Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

About to make you all mad at me.

I am posting this as a serious and respectful question to fellow pit bull owners. I have read all of the things about pit bulls at dog parks and I agree strongly that it isnt the place for them, however I must admit to something. I take my dog on her harness to the park for 15 minutes daily because she is only 5 months and I am trying to have her socialized. She never stays and plays, she never runs free, but she does get walked through the dog park and I was planning on this until she was 10 months old and used to walking by dogs and people in passing. As i before stated, she is on a harness so i have full body control of her although to date i havent needed it this wont be changing. I do not however muzzle her as I am not going to have her defenseless whether she is in a park or just walking to the store with me. I control my dog but I can't control someone elses. I realize a few of you may have opposition but the question I am asking is if this is acceptable or if there might be a better way to socialize her?

Quote Originally Posted by SlayerGirl View Post
    I control my dog but I can't control someone elses.
    That should answer your question right there. You may have total control and your dog may be totally fine, but what happens if another dog attacks her while you're just walking her through the park?

There are plenty of better ways to socialize her. Sign up for a basic obedience group cl$#@!. You'll get to be around other dogs in a controlled setting, that's a great way to socialize.

A puppy at the dog park is not as much of a worry, I would not keep her on her harness though, when you pull her from another dog you pull her up which puts her in what looks like to another dog as an aggressive stance, asking for a fight. If another dog picked a fight with her no matter her age she would get blamed and so would you for having a "dangerous breed" at the dog park. We stay away from them for the dogs protection.
    For her sake and the sake of the breed, get her together with friends dogs and stay away from the dog parks all together. I never have socialized my dogs with strangers dogs only friends dogs that they have grown up with as puppies in a very controlled environment. No need to socialize with dogs they will never see again, plus this breed is not really a dog social breed.

Images
    i understand what you are trying to do but if it was me i would talk to a few responsible dog owners and tell them what you are trying to do and have them work with you and your dog on the socialization. this way it is done in a controlled enviroment without chance of anything really happening and if it does happen you know the people really well and they are not willing to call ac on you and your dog they agreed to the training. also, i would get a breakstick if you do not already have one just incase especially if you are going to continue going to the dog park. you need to be prepared.

Images
    I'm against dog parks for all dogs, not just pit bulls. I think there are too many diseases and unknown variables there to put you and your dogs at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
    ^^^^^ This! best way to socialize, IMO. not to mention the training. it's a win-win situation. avoid the dog parks please!

Images
    I've seen puppies that are hot as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No dog parks period....no exceptions.......... Just my motto...........Plus there are so many other ways to socialize as stated above. there are so many other activities to do outside........ there are so many other ways to showcase your dog.......

8. What you are saying doesn't upset me in the least. Let me explain. There seems to be this idea that to properly socialize your dog it must interact with what you are socializing them to. Example: Other dogs or People etc. I am of a firm belief that my dogs do not have to actually interact with other dogs or people to be well socialized. I take my dogs to a lot of places and they are around a lot of different animals and people. However, they rarely if ever directly interact with the other animals or people. What I want is for my dogs to be comfortable enough in any situation so that they know how to behave. I don't want my dogs thinking that every dog they see is either a long lost best buddy or that ultimate foe that must be dealt with. Likewise, they know how to act around all types of people, children, elderly etc. I am much more lax letting my puppies interact with people, but as they mature this is less and less, but the socialization is already there. AND you are right, you can not control other people's dogs, but this should not prevent you from getting your dog out into the world. Although I have and will never take my dog to a dog park, I do take them to parks for nice long walks and a change of scenery. This is how I have always socialized my dogs and it has worked out great for me. I am anxious to see what others are doing in this area. Absolutley get into training cl$#@! this is the best place to start and then go from there.
    Last edited by JakesMom5332; 06-28-2011 at 03:48 PM.

I agree with everyone else.

I'd keep away from dog parks, if I were you.

Images
    i second the obedience cl$#@!...Peanut is 3 years old and because i want to get him his cgc we are going back to basic obedience (to work on the ignoring other dogs part) and to my suprise most of the dogs there are over 1 years old for similar reasons.

if you pick obedience, which is a great idea try to avoid the pet store training and find a quality trainer. it may cost a little bit more but i promise you will get a lot more out of it.

Images
    Thanks guys, alot of insight here. I have considered puppy cl$#@!. I dont want her to be so much dog social as just dog indifferent if we are on a walk. You all have alot of great advice and guidance to offer and I appreciate that. I may talk to a few of the people we have met at the park, maybe I could set up some one on one kinda training walks with her. I had her trail blaze once with me and a chihuahua and a jack russell once off leash when she was 3 months, she enjoyed it. The owner of the little dogs invited us knowing her breed but he liked her alot.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Hopping offline for awhile will come back to this later so feel free to post any ideas/ opinions. :) and please dont be mad at me im more then willing to find better methods!

Images

I don't know where you are in the California but if you are in the Bay Area I took my girl to A Better Way Dog Training with Bob Gutierrez http://home.earthlink.net/~sfdogboy/
    H
    e has puppy cl$#@! and obedience cl$#@! and is a friend to pitbulls.

Images
    I am nowhere near the Bay area but thanks for the thought. I am on the Central Coast area. :)

Dog parks are bad for all dogs.

Even if she isn't hot, there's the consideration of all the bad dog on dog manner's she'll pick up from the ill behaved dogs that frequent dog parks.

Daycares are a terrible idea also.

Good luck finding a good training program! Teaching your dog to focus on you and politely ignore other dogs/people/etc. in the environment is the best thing you can do for your dog! :)

16. No matter what anybody says, there are always those who believe that some stuff just doesn't apply to them, or that they can do certain risky or ill advised behaviors just because they think they have a better way or are in more control. Taking a pit bull to a dog park is exactly the same train of thought that others use to justify allowing their dogs off leash when there are laws against it. They just $#@!ume their dog is better behaved, more friendly, or they have master control whatever.

Also to the OP, it just sounds to me like you just cannot accept the fact that pit bulls are not like most other dogs, they do not need to be socialized in uncontrollable situations, and there really is no reason go to the dog park. The only one benefiting from it is you, because for some reason you just want to take your dog to the park. Nothing good can come of it for your dog or the dogs of other owners. You are also reinforcing a public opinion that your dog is dangerous, as while the other dogs frolic freely the pit bull owner must keep their dog in a harness under strict control. Just do it naturally in the public environment addressing random situations with vigilance rather than forcing the doggy interaction while sending a subliminal message that your dog cannot be trusted at the park which although true does nothing to help the image of the breed.

Images
    I don't know what you are going off about exactaly as if you fully read the first post i ask for better suggestions. I do believe that a dog should be socialized on some scale because I dont need any incidents walking her to the store and back ..i dont drive. I do not like taking her out there and I did ask for better ideas. You seem more interested in starting a fight then giving solid advice. This is my first pit, she is 5 months old, if i thought of her as just any other breed..I wouldnt have asked other experienced owners for advice.
    My dog even when we walked through the park if you were reading was never playing with other dogs I was walking her through to get her accustomed to passing other dogs and not reacting at all.

I found a trainer through a local animal shelter "friends of" rescue group that was instrumental in getting the shelter to adopt out Pit Bulls with the stipulation the new owners do a basic obedience cl$#@! within 6 months. They gave a discount coupon to a trainer that was part of their group. I talked to her, liked her training methods and that she had plenty of bully breed experience and took my pup there. The bonus is that I am now on her mailing list and she hosts "Pawties" that are basically informal gatherings of owners who meet, socialize their dogs either with on leash behavior practice or off leash play in a controlled setting. They require vaccination records, Heartworm test results within the last year and fecal test within the last 6 months. I really like it for my younger dogs who aren't DA.

19. Slayer Girl - I am not trying to pick a fight. By your own admission you knew that taking your dog to a dog park would illicit a negative response thus you titled the post "about to make you mad at me". Of course I am not mad at you because I could give a crap.

It seems you did not read my post. I did give solid advice and that was to skip the dog park and just expose you dog naturally in public by dealing with situations that normally occur. I also explained that by taking your dog to a dog park in a harness while others allow their dogs to run free cannot have a good out come. Either dogs will approach your dog, and because your dog is in the harness it may actually be quicker to fight with an approaching unencumbered dog. You also reinforce the public conception that a pit bull is dangerous just by the fact that they see you don't allow your dog to play. It is a no win situation. You have had a pit bull for a couple of months and it is a puppy. When your dog matures and starts acting like a pit bull, that harness will do little if a dog gets close enough and you dog happens to get hot.

Now the main reason you may sense my negativity is that you are a new pit bull owner, you have read the stickies and chosen to ignore the advice against taking your dog to a dog park but are now asking for advice that it appears you selectively will ignore also. If you ask a thousand pit bull owners whether or not the dog park idea is a good one, even if you do not allow the dog to run free, you will 999 responses that tell you no. Choose to deal with it as you see fit.
    Last edited by Atheist; 06-29-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Let me clarify some things that I feel most people misunderstand.

Letting your puppy/dog run around off leash in an unstructured environment with who knows how many other loose strange dogs of unknown temperament, manners, health status, and who knows what kind of owner management is NOT socialization. Hence dog parks/daycare are bad for ALL breeds of dog and are NOT proper socialization for ANY breed of dog. EVER!

Good socialization is taking your puppy/dog with you everywhere on leash and exposing it properly to all the sights, sounds, etc. that a dog will see in its lifetime. This includes on leash situations where the puppy learns to ignore other dogs it sees in public. I think its great for social breeds of dog to have one on one playdates with another social breed of dog with equally appropriate dog on dog manners that is owned by someone responsible that the owner knows well.

I have seen in my foster dog just how badly dog daycare and dog parks can screw up their body language with other dogs. SHe has AWFUL dog on dog manners and her core pack has very low tolerance level for her because of it. After a year of living with Lily and playing with my parent's very very tolerant male BC.... Scout is just now getting better in regards to her dog on dog communication. Part of this is my management and not putting her in situations where she would fail and another part of it is how patient Lily is about teaching other dogs proper interaction skills.... Lily is a very very good "mom" dog. Also Will the BC is super duper low key, so its easy to keep her from getting too freaking excited and rude because she loves male dogs so freaking much. My dogs do not play with other bitches at all, nor would I expect them too. Sure they might be fine, but at the end of the day they are bitches and I don't care to take chances with "ifs" and "probablys". Now these are what I would consider extremely social dogs.... and I've gotten to the point where I will do whatever I have to to keep all loose dogs from running up to them (aggressive or not) for the safety of my own dogs. We've been attacked too many times. In fact Scout and I got attacked by some $#@!hat's off leash lab last night. I nearly had to pick her up to keep her safe and the owner of the dog didn't even get up off their lazy $#@! and get their dog...

With a "pit bull" type dog, all you need for socialization is a good obdience course that will focus on teaching good manners in public to ignore other stimulus, politely accept pets from humans, ignore other dogs/cats/etc., and know basic OB commands.

All dogs can be aggressive, but the "pit bull" will finish it every time.

And even with my example above of the lab attacking us last night.... who do you think would have gotten the blame if Scout defended herself, the off leash aggressive lab or my very sweet, well behaved, heeling, on leash, scared mostly GSD sled dog mutt? Thats right the "scary" looking dog even though its actually the nice one... I swear nothing pisses me off more than irresponsible dog owners. At the very least even with my breed they could declare her a dangerous dog and make me pay a fine, even though she was in no way to blame... all because of how she looks.... with "pit bulls" multiply that by a thousand fold. That my friend is why people get so up in arms when they hear of irresponsible owners taking "pit bulls" to dog parks and the like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast