1. Need help with Pitbull puppy growling for no reason.

We just recently got a female Pittbull puppy who is around 3 months old. She is a fantastic dog!! Very smart and always happy to see people and follows me where ever I go BUT she will let out a low growl somethimes when she walks into my kids' room but then wags her tail and sits next to my boys or will growl and then lay down in the living room. I am not sure what this means or how to get her to stop. We have only had her for 5 days and she great except for the growling. I am just afraid she might might bite someone. Can anyone help me out with some tips?!?!?!

Give her time to settle in. I wouldn't worry too much right now since she's a puppy.

Are you crate training her? If not (or even if so) I highly recommend reading the sticky on crate training. Your pup's in a strange new place, and it may help for her to have her own little place to go when things get too stressful or hectic (especially with kids around). If the growling continues, you can always remove her for a bit when she does it.

Also, I've met a few dogs that are just vocal in a weird way. A friend of mine has a dog that growls when he's happy, and I've got a dog that growls when he's excited.

My female APBT growly-woofs when she is super excited, especially after a nice, long nap, and also especially if she isn't the one getting attention at the time. As long as there are no other signs of aggression, you may just have a vocal pup!

4. Thank you! She does have 4 "beds" in our house, she has 2 in my room and one in the living room and she has a dog house outside. When she growls, I have told her No, with my hand up and she usually sulks away for 20 mins and then slowly comes up to me and lays down by my feet. I just don't want her to really scare someone and I am giving her some time, because she is a vocal dog, she will wine and bark and sigh all while playing with her chew toys

Don't correct her for growling, she's just vocalizing and you aren't fixing whatever she is growling about, you are just teaching her not to warn, not a good thing if she ever decides to get mad enough to bite. Some dogs are just noisy.

6. If you can get some video of her doing this it would really help us to help you determine what's really going on and what may be triggering it.

Goingpostal is absolutely correct.

If your dog is indeed growling, it is not a good idea to "correct" the behavior. This seems counterintuitive at first glance, but allow me to explain.

A growl is not a threat, or a promise of harm. A growl is a warning, or more specifically...it's a dog saying as politely as possible "I don't like what's going on, it's scary/threatening/maddening...please stop doing it right now."

If we punish the growl behaviour itself, all we are doing is telling the dog that it is NOT okay to tell us how they feel; that it is NOT okay to give a warning. This may result in a dog that byp$#@! the "warning" altogether and jumps directly to reaction when something upsets it.

In order to deal with a growl situation, you must determine what exactly is making a dog growl, and then deal with the situation itself. If a dog growls when you get to close to it's food/toy/bone etc., then you have to learn to deal with resource guarding. If the dog growls when it sees something it may be afraid of (people in strange clothes, kids, joggers, bicycles, etc) then you need to work on desensitization/counter conditioning to ease the dogs dicomfort around these things.

Honestly though, with your two examples...it doesn't sound like he's growling at all. Sounds more like he's a grumbler, or a groaner. Some dogs have a whole range of vocalizations that sound like growls but are actually something entirely different.

Here are a few examples of dogs vocalizing that to those who don't know, may seem like they're growling:

My parents pit Damien does the same thing as the dog in the first video..he does it when he wants to be pet, or wants attention. Its not at all aggression, for him anyway

My boys do a grumble-growl thing when they want attention or one is snitching on the other. They are very vocal and have a range of noises. I suspect the pup is making the growl-grumble noise when going into the kids rooms because she wants their attention.

I very much like the vocal dogs. After a while you learn what each sound means and then you know what the dog needs.

Images
    Not sure if this will work; because I've not tried to post video with the new format yet...

but I love vocal dogs; and it's a good thing because Veronica loves to run her mouth. I only wish her little growlies didn't turn into ear shattering high pitched barkies.

All those videos are great!!!!

I also love vocal dogs. I have one dog we taught to "whisper"=tiny little bark and to say "I love you". Our other dog will vocalize strangely to get our attention when her bone is under the couch. I think it shows brain power!
    It's like dogs who "smile" :)

V is sooo very pretty!!!

I love Miss V! She's got so much moxie!

Images
    Thanks guys.

I didn't mean to hijack

Images
    Love your posts, Gatorpit...and the vocals are wonderful!!!!

Love Veronica too, Jazzy. Do they get more vocal as they age?
    Last edited by #1 stunner; 06-19-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 stunner View Post
    Love your posts, Gatorpit...and the vocals are wonderful!!!!

Love Veronica too, Jazzy. Do they get more vocal as they age?
    I think it depends on the dog. I've had a dogman tell me Lucy is the loudest pit bull he's ever known in all the years he's had these dogs. She's a bit of a talker, and if she's outside you usually can't shut her up. And in the mornings when I wake up to take her out, or if it's food or walk time, when I ask her if she wants any of those things I get a loud ARRRRROOOOOOOOOO, as well as the usual grumbles, groans, whines and moans.

Images
    As said I wouldn't worry about it right now.

Is it possible you can get a video of her doing it?

I know when J was a puppy, he'd just walk around growling - now he WAS a little snooty princess BUT it was all in play, or because he wanted attention. He still does it. If you ignore him he will stand there and growl at you, and talk to you. Some dogs are just very vocal and have a lot to talk about..

Images
    Veronica did get more vocal as she aged. She was the quietest little puppy ever. I couldn't believe my luck; she rarely said "boo".

Then somewhere between the 8 - 14 month mark...she found her voice; and there's been no going back ever since.

Images
    I know this isn't exactly the same but when Bentley barks or growls at something outside the house from inside, I say "Good boy, that's enough." And if he continues, I'll say "Quiet" or "that's enough." It lets him know that I appreciate his alerting me but he doesn't need to do it anymore. I had a trainer many years ago that said the same thing several previous posters said about the fact that you don't want to dissuade the dog from growling/barking as a warning because it's natural for the dog to do.. But they should know that there's a point where it can stop. Like I said though, my situation is not the same as yours.

Bentley will also growl when we're playing. When we play fetch, if I don't throw the ball right away, he'll growl and turn around like he's trying to say "Well aren't you gonna throw it??".

Carter is very vocal though.. He yawns very loudly. He lets out a loud groan/howl almost when he yawns and stretches. He knows it gets our attention, unfortunately, he always gets a laugh out of someone. So we've accidentally conditioned him to do it.

I agree puppies that young should not be corrected. Puppy solicization and a new unfamaliar enviorment has alot to do with it.