Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Question Overly Agressive 10 Week Old Pitbull.....help!

Hi Everyone,I recently adopted an 8 week old pitbull. I know the parents dogs, and they are non aggressive just kinda hyper.Anyways, he is a little over 10 weeks old now and has begun the last few weeks randomly attacking me, and the other people in my house.At first he started off playing, then would run and start biting harder. It has gotten to the point where he full on attacks now. Even is sitting quietly when its not play time. He has latched on a few times, starts growling viciously and shaking his head to the point where it draws a decent amount of blood.He mainly does it when you take him outside and is usually completely fine in the house. But tonight even did it coming into the hallway in my house and in the house itself.If you yell at him or tap his nose he gets worse and does it stronger, almost like coming back with revenge. I do not hit him or discipline him negatively at all so I know that isnt the issue. And it's always unprovoked attacks.I know this isn't normal for a puppy or this breed with humans in general. Its gotten to the point where even at this young I am scared to take him for walks. Can it have something to do with him thinking I am a mate? Or just something bred into him that I will have a hard time changing? Anyd advice would be GREATLY appreciated because I'm not sure what to do and it looks like it's only getting worse the older he gets....

Do you have hands?

If so SMACK THE HELL OUT OF HIM WHEN HE ATTACKS YOU! Jesus.

3. Not the advice I was looking for. If you read my post I said he get more vicious if you try to discipline him. So why would I hit him just to make it worse?

Images
    Grab his scruff or under his front arm pits and pull him up off his front paws. This will take the control into your hands. Or flip him to his back and hold him there till he settles. In a dominant but not harmful our out of control way show him what he is doing is not ok. With fiona during her nipping phase she would get sassy after being told no, we would flip her over till she settled, grab her scruff or hold her from behind by her arm pits lifting her fronts off the ground. I would firmly say no more or no bite. she knows I am serious when I ask her to sit after she gives attitude because she has been put in her place enough times. reacting confidently and firmly with control rather than a frazzled freak out will tame his reaction to you as well. If you seem stressed or intimidated he knows you aren't stable. Just hold your ground.
    The pups mother with grab scruff or grab their muzzle closed so you could always try that, pretty sure your hand us bigger than his muzzle. ;)
    Excuse my phone type o's. ha!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Abby&Fiona; 08-27-2011 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha11284 View Post
    Not the advice I was looking for. If you read my post I said he get more vicious if you try to discipline him. So why would I hit him just to make it worse?
    Your not hitting him hard enough.

Images
    Oh...and obedience training.... Asap. You should look into "Nothing in life is free". Make him earn everything, everything! If he doesn't do what you want...he gets nothing. Also, crate him if you can't calm him. It's simply removing him from the situation, showing him he gets nothing for acting that way.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Here is the link to the NILF training thread, should help

http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthre...NILIF-training

8. We fostered one like this. She was such a sweetheart and a really pretty pup... with an overly aggressive play style and would constantly challenge your alpha position. NILF and disciplining started to work with her, but then she found a home.

Images
    Sounds like he thinks you all are equal members of the pack, and he is going to try his best to a challenge. No one else in his minds eye stands out as the "top dog".

Definitely get help as advised, be $#@!ertive and consistent in his training.

Images
    Hit it with something that REALLY hurts. Go outside and find a light, whiplike stick- a switch, if your parents raised you like mine did me you'll know what I'm talking about. If he attacks whale him with it.

Images
    What happens when you re-direct his energy?

I know you said that it is not "play time" but perhaps he has pent up puppy energy and you can re-direct it into appropriate play? Have you tried taking a stuffie or a squeaky toy and re-directing him from biting people to the toy or a safe chewie/bone? And I don't just mean give the dog the toy/chew and expect him to entertain himself; but play with him with the toy/chew, animate it, interact with him and also reinforce no inappropriate biting of people and using a soft mouth (using your basic yelping, ending play for a few seconds and ignoring, verbal reprimand (ah-ah, no bite).

When my dog was a pup and she got wound up you had to let her discharge that energy, trying to tell a baby dog that "now isn't play time" was not particularly effective; she had to tire herself out. I also noticed that if I got angry/frustrated and tried to physically correct/alpha role (since then I've done allot of learning about dog behavior and training and that is not my personal philoshophy - I am an advocate of using as much positive training as possible and correcting only when absolutely necessary) my dog would get more wound up. I don't think she was looking for revenge or challenging me per se; but I do think she was really wound up and that that response was getting her more wound up.

The other thing we did that was a big hit was to get her these huge stuffed animals (almost as big as she was) and engage her in play with it. It was a riot she would take the toy and shake it furiously and growl and pounce and wear herself completely out.

Here's one of my favorite pictures; she was a bit older so the toy doesn't seem quite so big; but doesn't she look like she's on some sort of puppy crack (Also make sure you supervise playing with stuffies and make sure the dog doesn't eat any stuffing or parts of the toy because then you could wind up with an intestinal obstruction and a dead puppy).

Last edited by Jazzy; 08-27-2011 at 09:53 AM.

12. He is out all day, and when he comes in goes right to sleep. And what I mean by not play time is he does it really randomly, even after he has been outside exhausted for an hour.If I try and use toys to divert his attention he goes right around the toy to attack, and wants nothing to do with it.When you say grab him by the armpits, do you mean from behind?The weirder thing is is that he is my little shadow, follows me everywhere, waits outside the shower, sits for his food, so I find it weird he goes after me. I have tried bitter apple spray for biting that works for a few minutes but not long term.I have had to resort to grabbing him by the collar until he is almost dangling in the air when he is attacking outside since he won't let you get anywhere near him to pin him or hold him.What about a muzzle? Its not something I can leave him in all tue time so I don't know how well it will work. Maybe just for taking him out?

Images
    I wouldn't use a muzzle on a 10 week old puppy. JMO.

If you are having the kind of trouble/diffiuclty you are reporting at this stage of the game I would get connected with a professional trainer and then get him enrolled in an obedience cl$#@! immediately. If you don't get a handle on the issues whatever they are, then they are likely to get worse as the dog gets older and stronger.

I doubt you will solve this problem via the internet; someone who is knowledgable about dog beahvior and training needs to work hands on with you and the dog; preferably in your home with private lessons/consultation to start before you even get into a group obedience cl$#@!.

Sounds like a bratty puppy. When he acts like a little $#@!, pick him up, put him in another room and gate him off. When he calms down, then give him attention.

Also, make sure he is getting enough exercise. When you say he's outside for an hour, what is he doing? To this day, I will play fetch/swimming/tug with Odin until he plops on the ground from exhaustion.

A tired dog is a happy dog, especially so with a puppy.

No offense but the best thing you can do is bitch slap the $#@! out of that dog!!

Find a trainer and enroll in obedience cl$#@!.

A trainer will be able to evaluate your pup :)
    We can't see whats really going on. It might be the pup. it might be you, it might be anything :)

18. Isn't anybody going to suggest positive reinforcement? x_x

Images
    I agree that positive reinforcement is fabulous! But the focus of her post was extremely negative behavior. It sounds like the dog is in control or is lacking attention so in play and training positive reinforcement would be an excellent way to show the dog what you DO want him to do.
    But I will be honest and say that I am kind of sick of the people saying to smack the dog! To me that is not control, rather, it is out of control and doesn't teach the dog WHAT to do and that they need to check in with you as the leader... instead it can set in a level of fear and submission- same with children- not a healthy relationship. But I definitely agree that positive is SUPER effective, when you DO see the correct behavior. But when it is out of control... you have to make his choices FOR HIM- crate, leash, control his body... then when he controls himself- reward him!!!!
    Dusk, I agree.

20. Smack, even though it would not phase me some pups react quite differently then others, to the point where I swear they like it. It turns them on. Dogs biting feet kick it and it will come back for more, hit it with a stick some thing, there is a limit to what you can do and knocking it out isn't an option and apparently hard to do. It could be your frustration , aggression, excitement, what ever it is that excites him you said he loves to follow you round I would use that and when he is getting out of hand grab him firmly (in your mind too) by the scruff and put him somewhere you aren't tie him up in the lounge if you want but make sure you ignore him totally. Don't waste your energy fighting the dog just deal with it. The reward for my dog calming down is to be let off the chain no treats needed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast