Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pregnant Pitbull

Hello, I am just looking for experienced pit owners input on caring for a pregnant pit.

What do you mean exactly?

As she becomes more pregnant, you will have to up her food intake. Best thing is to take her to the vet and get a clean bill of health, then get set up for check point visits, to see how she is progressing. She may need extra vitamins. Also get an ultra sound so you can see how many "expected" pups there will be, and that they are healthy. She can have complications from an inflamed uterus (which could kill them all) to needing a C-section. Dams can also be prone to mange, hair/weight loss, and other things since their bodies are trying to help pups survive more than their own. Best thing is to at least get her a check up. She will still need exercise to stay healthy and happy. Just cause they are preggers doesn't mean they need to be locked in a pen/crate till the pups are 6 weeks old (not saying you were going too to that). Eventually she will prob want to "dig" out a den, and she will need materials to dig into, or she may dig thru your couch (yes...experience talking). Make sure once you have the positive results from the vet that she is indeed preg, apply for your litters papers. You will need the info of the mother AND the father, sometimes with pics. Good Luck!

Images
    How far along is she? Can you spay/abort?

If you don't know how to care for a dog pregnancy, find responsible homes for pups and/or have the financial ability to pay for problems that may come up, a spay/abort is the responsible thing to do.

the above is true...its not totally fun, far from cheap, stressful, and not for profit. I had a litter cost me a total of $1300 for upkeep. no ears done, just food shots, toys, new pup kits
    Last edited by Abhorrence WolfBane; 08-30-2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: typeo

she's 5 weeks along. and we are not keeping the pups after 8 weeks, i've already found responsible homes for them.

Images
    Why was she bred?How old is she?
    I would if you have not take her to a vet for a general check up and to confirm she is pregnant.

I moved your post here in hopes you will get more responses here..

Please get her to a vet for the proper prenatal care and like Abhorrence mentioned, make sure to up her food intake. I've heard a lot say to give her puppy food, but I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in. If this is an unwanted litter, I would look into a spay/abort. Please also consider neutering or spaying the puppies before they go to their new homes.

Great points lmwst18! I always fed wither active dog or puppy food, cause its more calories vs more food, cause some females will only eat so much. At 5 weeks, thats early for an ultra sound to confirm # of pups, so how do you know you have enough homes lined up? They can have anywhere from 1 to 16 (yes, had a 60# dam have 16 pups)
    Last edited by Abhorrence WolfBane; 08-30-2011 at 02:24 PM.

LOL Good luck! Things can go wrong very very quickly if your not prepared. I know from recent experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    LOL Good luck! Things can go wrong very very quickly if your not prepared. I know from recent experience.
    Aww Sorry to hear :( BTW Love your avatar pic!

Quote Originally Posted by lmwst18 View Post
    I moved your post here in hopes you will get more responses here..Please get her to a vet for the proper prenatal care and like Abhorrence mentioned, make sure to up her food intake. I've heard a lot say to give her puppy food, but I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in. If this is an unwanted litter, I would look into a spay/abort. Please also consider neutering or spaying the puppies before they go to their new homes.
    This.

Barf.

14. pregnancy will usually last up to 63 days give or take a few. dont try to move her once she goes into labor, you may complicate things. maybe switch her over to puppy food to help her get the nutrition she needs. emergency c-section can run up to 1500$. get plenty of homes lined up for the pups if you dont already even a few extra just in case. first sets of shots can cost some money so if you know a reputable breeder that can help you get the doses yourself from one of those catalogs that sells vaccines and supplies it will help you in the long run. ( if i remember the name of the catalog i will post) depending on how many she has you may have to rotate or bottle feed yourself if she doesnt produce enough milk. and if this is her first preg. she may try to kill the pups or hurt them. make sure someone is home with her and help her if she allows. good luck

I'm sure your vet will have lots to tell you.

Google how to build a whelping box. You should also send the pups to their homes with a spay/neuter contract.

Honestly I'd just spay/abort. There are tons of pit bulls (both adult and pups) that need homes. Plus, a pregnant momma, then a litter of puppies is hell to take care of, complications can result in death for the dog and/or pups (such as nursing from teats with mastitis, pyometra, emergency c-sections on a holiday/Sunday night etc, momma rejecting the pups (or developing mastitis and you having to bottle feed them every couple of hours until they're old enough to start on puppy food (at least 4 weeks), homes falling through, the list goes on, but the cost can easily go into the thousands even without any complications..).

---------- Post added at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 AM ----------

So wait, you just got this dog several weeks ago right?

16. i would maybe look at giving her calcium suppliments; pups can take a lot out of a bitch,lactol is but one to try. j
    Last edited by jacko; 08-31-2011 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Why was she bred?How old is she?
    I would if you have not take her to a vet for a general check up and to confirm she is pregnant.
    My ex and I decided to breed her, we have a friend who is a breeder who gave her to us. She is 1 year old. And we know for a fact she is pregnant due to her nipples and vagina being so swollen and big and we can feel the puppies in her.

Images
    Why didn't you do the proper research before deciding to breed your bitch?

TRIM YOUR DOGS NAILS BEFORE I BRING IT UP Land, right next to MD
    Images
    ONE YEAR OLD?!?! Im very sorry that you decided to breed your PUP! you should have left the breeding to a REAL breeder.
    WHY EXACTLY did you want to get your 1year old PUP preg?? Just wondering ... i am always curious to why.... Its not really like.. hey get my dog preg, she has her pups, we give them to friends and friends of friends whom may end up pasing them to other peoples friends ...and then those people are prob gna have some kinda "isssues"(whether its not enough $ "had to give her up", cant handle the dog, OH YEAH, WE ARE MOVING AND CANT HAVE DOGS. exc.)when the dog is 1-2 they will end up havin issues and the dog will be placed to another person OR TO THE SHELTER (or god knows where).

IF you could give some GREAT input on WHY you bre her we'd love to heear it.

WHAT ALL DO YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO DO WHILE SHES PREG AND DO WITH THE PUPPIES DURING THEIR 8WEEKS? AND TO ENSURE THAT THEY DONT BECOME A BREEDING MUTT FOR SOMEONES BACKYARD???

Quote Originally Posted by _unoriginal View Post
    Why didn't you do the proper research before deciding to breed your bitch?
    I'd like to know this, as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast