Guess What My BF Did..

Well... I had to buy a new light because the old one broke so we used a reg. bulb which caused algae to grow like mad.. And I had some extra money so my BF fell in love with these Platy, which (because I am a nice girlfriend) bought for him.

So.. We finally get home, and man does this light make the tank look cool!!! BUT there is hard water and algae on the gl$#@! cover, so my BF asks if he can scrape it off with a razor and clean it in the tub and stuff.

I screwed up here.. and got on the phone with my Gma and wasnt watching my BF like a hawk.

I get of the phone and go to bathroom to clean the tank lids with a scrubber to get the algae off the gl$#@!..

Come back out and wipe them down with the rag, and put them back on.. then I notice it...

The unmistakable smell of ....pine sol.... :eek:

I ask my BF why the tank smells like pine sol and he goes "Because I was cleaning the tank with it"

Oh. My. God.

I made him show me how he used it and where, then took everything off the tank re-washed it, and re-cleaned all the plastic with a clean rag and nothing smelled like pine sol afterwards..

I dont think he got any into the tank, it was diluted pine sol with water, mostly water.. and he didnt spray it on the tank, he put it on a rag and cleaned the top of the tank..

Poor guy. I scared the hell out of him because he seriously didnt know this could kill ALL our fish. Even his.

I just got done doing a 50% water change and re-cleaned the whole outside with a rag and water just to be sure.. Going to do another change in a day or so just to be sure.

So far everyone seems okay..

Who knew it wasnt common knowledge that you dont use chemicals near fish tanks..?

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Fresh clean tank.. with no pine sol.

My new fishies (Danios, Silver Dollars, and my BF's Platy)

Sounds like one of my moments where I think to myself "This probably isn't a good idea,in fact I know it's not a good idea" but I just keep doing whatever it was anyway.That white plant is cool.

Lol

I hate that white plant.. stupid algae grows on it like no other, and poop and food gets stuck in it...

Quote Originally Posted by pookie! View Post
    Lol

I hate that white plant.. stupid algae grows on it like no other, and poop and food gets stuck in it...
    ewww,I bet.I didn't even think about that.

Yea its the dumbest plant I have.. but I found it in the trash so ehh thats probably why the people threw it out lol

Stupid boys.

---------- Post added at 03:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 AM ----------

That kind of reminds me of the time where my old roommate girlfriend's son threw a ciggie in my 20 gallon and all of the fish died. I was super peeved. I had invested $200 in that tank at that time. Ugh....I totally made the bitch give me the $200 to replace the fish.

Yea I have spent quite a bit on the stock in the tank, along with the hours of care... plus I got attached to my fish lol I would be so sad if they all died... might even cry.

He was the Spawn of the Devil. He was one of the worst behaved children I have ever known. I wanted to beat him silly and then beat his mom silly. Ugh...so happy I do not have to deal with them anymore.