1. pit bull/bull mastiff mix

So my aunts neighbor recently "rescued" a pit bull/bull mastiff mix (really im pretty sure they got it from a byb..) mind you this guys adorable.
    I had read on an old thread awhile back (i dont remember where i read it on here) that those two breeds mixed together is a bad combination. I figure it would be the pit bulls drive and the mastiffs guardian instinct. Am I right about that?

So far im not really liking anything about this guy. He got this dog because his other dog (an apbt) is getting old and basically wants to replace him (apparently this dog is 15) BUT because the little guy (whos not that little mind you) has tried to attack the older dog blah blah blah so now the pup stays outside almost 24/7. Which is fine with me,

My problem is my aunt is petrified of "pit bulls" in general and the only reason she has warmed up to them is because of my dogs and im not about to have her go back to being petrified because her neighbor is an $#@!.

My question is ; is an APBT/Bull Mastiff mix a dangerous combination? What are some possible behavior traits to look out for? Im not really familiar with the Mastiff breeds so Im not too sure about anything. What I do know is a Mastiff dog (stable) is not some crazy killer animal but my fear is that if this dog DID come from a BYB then it probably wasnt bred very well...

sorry im rambling >.< its late

Mutts are unpredictable. Could be this dog will end up a nice guy who lazes around in the sun and loves visitors. Could also be this guy lazes around in the sun plotting ways to slaughter the neighbors. Its a mix, possibly from unstable parents. You won't know til the dog is grown and its personality gels. I think the best chance this dog and the neighbors have is if the owner takes time to socialize him, provides him with training and exercise and is in general a responsible dog owner.

Puppies are $#@!s. They "attack" and annoy older dogs and basically randomly do stupid $#@!. That's when the owner steps in and teaches the pup what is and is not acceptable. Putting him outside instead of working with him is a bad sign.

3. Im afraid hes not a responsible owner. His older dog (the one hes waiting on to die) jumped out the window a few years back and tried to attack my aunt (so she says..i wasnt there) which is why she has just a fear for the breed now. I mean...I think my cousin said the neighbors putting up a new fence..I hope thats the truth and I hope it helps. I guess ill have to wait to find out

But thats to be expected somewhat with a guarding breed, my EMastiff tried to attack me when I was climbing in my window.. she also would try and attack people if they didnt announce themselves prior to coming into the door..
    Thats just what she did because thats the kind of dog she is..

5. Quote Originally Posted by pookie! View Post
    But thats to be expected somewhat with a guarding breed, my EMastiff tried to attack me when I was climbing in my window.. she also would try and attack people if they didnt announce themselves prior to coming into the door..
    Thats just what she did because thats the kind of dog she is..
    . I mean. I know that thats what they are bred to do but the one i was talking about was the alledgedly purebred apbt (hes the older one) and my aunt was in her driveway.

Oh.. sorry, I got confused..

I suppose time will tell. In the right hands, or with the right kind of luck, it could be a damn fine dog.

If it were me in that situation, I'd speak with the owner, see if he's okay with me coming by now and then to make friends with it, seeing as I live next door, I'll be in and out and what not all the time and it'll keep the dog from barking at me all the time. Especially after what happened with his last dog, say I want to get to know them as an attempt to prevent another incident.

I did this with my one neighbor (the other ones are $#@!bags and most of the 10 people living in that house are shady as $#@!). She was introduced to the dogs when we moved in, and she comes to the fence line now and then to say hi, pet them and give them treats. They really like her too, and she's the only person they don't bark at. It put her at ease having 3 crazy dogs living next door, and she says she feels safer knowing they're here.

I would think you would end up with a high prey driven, potentially DA, large dog with guarding tendencies IF the parents were both good examples of their breed.

I tend to agree with this information:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...S=0&C=0&A=2370
    Crosses of breeds are sometimes predictable as to what you might expect from the offspring. Labrador retriever and German Shepherd Dog, for example, is a common cross that tends to produce large, black dogs with short hair. The ear set can do anything—and one may do one thing while the other does something else. The dogs will likely be strong, high in energy, natural retrievers, protective of property, eager to learn, and not the right match for an owner who doesn*t want to get seriously involved in dog training!

Dogs with a terrier parent are likely to fight with other dogs of the same sex. Dogs with a parent of one of the giant breeds are likely to be large. A dog with a Chihuahua parent will probably be small. If both parents of a dog have long or short coats, the dog is likely to inherit the coat length of the parents. But when one parent has a long coat and the other a short one, the coat the pup will have is unpredictable.
    Some surly-tempered dogs don*t have much energy, so their “leave me alone” attitudes are manageable. When you mix that breed with an energetic breed, the outcome can be a dog who very energetically expresses aggression. This is not good!

One mistake people make in considering temperament of a mix to adopt is expecting the dog to inherit “the best” of both breeds. More often, a mix inherits the most extreme traits of both breeds. Extreme traits are there in the first place because breeders worked long and hard over many generations to set those traits into the genetics of the breed. The traits needed for many of the jobs that humans have bred dogs to do may not be at all when you need. If you don*t do your homework, you won*t know what you*re getting into with a mix.

Another mistake is to expect that if you raise a dog with love, the dog will turn out as you desire. A dog is the victim of instinct, with less higher brain function than a human. As a result, there is a great deal about a dog that you simply cannot overcome with rearing or training because the dog*s higher brain function simply is not powerful enough to overcome the impulses. Bad handling can make a temperament much worse than it would otherwise have been, but even the best handling cannot rise above the limitations of the dog*s genetics. Do that homework!

9. Quote Originally Posted by omgrobyn View Post
    I suppose time will tell. In the right hands, or with the right kind of luck, it could be a damn fine dog.

If it were me in that situation, I'd speak with the owner, see if he's okay with me coming by now and then to make friends with it, seeing as I live next door, I'll be in and out and what not all the time and it'll keep the dog from barking at me all the time. Especially after what happened with his last dog, say I want to get to know them as an attempt to prevent another incident.

I did this with my one neighbor (the other ones are $#@!bags and most of the 10 people living in that house are shady as $#@!). She was introduced to the dogs when we moved in, and she comes to the fence line now and then to say hi, pet them and give them treats. They really like her too, and she's the only person they don't bark at. It put her at ease having 3 crazy dogs living next door, and she says she feels safer knowing they're here.
    I'm going to suggest this to my aunt and hopefully she will go for it.
    Im glad the neighbors putting up a new fence, that makes me feel a bit better about the situation for her sake. She seems to be a bit more relaxed since shes seriously petrified of these dogs... I keep telling her it could be a great dog and hopefully he trains his dog the right way and not to be some $#@!hole you know?