Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,836
    Images
    19

    Hog Hunting With Dogs-Where is it legal?

    I stumbled on some videos of people using pit bull type dog breeds as hunting dogs for feral pigs.I know certain states you can only use dogs to flush or retrieve game(pointers,setters,retrievers on birds) but you cannot actually use dogs to bring down larger game.It struck me as interesting and was wondering what states it is legal to use dogs to track,persue,capture and kill feral or wild hogs?

  2. in most states where hunting feral hogs is legal, you can hunt them with dogs.

    Generally hunting rules are set per species. So in a state where hunting hogs with dogs is legal, don't expect to be able to hunt deer with dogs.

  3. #3
    you can in ga, and i think alabama too.

  4. #4
    Im pretty sure in AR you can hunt razorbacks with dogs.. those are gnarly pigs lol

    Even if you not "allowed" to you still can :D

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    way down south
    Posts
    569
    Images
    14
    I know you can in Louisiana as well.

  6. #6
    It's legal in Florida, Georgia, and Alabama, that I know of. All my friends in Florida who hunt, use pitbulls as catch dogs, a couple of my bf's cousins take trips to Georgia to hog hunt with their pitbulls, and I know a couple in Bama who use them too.
    It's rather exhilarating to hog hunt with a pit, there's no other way I'll hunt.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    4,702
    Images
    4
    It's legal here (Alabama). In Florida I don't believe it is, a woman and daughter were recently arrested for catchdog training.

    ---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

    Looks like you can't train catch dogs in Florida no more

  8. #8
    I think I would be scared to lol those pigs freak me out.. I remember when I was little in AR and saw a whole bunch of wild hogs.. they scared the hell out of me so bad, and they are mean as sin..

    People in AZ think these little Javalena are scary lol hell to the no. They arent even pigs..

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffdog View Post
    It's legal here (Alabama). In Florida I don't believe it is, a woman and daughter were recently arrested for catchdog training.

    ---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

    Looks like you can't train catch dogs in Florida no more
    Nope, still legal in the state of Florida, if it wasn't all of my bf's family would up and move to Georgia or Bama. The only way they could've gotten arrested is if they were hog hunting when it wasn't hog season, and then theyd be screwed, the game wardens are pretty tough back home in Florida

  10. i think you can here in TX too. But ive only known ppl to let the dogs locate and hold and usually the person will kill, not the dog. and Ive seen special vests for the dogs to wear so they dont get hurt.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by HAVIK2211 View Post
    i think you can here in TX too. But ive only known ppl to let the dogs locate and hold and usually the person will kill, not the dog. and Ive seen special vests for the dogs to wear so they dont get hurt.
    Cut vest. My ex had taken me hog hunting with his red nose before out in St. Augustine, bad $#@! catch dog, and he was after a 150lb hog. Long story short, he caught the hog by the ear, lost his grip, then he got too excited and started biting the hog's $#@! end - bad mistake. The hog turned around, managed to get his tusk under the cut vest and sliced his stomach open.
    We rushed him to the vet, got him stiched up, and he healed up pretty good.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Southern, Alabama
    Posts
    2,556
    To actually hunt with them here is legal, but if you get caught training them they will lock your $#@! up. Crazy i know. Thats why all my dogs come pre-trained

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffdog View Post
    It's legal here (Alabama). In Florida I don't believe it is, a woman and daughter were recently arrested for catchdog training.

    ---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

    Looks like you can't train catch dogs in Florida no more
    After reading the link, I can't say I'd ever consider that hog hunting. I've neve trained nor seen my friends train their catch dogs on a domesticated pig and then to allow the dog to attack the legs and other body areas. That's not a catch dog, and that's not hog training, sounds more like two sociopathic women trying to see some blood and gore. No wonder they got arrested.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Southern, Alabama
    Posts
    2,556
    Training them on domesticated pigs?? That would be like training a boxer for a fight by having him spar with a middle schooler, cruel and pointless.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Budboy88 View Post
    Training them on domesticated pigs?? That would be like training a boxer for a fight by having him spar with a middle schooler, cruel and pointless.
    Yeah that's what I'm saying! Read the link that cliffdog posted. Have you ever heard of anything like that, training wise?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    4,702
    Images
    4
    So you wanna turn a green dog loose on a wild boar and just let it figure it out for itself (or die trying)? The domesticated pigs are, as far as I know, to teach the pup to grab the ear. It's a learned hold, they aren't born knowing to grab the ear.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Southern, Alabama
    Posts
    2,556
    laws man shut up lol

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffdog View Post
    So you wanna turn a green dog loose on a wild boar and just let it figure it out for itself (or die trying)? The domesticated pigs are, as far as I know, to teach the pup to grab the ear. It's a learned hold, they aren't born knowing to grab the ear.
    Wild hog and pig are so not even close to being the same; if you teach them on a domesticated pig, and then take them out to the woods on a 150+lb wild boar hog with tusks, they're going to get hurt.
    I've always trained mine with my own hogs. You catch'em in a hog trap, and stick'em in your hog pen, make sure they're smaller sized, about 50lbs. Then we've always trained through the fence first, my six and seven month old already know what the hog pen is. They haul $#@! to it every chance they get, and will follow the hog along the fencing, following exactly where his head is.
    And pretty soon here, they'll be let loose on one of the hogs in the pen, we don't train without precaution anyway, taser, couple extra hands, and a break stick. I've never had my dogs get hurt with this training method, and neither has the friend who taught it to me, who's dog singlehandedly took down a 150lb boar hog.
    Domesticated pig is just that domesticated, and it's rather cruel and pointless in my eyes to train a catch dog on one. We all have our methods of training and opinions, and that's one I find inhumane for a farm animal, and not a goo enough training method for my dogs.

  19. #19
    Domesticated pig (farm pig not pet) or a young (50lb) ferral pig that is put in a cage. I really don't see too much of a difference hear. A feral pig that small won't have tusks that amount to anything will it?

    Not trying to stir the pot but I can't grasp the difference.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by PitMomma24 View Post
    Wild hog and pig are so not even close to being the same; if you teach them on a domesticated pig, and then take them out to the woods on a 150+lb wild boar hog with tusks, they're going to get hurt.
    I've always trained mine with my own hogs. You catch'em in a hog trap, and stick'em in your hog pen, make sure they're smaller sized, about 50lbs. Then we've always trained through the fence first, my six and seven month old already know what the hog pen is. They haul $#@! to it every chance they get, and will follow the hog along the fencing, following exactly where his head is.
    And pretty soon here, they'll be let loose on one of the hogs in the pen, we don't train without precaution anyway, taser, couple extra hands, and a break stick. I've never had my dogs get hurt with this training method, and neither has the friend who taught it to me, who's dog singlehandedly took down a 150lb boar hog.
    Domesticated pig is just that domesticated, and it's rather cruel and pointless in my eyes to train a catch dog on one. We all have our methods of training and opinions, and that's one I find inhumane for a farm animal, and not a goo enough training method for my dogs.
    so what you saying it is cool to do it wild baby pig but not for a domesticated pig. and tasering a pig is not cruel. you can't be on both sides of the fence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hunting dogs.
    By destinoscelgo in forum General Dog Discussions
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 02-20-2012, 05:19 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2011, 09:00 PM
  3. Hunting Dogs?
    By StephanieB in forum General Dog Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-11-2010, 11:06 PM
  4. Group Research: What's the Legal Limit on Dogs?
    By Terrierman in forum Dog Blogs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2009, 07:00 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 09:20 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

how to train a catch dog for hog hunting

legal hog hunting with dogs

is hog hunting with dogs legal

is hog hunting with dogs illegal

places to hog hunt with dogs in florida

pookie hog hunt florida

is it legal to hunt hogs in alabama using dogs

places to hog hunt with dogs in ga

hog hunting with dogs in pa

hog dog training fl

is it illegal to hunt hogs with dogs

how to train a dog to hunt wild hogs

how to train a hog catch dog

how to train dogs to hunt wild hogs

is boar hunting with dogs legal

hog dog training florida

hog dog hunting regulations in alabama

hog hunting with dogs az

pitbull in hog pen

is it illegal to hunt hogs with dogs in alabama

hog hunting with pitbull laws

florida laws for hog hunting with dogs

is it legal to hunt with hounds

is it illegal to let your pitbull catch wild hogs

places to hunt hogs with dogs in florida

what states is it legal to hunt hogs with dogs

Is it agasnit the law to use catch dogs on hogs in ga

is it legal to put a hog and a dog in a pin to train the dog

pitbull hunting

trained hog dogs florida

is using pit bulls for hunting still legal

is it ilegal to hunt hogs with dogs in florida

hog hunting with dogs in Pa legal

Hog hunting with dogs in Alabama

alabama hog hunting with dogs

Bookmarks