Thread: Puppy Teeth

Images

Puppy Teeth

Fiona has yet to lose ANY of her puppy teeth. As most of you know, her exact age is kind of up in the air.
    We just know she had all (or close to) of her puppy teeth when we took her to the vet a week after we brought her home. The vet guessed she was "about" 8 weeks. I have read a puppy can get all of their puppy teeth between 6 and 8 weeks.
    Now, at our "about" 14.5 weeks she still has EVERY single tooth. At puppy cl$#@! tonight her trainer suggested that there is a chance she may be younger since she has not lost one tooth....

At what age did your puppy start to lose teeth? I have read it starts at 12 weeks.
    Could Fiona be younger than we guessed? This would then mean she was taken from her liter younger than 8 weeks... may explain some mouthing and bite inhibition struggles we had and are still working on...
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Abby&Fiona; 06-17-2011 at 12:15 AM.

Bear started losing his like clockwork right after he turned 4 1/2-5 months.

by 6 months he already lost them all and had all his big dog teeth in.

it is possible she was much younger than you guess, due to her size she may have thrown people off on her actual age.

Images
    Some fall out later than others, I am sure they will fall out in the 4-5 month range or 6 months depending on when they are ready. If they don't fall out by 6 months I would have your vet look at her teeth and they can surgically remove any retained (ones that don't fall out) teeth and the adult teeth will come in. :)
    Dixie lost hers by 6 months I want to say. But she should lose them, I wouldn't worry too much. ;) Retained teeth does happen, but the vet can easily remove them. :)
    Last edited by Krista; 06-17-2011 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krista View Post
    Some fall out later than others, I am sure they will fall out in the 4-5 month range or 6 months depending on when they are ready. If they don't fall out by 6 months I would have your vet look at her teeth and they can surgically remove any retained (ones that don't fall out) teeth and the adult teeth will come in. :)
    Dixie lost hers by 6 months I want to say. But she should lose them, I wouldn't worry too much. ;) Retained teeth does happen, but the vet can easily remove them. :)
    Yep. My Grandma has a tea cup yorkie and she is over a year and a half and STILL has all her puppy teeth. They are going to get them removed because it is causing reaaaallly horrid breath lol

Images
    I did read about that. I just have read many different times for tooth loss so I thought I would ask you guys. I am sure she will eventually lose them and I am not yet worried about it. I will begin to wonder if I don't see loss this summer. :-D I was just curious what is common among the pups.

Yea, youll see them change into a dull pink kind of color before they fall out.. at least Bears did. I could see which tooth was going to come out next because it would look different

Images
    Yeah we had a 6 month old poodle pup awhile back at the shelter that came with all of her front puppy teeth and her adult ones were in on the bottom. Horrible site to see I cringe thinking about it but she had them out when she was spayed.

Images
    Interesting. Thanks for the tips. :-D I think it's funny/annoying that I don't know how old my dog is. HAHA tis what comes with a rescue ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Abby&Fiona View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for the tips. :-D I think it's funny/annoying that I don't know how old my dog is. HAHA tis what comes with a rescue ;)
    yea but its like a surprise lol

she is a neat looking puppy :) I am so anxious to see how she turns out

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pookie! View Post
    it is possible she was much younger than you guess, due to her size she may have thrown people off on her actual age.
    This could be!
    She is 30# now. LOL Funny thing is that the rescue was guessing even older and we and our vet had the date corrected by 3 or 4 weeks! We could have guessed too old ourselves. Who knows. She is a super smart and cute little monster! ;)

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pookie! View Post
    yea but its like a surprise lol

she is a neat looking puppy :) I am so anxious to see how she turns out
    Thanks! :-D And it sure is a surprise! HAHA

Images
    I am too, she's a beautiful little pup! Can't wait to see how she matures, enjoy those puppy moments.. they grow up way too fast!

I have never seen a 12wk. old pup lose teeth, naturally anyway. Like everyone has said, they generally start around 4 1/2-5 months, but can continue loosing (usually the canines are the last to go) til up to 6-6 1/2 months. Sako "kept" one of his canines for a few weeks after he had finished with all of his other teeth (his adult tooth had already come through).. it finally got loose enough for me to wiggle around and I ended up pulling it out myself. I'm like the queen of pulling puppy teeth LOL.. I had to pull my friends Rottie's canine out too when it was being stubborn.

13. I think she's part mastiff from all your pics. She's huge...but for example, in your current avatar, she looks to be between 10-12 weeks old, despite her size. That could explain this. Despite what we would like to think, vets and rescues aren't always that great at estimating age, nor breed. That kind of stuff can't be taught. It comes from being naturally observant and attuned to that sort of stuff along with a lot of first hand experience. Experience by itself menas nothing if you don't have the "eye" for it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorpit View Post
    I think she's part mastiff from all your pics. She's huge...but for example, in your current avatar, she looks to be between 10-12 weeks old, despite her size. That could explain this. Despite what we would like to think, vets and rescues aren't always that great at estimating age, nor breed. That kind of stuff can't be taught. It comes from being naturally observant and attuned to that sort of stuff along with a lot of first hand experience. Experience by itself menas nothing if you don't have the "eye" for it.
    goodness, I absolutely agree!!! In that picture she was about 11 weeks from our estimated birthday. I know we are within a couple weeks, so not too worried. we think she may be part mastiff as well. There are more than just her size that could be leading us in that direction. We aren't even sure if she is pit, or "what one" (you all know what I mean, not trying to sound ignorant). Her papers say the mom she was transported with was a boxer mix.... What the mix was...who knows! Lol
    I had read on a few different sites that tooth loss is sometimes seen.between 12&16 weeks. But I definitely find it more commonly stated-16-20.....
    We will watch and enjoy the adventure. ;)

dont worry bout teeth. they dont not grow. only time you should even slightly care is when you have full adult and retained puppy teeth still in (and you shouldnt even have to care about that, pulling them is easy)

As bad as it sounds, I never noticed whether or not they were losing teeth. I never found any around the house, and I'd mess with their mouths one day and it was all puppy teeth, then it seemed like the next time I messed with their mouths, it was adult teeth. Or I was more concerned with Ethel's inability to control her bowels at the time (damn large breed dogs).

17. I was ALWAYS aware...only because I am an extremely lucky person. I'd always find their lost puppy canines. In the bottom of my foot. Ouch. :/

Images
    Ouch!!!! Ohgee I can't wait!!;)

Images
    Someone lost some teeth this weekend! I may have helped when I yanked the leash out of her mouth lol but no bleeding. She was also putting everything in her mouth at the lagoon today. She is crazy about water!!!!!! So much fun in the sand and river. She loved it! anyways, 2 teeth gone. I plan to post pictures of her dirty adventure later :)

20. My pup is almost 6 months and finally all of his adult teeth is in.