Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

8 month old pit puppy - aggression or just playing too rough?

a couple of weeks ago i tried to play toss the ball with my 8 month old pit (i've had Baylee since he was 8 weeks). I asked him to sit to wait for me to throw the ball, he sat the first time, then when I asked him to sit again he freaked out, started jumping up on me went for my arm. i tried to get him to stop, but he kept on biting, wouldn't listen to anything, he was like in another zone. Finally I started to walk away, him following and still jumping on me, he stopped and became calm. I tried again a few weeks later to play toss and he did the same thing again, went right for my arm and wouldn't stop. The more i tried to get him to calm down, the worse he became, growling, snarling....it was awful, I was scared. I tried to get him to calm down by putting him on his back, that was a mistake, I won't do that again, he got worse... friend of mine say he's got a "wiring" issue and that he'll eventually attach me out of aggression and that I might have to get rid of him. Not sure what's going on here. He plays really rough with other dogs so I've had to stop him from playing because the owners were getting upset, the dogs were not pits. I don't know anyone around me with the same age/type of dog. He's always been pretty mouthy, but it got worse, not better as you can see. He's been to school, knows sit, down, stay really well. Walks great on the leash, but when off leash, forget it, he won't come back now, he used to though, so now, he's always on leash... help! thanks,
    Felice

Images
    The DA is normal as he matures he may get more aggressive. Do not allow any such rough play. Keep him away from other dogs, DA is in the genes, cannot be trained out of him, perhaps managed.

As far as his biting you, if he starts this behavior walk away, let him know this is bad behavior let him know this type behavior will not be tolerated.

I think you should also consult a behaviorist in regards to him biting you. But he is still young too. Others will be along with more insight.

Also is he crate trained? does he have a flirt pole or spring pole for excercise? These dogs need lots of excercise.
    Last edited by #1 stunner; 08-15-2011 at 09:15 AM.

yes, he's crate trained since i got him at 8 wks, this is not a problem. He gets lots of walks and i put him on the treadmill. i used to let him run free with other dog walkers in the woods, but he stopped listening to me and started to play really rough with certain dogs, so now he's back on leash and not running free and wild, poor baylee... i really don't like the fact that he went for me and i couldn't just walk away because he just came after me. Thanks for getting back to me

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

We're also starting back to school on Sept. 14/11 - we'll be working with the training director, he handles more "difficult" puppies/dogs.
    I just don't want to find out that Baylee will be dangerous for myself and husband, he's such a beautiful dog, really loves people and so far is very friendly towards other dogs, just plays rough. I have 2 cats that i never leave alone with him, he's always chasing and pinning them, not a good thing for the cats...thanks again

umm was the ball in the hand of the arm yo were holding up? I know my dog makes growling noises while she plays and to the untrained eye/ear theyd think shes being aggressive. Also if i have a stick/ball/toy holding it up and away she will jump up at it this is how i always played with her though. i can usually stop her jumping with a sit, stay, or wait command. I have gotten some accidental nips though from where she tried to reach for the toy and got me instead.

As for the playing same as my dog shes mouthy. But what him because he could just be showing signs of dog aggression also. But always remember pit bulls play very very rough. to the point to some where they look like their fighting. To be on the safe side if you still allow him to play with other dogs only allow him to play with the opposite sex. And watch him like an eagle.

hth

i got a huge pointer for you... train your dog to stay off you when you have the ball in your hand.. not freak out and think its gone in "a few weeks"

ok thanks for both your good pointers....i realize that they play rough, and i have committed myself to be very careful of him when he's playing with other dogs. as for freaking out at me, the ball was in the hand he came after, and at that point, i did tell him off, but he was just not listening, he kept coming at me and got more and more viscious, that's what's bothering me, i felt like he was attacking me, then poof, he was gentle, sweet baylee, very scary...

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

where can i get a flirt/spring pole? is this really good for them? it won't make him too aggressive?

you need to get a trainer to help you learn what dogs body signals are.. and next time he does that, slap the thing mid air.

ok, we start with the trainer sept 14th, good point. slap the thing mid air.... anywhere i can reach at that point? He needs to know real quick that he can't get away with that behavior right? I've had pit/mixes and dobermans before, nothing like this one though... lol

Our female tends to go after the arm instead of the ball. She is excited and very vocal but not aggressive. She just wants her damn ball. She has to be in a sit stay when I pick the ball up.

I tried the smacking and a firm no but she seemed to be understanding it as me saying no to the toy I had so now she won't play with that toy anymore. I just decided to do the sit stay from now on. Works well for me.

Good luck with everything.

Images
    I don't think he's going after your arm as much as going after the ball (or whatevers in your hand). I agree with brindlexpitt, a swift slap on the $#@! should get his attention.

please stop saying your puppys vicious, hes just being a puppy....

Images
    Get a shock collar and shock the hell out of him for going after your arm, IMO.

He's no longer a puppy. He's grown up into a teenager, and he is going to start pushing the limits - this is likely why he no longer responds to your command to come and also why he got intense when he wanted you to throw the ball and you asked for a behavior instead. His temperament will also likely change.

You need to set firm boundaries and make him work for EVERYTHING - even if it is a single pat on his head. Have you tried implementing 'Nothing In Life Is Free (NILF)' training? You would do best to keep this dog constantly enrolled in training cl$#@! for the next 1-2 years.

It would be best NOT to engage him in this game until you consult with your trainer though (the more you allow him to practice this behavior, the harder it will be to get him to stop, even with training). I would also suggest keeping him on a leash if you try to play fetch.

As far as his interactions with the cats, he needs to stop that NOW. Allowing him to practice the chasing/pinning routine could escalate to him severely injuring or killing one of your cats - puppies and adolescents that are allowed to do this are more likely to see the cats as prey items and as they grow, are more likely to kill a cat. He needs to be on leash whenever he is around them. You need to keep his focus on you and not allow even interested looking at the cats. If you cannot do this, then you need to keep him and the cats separate at all times.

Onto his interactions with other dogs....... stop the play session when he becomes rough. If he is starting to get so aroused during play that you cannot control him verbally, it would be best that he not be allowed to play with other dogs at all. Do you have a break stick?

Quote Originally Posted by Felice55 View Post
    ok, we start with the trainer sept 14th, good point. slap the thing mid air.... anywhere i can reach at that point? He needs to know real quick that he can't get away with that behavior right? I've had pit/mixes and dobermans before, nothing like this one though... lol
    a swift smack will usually make them rethink what theyre doing. then just walk away from the situation. dont need to pummel him or anything just a HEY WTF type of smack.

Well, you have a teenage pit bull puppy. And no, he's not "aggressive", he's testing you.

When he goes to grab your arm for the ball, smack him, and walk away. Try again 10 minutes later. If he goes for your arm again, smack him, walk away, and try again 10 minutes later. Repeat this until he gets it.

Thanks Tiffseagles, lots of good points. No, I don't have a break stick. About the cats, i'll keep him on the leash with me at all times when i'm home, he'll just have to follow me around, he tends to start chewing on the leash tho, does the "croc roll" real brat. That's why i stopped with the leash at home. BTW he was fixed at 4 mos., at least i did that..

omgrobyn, what a great pic! i love it! I kinda figured that he's testing me, reminds me of when my daughter was a teenager,lol, except she didn't bite me... i'll take him for a big walk, then i'll try your pointer, see what happens.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Felice55 View Post
    Thanks Tiffseagles, lots of good points. No, I don't have a break stick. About the cats, i'll keep him on the leash with me at all times when i'm home, he'll just have to follow me around, he tends to start chewing on the leash tho, does the "croc roll" real brat. That's why i stopped with the leash at home. BTW he was fixed at 4 mos., at least i did that..
    I just want to point out real quick that here, where you say that he was being impossible so you stopped using the leash.. In his mind, he wins. Now you can do as mentioned where you ignore him until he's calm and then start again. But when he clearly doesn't want to do something and makes it difficult for you so you stop trying to make him do that, that's reinforcing his bad behavior and making your job that much harder.

I agree with cliff......I think a shock collar would be perfect. I would suggest getting help from a trainer for learning the appropriate times to use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast