Dog ate a rope toy ! help!

I'm pretty sure it's the rope toy that caused my pup to be acting the way she has been. i didnt notice any thing different until yesterday morning when she wouldn't eat her food! she normally pounces on the bowl and scarfs it down! she ate a few bites and was done with it. so i had the babysitter watch her all day to see if she did anything crazy. she did nothing really just lay around all day! NOT NORMAL! she normally is bouncing off the walls, literally ..so today same thing she doesn't eat but a couple bites of food, and i watched her go poop and it was really runny! I'm thinking it was the rope toy i let her rip up the other day! what should i do short of going to the vet! god knows i cant afford a couple grand surgery!

Images
    Sounds like a blockage, get her to the vet.

If you absolutely cannot do that, try to induce vomiting (I'm not a vet so I don't know how safe inducing would be for a blockage) with hydrogen peroxide.

I would highly suggest a vet visit though. Check out CareCredit. It's a credit card to help with unexpected vet emergencies.

Images
    There is nothing you can do other then bring the dog to your vet..you dont want to mess around with that stuff...there was a recent thread about a dog eating one of those..surgery was the only option in that dogs case.

Images
    Vet.Things like that kill a dog quick. They seem okayish and then go downhill so fast that it is too late.

Vet. Better apply for Care Credit if you can't afford a surgery.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
    Vet. Better apply for Care Credit if you can't afford a surgery.
    x2 care credit was the best thing that happened to my dog. They are great and approve you in minutes.

So I took her in to the evet...and they tell me she has a bacterial inffection...gives me sum meds to give her and some canned food to get her poop stable again..this morning she threw up a nice big chunk of the rope toy so I hope that every is good with her after the meds are finished..300 dollars later for evet and meds

Images
    Glad to hear you took her to the vet, did they say anything in regards to the rope toy beeing the issue you brought her there?

Good she threw it up, if it isn't all there I would still be very concerned... keep a close eye out.

How is her poop looking?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Cherry View Post
    So I took her in to the evet...and they tell me she has a bacterial inffection...gives me sum meds to give her and some canned food to get her poop stable again..this morning she threw up a nice big chunk of the rope toy so I hope that every is good with her after the meds are finished..300 dollars later for evet and meds
    That's great that you got her some meds, but they didn't say anything about the rope toy??? That's odd, did they x-ray her at all? I would never take her back there again since they at least partially misdiagnosed her. I mean, clearly she HAD swallowed something and they completely missed it. That's just me though.

Hopefully she'll be good as new soon though. Just be careful in the future with letting her chew on toys. :)

Sasha can't have rope toys anymore. Because she shreds them and eats them for a snack. Thankfully we've never had a blockage, mind you once she started shredding it we took it away. Which is why she is not allowed to have rope toys.

Definately take your dog to the vet, your dog sounds like she has a blockage.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Black Cherry View Post
    Did you let them know about her eating the rope toy? Did they x-ray her?

Well atleast they think everything is okay.

They said they were confident it was just the infection! she wouldn't eat the food they gave me and she threw up again after i gave her the medicine , so i called them back and they said bring her back in, but i live 45 mins from there so i just took her to my regular vet...they xrayed her and didnt see anything so she goes back tomorrow for a barium test! hope all goes well she just did eat a quarter can of the food so hopefully she will get better soon...
    her poop is very water like..she has lost 5 lbs in 3 days since this has happened.. from 39 to 34..just 2 lbs from last night! poor pup!

Partial Obstruction

I have a 9-10 year old pit that I rescued two years ago. After a year or so he started to vomit bile any time he had to go to the bathroom, for example, in the morning, if I got up later than usual and he had to hold it at all, he would vomit bile. I just thought this was nervousness as he was otherwise normal, has always had a voracious appetite, etc. The bile vomiting was intermittent, not consistent. One morning, I heard the wretching noises earlier than usual and awoke to find a partially digested, rock-hard clump of rope toy about the size of a small potato. It was bright green with stomach acid so it may have been in there for months. Mind you- he had been to the vet in the interim and there was nothing else besides the very occasional bile to suggest that he was obstructed- he had even had dental surgery! After that, he was totally normal. I'm really glad he puked it up on his own (and kind of impressed). However, recently, the bile vomiting began again. Last week I did catch him gnawing on a bit of rope toy that he had found (I removed most of them from the house and he showed no interest in them anyway) and I took it away from him immediately, but apparently the damage was done. He just tossed his cookies in the parking lot with only one shred of red thread (it was a red and white rope toy) in the mix- so he is either about to work it out on his own, or we're in for trouble. I have a call in to my vet to see if we can do a barium study. This is a huge bummer, partly because he's older and I don't want to subject him to major surgery again, and he did handle the last one on his own, and partly because my other pit, my female, just had three major surgeries in the last 12 months (dorsal laminectomy and two ACL repairs). I would never put him down because of the money- I have pet insurance for him- but I can say I'm not thrilled. So just in case anyone else is on here whose dog is exhibiting these symptoms but not the classic dramatic symptoms of obstruction, hopefully you can benefit from what I've learned.

Images
    This is an old thread, but I appreciate you sharing that.

After reading these types of threads... I do not allow my dog to ever play with rope toys unless I'm there to supervise, this is some serious stuff and I hope your dog pulls thru this one.

Thanks- he's kind of a "junkyard" dog and is very sneaky- can find food anywhere, but is usually smart about not ingesting non-food items. He handled his previous obstruction on his own and that was a serious lump of rope... this time I know better, of course, but he's otherwise normal- just uncomfortable. Hopefully someone whose dog is doing what he did but not exhibiting other symptoms will be helped by that information though.

By way of update- he did turn out to be obstructed this time- a 2 inch piece of-you guessed it- rope toy was caught in his small intestine. Had to have surgery. Never again will any of my dogs have rope toys- even if I'm there to supervise. I was there when he picked up the one that caused all this trouble and he only had it for 2 seconds before I saw and took it away. The damage was done. He's recovering, but this was totally avoidable. Arg.

Peanut gets to play with her rope toy only when we are actively playing tug. The last one we let her gnaw on was when we were at my sister's house. She had it for maybe 5 minutes when she walked over to my BIL and barfed up a fist sized hunk of rope toy... it was brand new. So glad it came up right away.

17. Rope toys are notorious for causing not only blockages, but intussusceptions. I've had it happen to a dog of mine once and to friend's puppy another time -- exact same thing. The long strings get into the intestines, get looped around the projections that line the intestines, and you have a real problem. Both dogs almost died after 2 and 3 difficult surgeries. Very difficult and expensive surgeries with long recoveries.

I wonder what happened to Black Cherry's dog -- did not sound good to me.

Carla
    Last edited by Sagebrush; 08-25-2012 at 10:36 AM.