Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hog hunting pictures-no dead hogs

My friend's catch dog that I really like.

My old Chico dog.

Strike dogs leaving to go hunt

Catahoula riding on the dog box trying to "wind" a hog. The idea is to creep along real slow and watch her. If she smells a hog she'll start looking for a way down and you stop and let the strike dogs get out.

My buddies jagdterriers

Damage done by hogs to a milo field. The dark spots are where the hogs have rooted up the ground looking for the planted milo.

The trailer I sometimes use to haul the dogs on hunting trips. The big compartment in the back can be used for dogs or to haul a hog if we want to take them out alive.

Tired out strike dog. He'd put on a lot of miles that morning.

My son and our current catch dog Beetle after catching a hog.

Beetle riding the four wheeler with me while the rest of the dogs are down. They are usually farther away from the four wheeler than this but there were cows close by so they came in. Made for a good picture.

My oldest boy hanging out on the four wheeler waiting for the barking to start.

My wife, two boys and beetle. Looks like they are all trying to figure out the tracking system.

My oldest boy and the his strike dog Blue. He claimed him from me a while ago. I always laugh at this rough ol hog dog that loves kids so much. Good strike dog and playmate. Couldn't ask for much more.

Images
    Great pics...and I LOVE all the dogs...and that happy face on your son!

I appreciate you not showing the dead hogs and the warning on the other thread.....cause I can't handle it. My son never shows his dead deer...or what the dogs kill or processes any chickens when I visit. LOL

THANK YOU!

Cool pictures!

I'm enjoying your posts/photos/stories so much. Keep 'em coming!!

Next time you go on a hunt, please post a run-down of the night. LOVE reading those.

This is great!! Would love to see more pictures and descriptions as well. What is Milo??

Milo is a grain crop. This farmer had planted it along with some Sudan gr$#@! and had intended on making cattle feed with it. Counting having to plant twice and the fuel it took to run the tractors and equipment to plant it again I bet the hogs cost him a couple thousand dollars on this deal.

7. great pics. Love those jagds

oh what a bummer..... how many hogs does it take to do that kind of damage. That is REALLY costly, depending on the acreage.

Images
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to more of your threads. I'll be honest, I'd never heard much of hog hunting until I joined this site so just learning about it and having pics to go with it is great!

I'd hate to guess on a number but I bet he had a few groups of hogs visiting his field every night for quite a while. It was a planted field in the middle of a couple thousand acres of wooded pasture land and had plenty of water so the habitat doesn't get much better. We had hunted the night before and made one lap of the field and had caught two hogs. The last one ran for quite a while so I quit after we caught her because it was a pretty humid night. I let the dogs rest up and hit it again the next morning and saw two real big boars out there. Dumped the dogs on them and had a two hour race that ended with me picking up the dogs before it got too hot for them. I've hunted that place a couple times since then and had good luck. I wish it was closer so I could hit it more often but it's a three hour drive.

11. Quote Originally Posted by catchrcall View Post
    My buddies jagdterriers

I love those dogs!

This is a cool thread!

Very nice...love how the dogs get their pig-proof vests on before hunting! Iwannago, Iwannago! (Sorry, it just looks like it would be one intense night.) The pic of your oldest boy sleeping on the quad is priceless.

Since they are nuisance animals, can you hunt them year round?

Seeing dogs with such real purpose is just awesome! Have any of your dogs, or any friends dogs been injured before? Other than the vests do you take any precautions to prevent injury? Just asking because that would be my main concern as my dogs are pets first, no real work my lazy mutts! I guess there's no real way to hog hunt 100% safely! lol

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. :)

Images
    Great pictures! Your dogs are awesome. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
    Very nice...love how the dogs get their pig-proof vests on before hunting! Iwannago, Iwannago! (Sorry, it just looks like it would be one intense night.) The pic of your oldest boy sleeping on the quad is priceless.

Since they are nuisance animals, can you hunt them year round?
    Yeah. In Texas we can hunt hogs 24/7 all year long. We usually take a break during deer season.

Quote Originally Posted by K9 Love View Post
    Seeing dogs with such real purpose is just awesome! Have any of your dogs, or any friends dogs been injured before? Other than the vests do you take any precautions to prevent injury? Just asking because that would be my main concern as my dogs are pets first, no real work my lazy mutts! I guess there's no real way to hog hunt 100% safely! lol

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. :)
    The strike dogs wear 4 inch collars to protect their necks, and the vests on the catch dogs but other than that there's not much for protective gear. We try and get as close as we can before we turn loose the catch dogs, hopefully we will get to see the bay so we know what kind of spot the hog is in. If he's backed up in a hole in a creek bank or something and the only way to him is head on we'll try and wait until something changes before sending the catch dogs. Once the catch dog hits the curs usually pile on and help out too. The goal is to leave them caught for the shortest possible time, because the less time they are in that close with the hog, the less chance there is of somebody getting cut. The human hunters get the hog flipped to it's side and then it's pretty much over with. The dogs do get a cut once in a while but we carry a pretty extensive first aid kit and we have a working dog vet with 24 hr emergency service on speed dial.

Man, that is cool. I have hunted my whole life, and never yet have I seen someone using dogs. How exactly do you train them?

PBC pig picnic and hog hunt at catchrcall's house, lol!

Curs and bulldogs ( my slang for Pits or AB's either one) pretty much spend their first year just being pups. We make sure they get exposed plenty to riding in pickups, four wheelers, dog boxes, water, going out at night, anything they'll need to get used to before hunting. Bulldogs get a lot of time on a lead. I like them to walk beside or behind me, learn to let me go through narrow spots first, let me cross a fence first and come through after and just learning good manners. No dog aggression, good with people, no barking or whining in a dog box or on a lead. When it comes time to let them catch, we'll let them catch behind an experienced bulldog first, when they get that down let them catch first with the older dog coming behind and finally when they are ready, they get to catch on their own.

Images
    That's so cool! :) The last picture of your son and his dog is just adorable! Blue looks like such a sweetheart!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast