1. How to stop my dog from barking at strangers. Please, please help!

I have a 3 year old female, spayed pitbull. She does not have papers (don't want lecturing) and has not had the ideal life. While she was never abused, she was tied on a 20 foot leash for most of her 3 years at my parents' house and got to be very lazy and stubborn/spoiled. I moved out of my apartment into a house so I decided to take her. She now has a very large backyard to wander in and I have been exercising her daily (long walks, bike rides, hiking). I have also been spending a lot of time with her and taking her everywhere with me. It has only been about two weeks, but she already has much, much higher energy levels, she has lost a good amount of weight, and she has become more obedient; for example, she used to pull on her leash like crazy, but now when i tell her "close", she stays by my side.

My problem is that she barks at strangers, especially when they walk towards her. When she was a puppy, she got a real bad case of Parvo and has been frightened like this ever since all the vet visits etc. If the people do not show any fear and almost act like they know her, she will stop barking pretty quickly. There has also been people who she met that she never barked at. I need to know how to stop this. She has been improving so well and truly is a great dog; so many people have fallen in love with her. Thanks for any help.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

She will do this on walks too. But I do remember a time when I had her inside of my friend's apartment, where about five people live, and she acted COMPLETELY ideal towards all of them as they walked inside one-by-one over the course of the night (she had never met any of them, 3 men and 1 woman).

And I also kind of remember her mom barking at me when I bought her. She showed no intention of biting me, but she seemed protective over her pups. Thanks!

Images
    As someone who has recently asked for advice with shyness issues I will give you a few small tips but there are other users im sure that will give you much more advice. Firstly, dont reward the barking, no encourgements or aww its ok or anything. Secondly, try getting her used to more people being around..taking her to public places with you and stuff. You can look into OB cl$#@! which would give her a chance to work with strangers in a positive light and help with fine tuning the training as well. Have your guests respectfully ignore her.

Sometimes mine will bark randomly if we are walking in a secluded area and someone is approaching. It's only if the person is alone too. It's never an aggressive bark, I think it's something he's learned from my mom's dogs and from being at the pound for so long. Because he's always happy when they get close..

Anyways, I know he won't ever bark if we approach a place with people already there. And he won't bark if he's in a strange place, but once he thinks an area is his territory, he'll randomly bark at people. So maybe go places where people already are, get her used to approaching strangers and that barking isn't necessary

Just wondering, do you feel sure that this is a "negative" bark? I think my current dog is the exception, but he barks at people 99% of the time because he is impatient to greet them. If he sees one of our neighbors, for example, across the street he barks at them until they either come over to say hi, or usually until i tell him to shut up, lol! it is vey clear to dog people how friendly he's being as the barking is acompanied by play bows, crazy wiggling, pinned back ears, soft expression, etc., however his natural bark is deep and (unnaturally) loud, so he has startled a few people. I'm not saying this is the case with your dog, probably you would be aware if it was and wouldn't be posting about it, but there are dogs of every breed who are simply very vocal. My pup (unfortunately) likes to bark, happy, sad, excited, suprised, lonely, most of his emotions are very noisy, and he is unusual in that the actual sound is usually very similar regardless of how he's feeling. His body language is the only give away whether he means 'come pet me,' 'throw the damn ball already,' or 'there's a pomeranian walking by our house and I might like to eat it'. if you are worried, it may be a good idea to have a behaviorist meet with you and her to help determine why she's barking when she does. good luck!

5. Her bark is negative. She will pull at the leash towards them and her hair will rise up a little bit. If she is loose in the yard and this happens, she will sort of follow the person will barking/sniffing their legs. If a lot of people she who she knows are around and she is excited, she will not obsess over the person; she will just bark and sniff every time she p$#@! them until she is over it.

Images
    Sounds more like excitement then negative to me..If a dog is aggressive and loose its not gonna just bark and sniff. Some dogs hackles raise when they are excited. She sounds like she needs MEGA manners.

7. First off...how is she once a stranger approaches? Raj barks at strangers but he's all bark. Once a stranger comes up he's a mush.
    I just figured I would ask.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

8. Just a few times, I have also heard her let out a low growl. It was usually when she was tied up in the house. If someone came in and she barked, we would make her hush. After she quieted down, if she was being ignored, she would sometimes growl softly. She has maybe done it a couple of times to someone approaching, but I'm not sure.

Slayer, please explain what you mean. That is my huge fear; that she is aggressive and I'm just being ignorant.

---------- Post added at 08:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

destinoscelgo:

It depends on the situation. Just the other day, I was opening the front door with her and the postman sort of sneaked up on us. He didn't get that close, but once she heard him she got startled, turned around, and started to bark at him. There have been other times when strangers approached fearlessly and she didn't care, but this is more rare. Usually it's just barking though; no snarling or anything, just single barks (each one a couple of seconds apart) while she stands in one spot.

There was also one more time when we were at my grandma's and her friend came over. He is a very large man and just ignored her. She was inside and she just kind of barked at his side. He then went outside and sat on a bench. Then the dog jumped onto the bench right by him and barked near his shoulder. For some reason, he was not scared at all, so he just grabbed her in headlock; she looked confused and after he let go, she was completely fine with him.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alvarez91 View Post
    Just a few times, I have also heard her let out a low growl. It was usually when she was tied up in the house. If someone came in and she barked, we would make her hush. After she quieted down, if she was being ignored, she would sometimes growl softly. She has maybe done it a couple of times to someone approaching, but I'm not sure.

Slayer, please explain what you mean. That is my huge fear; that she is aggressive and I'm just being ignorant.

---------- Post added at 08:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

destinoscelgo:

It depends on the situation. Just the other day, I was opening the front door with her and the postman sort of sneaked up on us. He didn't get that close, but once she heard him she got startled, turned around, and started to bark at him. There have been other times when strangers approached fearlessly and she didn't care, but this is more rare. Usually it's just barking though; no snarling or anything, just single barks (each one a couple of seconds apart) while she stands in one spot.

There was also one more time when we were at my grandma's and her friend came over. He is a very large man and just ignored her. She was inside and she just kind of barked at his side. He then went outside and sat on a bench. Then the dog jumped onto the bench right by him and barked near his shoulder. For some reason, he was not scared at all, so he just grabbed her in headlock; she looked confused and after he let go, she was completely fine with him.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    [/QUOTE] You just explained it better then I can. Like some children are LOUD for attention...so is your dog. If she was aggressive..you couldn't let her walk around loose with the people she was barking at like that.

My dog will growl when he wants attention. If I don't warn people, they look worried. He also barks at people he likes. If he likes you, he barks at you.

I always just $#@!umed I had a socially awkward dog. Maybe you do too.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

For some reason, he was not scared at all, so he just grabbed her in headlock; she looked confused and after he let go, she was completely fine with him.
    Granted, putting a dog that's barking at you in a headlock is never a good idea, but that right there might be the ticket. He gave her attention, she stopped barking.