Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question How much can a pitbull run?

Fallout has always been an active dog. Lately though he has been driving me insane wanting more than our walks (3miles) and tug sessions (which he can now beat me at). Today I took him out with my mountain bike and ran him for around three miles. We stopped once for him to swim. By the end of it he had finally reached a 'calm' energy level. That got me to thinking though, how much CAN a Pitbull run without the risk of injury? I know in about four hours he is going to be hyper again. I'd like to take him on a run which would totally wipe him out for the day, but I'm not sure how long is safe.

Also, does anyone know how far a Beagle can run? Fallout's best friend is a Beagle who enjoys coming along for exercise.

depends on the dog

Images
    just work him slowly up to what you want him to run. you will notice when he has had enough. my boy is the same way i just try to keep up enough with him to burn him out. if you want to burn him out a little faster throw a dog backpack on him and let him hump some water bottles on the run/or walks.

what are you feeding currently and how much?

4. Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsMommy View Post
    what are you feeding currently and how much?
    Couple of bowls of this per day.

The Beagle who runs with Fallout eats a couple of bowls of this per day.

They're both almost a year old so we should probably switch them to dog food.

As much as he wants. Mine will run 5 to six miles pulling me on a mountain bike before his feet go raw. Usually I have to stop him because of it, he would probably go as long as I let him.

It depends on the dog.. my AST pup could probably run a heck of a lot longer than my adults if I let him. Piper would love to run forever, but she's not exactly built like a tri-athlete LOL.

Oh and.. please get them OFF those foods.. both of them are terrible.

Images
    Everyone has given great advice. However, Beneful & Ol'roy are crap. Look into something better like TOTW, Orijen, Blue Buffalo, or Acana. Those are all life stages foods. :)

At about a year old you can start to exercise them a bit more than when they are younger. How much they can do depends on a lot of factors. Different dogs are built differently and thus will be able to sustain more or less running than other dogs. Where you run them and the surface they run on also makes a difference. Personally I think 3 miles is quite a light exercise load. In the past I have run some of my dogs up to 30km per day which is probably around 20miles. I avoid working them too much when they are pups though and i like to try to avoid too much hard pavement running. I have seen dogs break from these and by about 8 years old they were having issues when they walked more than a mile or so.

I tend to disagree with some of the others that the dog will know when it has had enough. By their nature they are stoic and will probably ge well beyond comfortable limits before showing signs of wanting to stop. By then, they can have already caused some damage to themselves. This is perfectly illustrated by the dog above which will run its pads raw. If they really knew when to stop, it would stop before this point. I have known of several dogs which would do this and then not be able to walk much for a few days until their feet healed again. At the age you mention and the distances involved, I wouldn't think you would overdo it.

a couple BOWLS?? How big are the bowls you are feeding?
    Last edited by Krista; 05-24-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Most certainly agree, those food choices for kibble are rubbish! You should take a look at the sticky "what we feed our dogs" here in the health and nutritional care.

As far as how much distance a dog can achieve by running solely depends on the individual dog's condition. Zoey runs until her paws come down with blisters, so what I have done is to work with gradual sessions to toughen up her paws along with building up the dog's condition.

As mentioned it depends on the dog. My boy is a major couch potato, sleeping on my bed all day, but when we take him out on the bike he will pull us as fast as he can until we make him stop, then when hes home hes passed out the whole next day. While my lab on the other hand is more high energy, running around the yard barking at things every day, she recovers in a few hours and is again full of eneregy, but she has a much shorter limit. When we bike ride with both we stop and walk the last bit home because my lab stars weezing if she tries to run the entire route like Harley as opposed to slowly trotting it like she would prefer. Or if we go to the park to let them run around after about 10 minutes my lab is starting to weeze and lay down inbetween playing while Harley is still running around like we just got there. So really it does depend on the dog. We never push my boys limit because we dont want to over do him since he lays around so much. I think you need to judge by the dog. See how they are handling the exercise and go from there. Do multiple shorter sessions if the dog needs for a break. I would imagine the beagle wont be able to go as far or as fast with its shorter legs if your on a bike but if your just jogging with them you could probably build the beagle up to keep up with you and your pit bull.
    I also agree to get them off that food. Food quality can really make a difference in your dog. As Joey said, read the sticky and if you have any questions on food feel free to ask!

I tend to disagree with some of the others that the dog will know when it has had enough. By their nature they are stoic and will probably ge well beyond comfortable limits before showing signs of wanting to stop. By then, they can have already caused some damage to themselves. This is perfectly illustrated by the dog above which will run its pads raw. If they really knew when to stop, it would stop before this point. I have known of several dogs which would do this and then not be able to walk much for a few days until their feet healed again. At the age you mention and the distances involved, I wouldn't think you would overdo it

+1 My mutt will not stop & occasionally I notice her limping when we get home from pad damage. She currently has 2 splits in a rear pad but is not favouring it. She rarely runs on tarmac & I think the damage comes from stopping not running.
    It's not just an endless taste for running either, she is the same for swimming & I really believe she would drown before she gave up.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
    I tend to disagree with some of the others that the dog will know when it has had enough. By their nature they are stoic and will probably ge well beyond comfortable limits before showing signs of wanting to stop. By then, they can have already caused some damage to themselves. This is perfectly illustrated by the dog above which will run its pads raw. If they really knew when to stop, it would stop before this point. I have known of several dogs which would do this and then not be able to walk much for a few days until their feet healed again. At the age you mention and the distances involved, I wouldn't think you would overdo it

+1 My mutt will not stop & occasionally I notice her limping when we get home from pad damage. She currently has 2 splits in a rear pad but is not favouring it. She rarely runs on tarmac & I think the damage comes from stopping not running.
    It's not just an endless taste for running either, she is the same for swimming & I really believe she would drown before she gave up.
    i agree, Peanut is the same way as your dog Sandi. Peanut will not stop but we have to watch him and look for signs that we have come to know watching him that he is getting tired but he won't acknowlege it. you just have to know your dog and know when it is time to end the exercise.

Images
    Peanutsmommy and Sandi,I have the same issue with Bella.She doesn't care one bit if she's injured or exhausted,she wants to GO! She has 2 speeds on and off.Or as I call it full on and couch potato. I have had some paw and pad injuries and she didn't care,she broke/tore nails-still wanted to run,cut her tougue still wanted to bite a tree branch.She has NO quit.She would run until she passed out and fell over if i'd let her.So no,she has NO concept of when to stop.

To the OP,please switch to a better quality dog food.It looks exspensive,but honestly you might end up paying less.Better quality=less food consumed.Seriously.

For feed look for good ingredients and look at the label from my experience 20 30 or above is good for me. Sometimes walking in my opinion is just not enough. I have my dogs pull me on a skateboard my Mudd use to do 6 miles and finish the last 1/4 mile faster than the first but I would have to ask him to dig deep. I have never had a problem with raw pads other than in the mountains Ice House saddle in Mt. Baldy schooled my boy once. something I use to do also was take them to a baseball field close the gate and trow ball. I don't think his best friend should be involved if you are really trying to condition. I believe dogs prefer one on one, they want all our attention plus I just dont think he will be able to keep up in the long run. Friends can always frolic in the yard that is good for a sound temperament. just my opinion

also if you guys only run on real hard surface do it in the morning or evening and dont be afraid to let them runn on dirt or gr$#@! from time to time.
    I am sure concrete and asphalt is better suited for shoes and automobile tires than dogie feet.

17. I agree

18. I don't know how to quote yet damn it! I meant that I agree with Sandi and Peanut. I have to stop both of mine.

Get some better food.
    I'm a big fan of the Acana grain free forumulas, all of which are all life stages food.

Your dog is under 1 year? Be very careful not to overexercise him... Those bones and ligaments can be damaged by too much hard exercise before 18 months of age.
    He would probably love to play flirt pole. Really good lower impact way to burn off that puppy energy.

Images
    visiongee are you from california?

something i do for Peanut he used to get bloody paws is he wears ruff wear boots:)
    also if you don't want your dog to wear boots in competition i use mushers secret his feet to turn up injured with that stuff either :)
    hehe...the more you know(imagaine the little star with the rainbow following...i think i am showing my age lol)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast