turned to use them for dog fighting. Don't get me wrong I hate the idea of dogfighting and think its sick and I"m so glad its illegal. But wasn't that their original purpose?

Somebody please fill me in on why the APBT was created.

As I understand it, the original bull baiting dogs are ancestors of the pit bulls we have today, but are not the same dog. When bull baiting was outlawed people turned to fighting dogs instead and started breeding dogs better suited to that using the bull baiting dogs as part of their crosses

So then you are saying the American Pit Bull Terrier as we know it today, was actually created for Fighting purposes but it has ancestors that were used as bull baiting dogs. Because the way I understand it The American Pit Bull Terrier Was created after Bull baiting itself was outlawed

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by catchrcall View Post
    As I understand it, the original bull baiting dogs are ancestors of the pit bulls we have today, but are not the same dog. When bull baiting was outlawed people turned to fighting dogs instead and started breeding dogs better suited to that using the bull baiting dogs as part of their crosses
    Yeap, this is how I understand it as well.

I have a few write-ups that I keep handy so I don't have to retype the same arguments all the time and this is one of them:

When bull-baiting was outlawed in the 1830s, they created the sport of dog matching (dog fighting). When the sport was created, they began to breed the dogs differently and thus created a new breed. The American Pit Bull Terrier was born. (Reference: http://www.nyx.net/~mbur/apbtfaqover.html)
    Last edited by _unoriginal; 09-14-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Sounds about right to me! Breeds evolve over time, especially when they are bred for a different purpose than they originated with... so yes, I would agree with the above.

Quote Originally Posted by SBTlove View Post
    So then you are saying the American Pit Bull Terrier as we know it today, was actually created for Fighting purposes but it has ancestors that were used as bull baiting dogs. Because the way I understand it The American Pit Bull Terrier Was created after Bull baiting itself was outlawed
    Yes, I would agree with that.

You see that is my arguement. The American Pit Bull Terrier as we know it today. Was indeed bred for sport. For dog fighting. But apparently according to the person I got into a debate with. They were used for bull baiting. Then they started bringing up England and such. And I'm like dude. I'm talking about the American Pit Bull Terrier specifically. They weren't created in england. At least not the American Pit Bull Terrier we know today. They had ancestors that were English bred dogs.

This person just adopted a pit bull apparently according to them. What do I know this was online and it could have just been someone having fun trying to start an arguement. And it was a discussion regarding dog aggression and it came down to me saying that dog aggression is an accepted trait for the breed and it escalated from there
    Last edited by SBTlove; 09-14-2011 at 06:51 PM.

8. The ancestral roots of the original fighting pit bulldog do not lie in America. Their origins do indeed lie in places such as England & Ireland. These dogs were brought to the shores of the America's by immigrants - people such as JP Colby purchased and used them as the basis and foundation for their American bloodlines. (The famous Irish Galtie is but one example.) So these dogs entered America and were used in that original form as fighting dogs in a time when dog fighting was legal and legit and match reports were still published in the official Police Gazette of the time.

To stay on topic - the ancestral home of the Bulldog is not America.

Quote Originally Posted by catchrcall View Post
    this.

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SBTlove View Post
    You see that is my arguement. The American Pit Bull Terrier as we know it today. Was indeed bred for sport. For dog fighting. But apparently according to the person I got into a debate with. They were used for bull baiting. Then they started bringing up England and such. And I'm like dude. I'm talking about the American Pit Bull Terrier specifically. They weren't created in england. At least not the American Pit Bull Terrier we know today. They had ancestors that were English bred dogs.

This person just adopted a pit bull apparently according to them. What do I know this was online and it could have just been someone having fun trying to start an arguement. And it was a discussion regarding dog aggression and it came down to me saying that dog aggression is an accepted trait for the breed and it escalated from there
    it seems even the ones willing to listen even get it wrong. they probably heard it exactly like it was said (the ancestors were bull baiting dogs) and $#@!umed all of those dogs were all lumped into one breed.

10. A question: What were the dogs called that came from Ireland and landed on the shores of Newberry Port, the home of JP Colby? They became APBT's cause they were in America - but when in transit and before actually arriving, what were they called? Anyone?

One old article I read referred to one of the dogs as a bull terrier (not the breed, but as in a bulldog/terrier cross). I'm sure others will let you know what they have heard.

bulldog, bull and terrier, dog mutt, cur, etc

Images
    I think they called them staffords at such time? I'm not sure? that might've come later.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffdog View Post
    I think they called them staffords at such time? I'm not sure? that might've come later.
    too much history to remember all of the time. lol

15. among other things they were called staffordshire pit dogs, black country dogs, bull n terriers and gaming dogs and pit bull terriers ..

These dogs really have quite a history. It sucks a dog with so much history and the majority of society fear them, and many want them destroyed. Breaks my heart.

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Thank you everyone for your responses and please continue. I'm here to learn. And this has been a question in my mind for a long time. I'm not down 100 percent on their history. I know a little but not a lot