Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. 10 mo. old female pitbull displaying aggressive behavior

I would like to hear your thoughts and opinions on my 10 month old female pitbulls behavior. A week ago my fiance brought this dog home from work. The previous owner said he had to get rid of the dog because his wife is having a baby soon and they have older children and a 130 pound great dane so there was no room for her in their home anymore. I suspect she was being kept outside as she came to us wearing a chain collar which had worn some of the hair off of her neck. She had no dog tag on her and she looked like she needed a good bath. For the first couple days she was skiddish around us and hid behind the recliner but soon after she came around and now she follows me around everywhere. She is the biggest baby at home...she is constantly licking me and sitting in my lap. Today we took her to my fiance's parents house in the country and we let her run around their property to play with their dog. She ended up running into the neighbors yard and spooking their horses. She charged after their pony and displayed wild behavior, almost as if she was going to bite into the pony's throat. I called her name and tried everything in my power to get her attention but she continued chasing after the pony for several minutes. I am certain if the pony wouldn't have kicked her and scared her away, she would have killed it or severely imjured it. What would cause her to go from loving puppy to killer animal within seconds? I fear I may have to give her back to her previous owner if we don't find a solution to this issue.

this is a normal trait for these breeds. doesnt mean theyre senseless killers, they just have high prey drive, and can become DA. this doesnt mean they will be human agg however, as theyre all completely different things.

3. I have a male staffordshire terrier/bull terrier mix who can be aggressive towards other male dogs but he has never acted out the way she did, so it took me by surprise. She is great with humans and my other dog but she shows aggression towards strange animals. Can anything be done to change this behavior?

4. Quote Originally Posted by babedizzle View Post
    I have a male staffordshire terrier/bull terrier mix who can be aggressive towards other male dogs but he has never acted out the way she did, so it took me by surprise. She is great with humans and my other dog but she shows aggression towards strange animals. Can anything be done to change this behavior?
    Can you train a bee not to sting? You are asking if you can change the dog's nature. You can't. It is asking for trouble. Research on the history of the APBT to help you understand it. You can not change its nature, but you can manage it.

Quote Originally Posted by babedizzle View Post
    Can anything be done to change this behavior?
    Yes. You can change how you manage her so she doesn't get a chance to display the behavior in the first place. Don't let her loose around farm animals. You can also work to desensitize her but that is no guarantee if given the chance in an uncontrolled environment that she will not act out on her drives so even if you can get her some what calmer in their presence, doesn't mean you should slack on your management.

Congrats, you have a dog. Don't let her loose around farm animals and you'll be good.

7. I suggest you give her back to the previous owner...

8. Quote Originally Posted by BigV View Post
    I suggest you give her back to the previous owner...
    Yeah. Clearly the dog is deffective. Dogs should NEVER act like animals. Dogs are people in fur coats, and if they don't know better than to attack pretty horsies, then obviously they are cold-hearted, and likely pure evil.

Images
    Congratulations, you have a pitbull!!

Please do read the stickies in behavior section, as well as the other forums.

It is in the dogs nature to react the way she did to the farm animals, please don't set her up like that again. Thank you

10. I came here for help, not for sarcastic comments. Yes, I made a mistake but like I said, my other pitbull exibits none of that behavior, so he runs free on the farm and doesn't bother anything...and he comes when he is called. There are other traits she has shown which especially bother me, such as growling at my guests and showing signs of attack mode (hair standing up, ears laid back, teeth displayed, etc) I think the previous owner trained her to be an attack dog and that is what concerns me. I was attacked by a friends pitbull and I am trying to prevent that from happening to someone else. I do plan on reading the other forums but so far all I see is comments bashing other members who have only the best intentions.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BigV View Post
    I suggest you give her back to the previous owner...
    Yes, so he can chain her up outside and not pay any attention to her and use her as a guard dog. great idea, thanks.

Images
    ---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Yes, so he can chain her up outside and not pay any attention to her and use her as a guard dog. great idea, thanks.
    So she is probably under-socialized and under-trained.

It sounds like you have your work cut out for you; but the dog is not going to naturally know how to behave around people if she hasn't been socialized to people. Go slowly, and proceed cautiously with allot of training to build up positive $#@!ociations and experiences with people.

The hackels up is simply arousal. The ears back indicative of anxiety/uncertainty/fear...the growling and teeth - a threat display to keep the scary situation at bay...which being a dog...is all she's got.

As far as the farm animals go; and in general...just keep in mind that all dogs are different; they have different levels of prey drive, different capacities for impulse inhibition, different levels of motivation, etc. . There's an extremely good chance that this gal will never run free on the farm; even if your other dog does. It just is what it is. (Also I don't know if you had your first dog as a puppy and sort of socialized her to the "farm experience" when she was young and impressionable; but with the new gal you sort of missed your window of opportunity to socialize her to what is basically an unnatural situation for most dogs.)

Although that doesn't always work either. My aunt has a rottie that she had as a puppy. My uncle was always busting me up about how gentle the dog was with other animals and with my aunt's chickens and how ill behaved my dog is (meaning you cannot put her next to another animal and expect her not to freak out). Until one day, the rottie hit adolescence...and ate all the chickens. The difference here is...my dog would never have had the opportunity to eat the chickens...probably much to her everlasting dismay.
    Last edited by Jazzy; 06-18-2011 at 11:24 AM.

people are giving you sarcastic comments because you should know what prey drive is.

13. My sarcasm was really directed at the person I quoted as opposed to the OP inparticular. Just sayin'.

I came here for help, not for sarcastic comments. Yes, I made a mistake but like I said, my other pitbull exibits none of that behavior, so he runs free on the farm and doesn't bother anything...and he comes when he is called. There are other traits she has shown which especially bother me, such as growling at my guests and showing signs of attack mode (hair standing up, ears laid back, teeth displayed, etc) I think the previous owner trained her to be an attack dog and that is what concerns me. I was attacked by a friends pitbull and I am trying to prevent that from happening to someone else. I do plan on reading the other forums but so far all I see is comments bashing other members who have only the best intentions.

Forgive the sarcasm. But, dogs like people (I know nobody likes to compare the two) are individuals. Just like some folks have lazy couch potato pit bulls and others have insane, high drive/high energy ones. We also needed that bit of info about her reactions to guests.

You also need to keep in mind that you got her a week ago. If she was chained up outside like you think, she's probably not used to being in a household (the people in the house's routines, guests, noises etc). I'd try a 2 week shutdown with the dog, and afterwards crate her when people come over starting with crating somewhere else in the house, and as time goes by, move the crate into another room closer to where you would have guests, eventually ending up in say the living room or kitchen so she can 1.) get used to guests/being in your home and 2.) observe people coming and going who are invited into the house by you the food god.
    Last edited by omgrobyn; 06-18-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: I'm a grammar nazi.

You should never let your dog run loose like that, especially if it is a dog with zero structured training.
    All dogs have prey drive and very high energy dogs with no structured training/exercise outlet will find unpleasant ways to amuse themselves.

Just be responsible and contain your dog. Problem solved.

Personally if I'd have been the horse/pony owner and some animal came and tried to kill them... yeah it wouldn't have left that pasture alive. You got lucky this time. Keep your dog on a leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorpit View Post
    My sarcasm was really directed at the person I quoted as opposed to the OP inparticular. Just sayin'.
    yours was obvious lol

Sounds normal for a dog that wasn't socialized with people or trained in basic recall and manners. This dog, IMHO, is somewhat mentally damaged by her previous owners. She will need to be properly contained and under control at all times and will need to learn how to respond to different situations appropriately. If you lack experience working with a dog like her you could hire a behaviorist and a trainer. Sounds like this dog will be a lot of work and a lot of learning for you. If you aren't sure you can commit to that then maybe you could ffind her a home with someone who has breed experience and who can put the work into her that her previous owner did not.

If you don't want to give her back to the previous owners, then you really have two options.

The first option is not to put this dog in a similar situation ever again. Keep her on a leash whenever she is not supervised and in a fenced in area. Get in touch with a trainer to help you teach her a very solid recall AND to help with any re-activity she may have towards other animals. Get in touch with a behaviorist (or maybe the same trainer can help you) to work on her fear aggression issues (that is what it sounds like you are describing). Put her in another room when guests come over until you are able to consult with a professional.

The other option would be to have her PTS.

Please DO NOT surrender her to a shelter or rehome home. She would likely end up being bounced around, scared to death and miserable before either hurting someone or being euthanized at a shelter.

And for future reference, please do not be letting a dog off-leash that you know very little about.

19. You probably have a great dog. Now you just need to learn how to own it. I guess you must have thought all the stickies and available information about pit bulls did not apply to your pitty poo. Unfortunately it does.

20. I have a blue bit girl she's about 3 years old and I'm her 3rd owner.. yes 3rd others could not or would not take the time to teach her that she doesn't need to bite (I DO NOT TRUST HER AROUND ANYONE) but she has learned to listen to me. she has bit ppl, Killed cats and attact other dogs... Sorry I was learning her during this time. The type of bread you have is a hunter... a Scared hunter! she will kill anything she see's as a threat to her or to you! You have to own her before she owns you. I had to buy a shock coller I know you all are rolling your eyes but this is the only way I could get her out of that state of mind. These types of breads (and I'm not saying all pits are this way all pits are very different) Don't hear you or see you because they went into that state of mind all they see or hear is Kill or be killed. Get your self a shock coller and teach her not to go after what you don't what her to go after. if she doesn't listion shock her. 10 months to a year is when they show who they really are... You have to love them for who they are but teach them right from wrong. I have the best little meanist blue pit ever :) she is the most loving dog to me and the family but to ppl she don't know she's a threat! they would kill her for sure if I didn't keep her under control. I'm telling you this because you have a hugh roll in her life you have to watch her. Never trust her fully as soon as she thinks your not watching BAM! I'm glad she's good around other dogs but as she gets older becareful! If she locks on DO NOT grab her mouth and stay away from the other dogs mouth. Chock her till she lets go. invest in a Chocker chain.

by the way the PPl that she bit where drunk guys teasing her over the fence/ Cops came and said she was a good dog she was protecting her house and the ppl in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast