Thread: Dog Bone Filler

Images

Dog Bone Filler

I know you can put peanut butter in the bone and freeze it so the dog has a new challenge.. But what about something healthier that just a bunch of peanut butter?

I've been looking around Google (Gatorpit, ) and I've found people mix yogurt with chopped up veggies or put in canned dog food and freeze it..

Anyone else have any ideas or do anything like this?

I don't do that as I don't like buying cooked bones. But you can do yogurt, cottage cheese, you could grind raw meat up and stuff the bone with it, canned dog food, veggie puree, etc.

When I make a frozen kong for PEyton, I normally just clog the bottom hole up with a bit of cheese or peanut butter, then fill with kibble, hot water (and maybe some chicken/beef broth if I have any lying around) and any little extras if I want (left over grilled chicken sometimes, or veggies or treats), top with peanut butter and freeze overnight. The hot water helps the kibble turn into an mush which freezes into a block, its quite nice.

I've also used yogurt before, mixed with some kibble and whatnots and frozen, Peyton looveeddd that.

Quote Originally Posted by PeytonLove View Post
    When I make a frozen kong for PEyton, I normally just clog the bottom hole up with a bit of cheese or peanut butter, then fill with kibble, hot water (and maybe some chicken/beef broth if I have any lying around) and any little extras if I want (left over grilled chicken sometimes, or veggies or treats), top with peanut butter and freeze overnight. The hot water helps the kibble turn into an mush which freezes into a block, its quite nice.

I've also used yogurt before, mixed with some kibble and whatnots and frozen, Peyton looveeddd that.

i have done this also i used a small piece of cork though to clog it, then removed. I mix beef broth with some high value treat bits, hot dog, bread(my dog loves soggy bread), raw meat etc. something a little different every time.

keeps her occupied for a good but.

Slices of american cheese rolled up in your hands into a little ball and then shoved down into the hole work really well to clog it up. Knowing my dumb dog, he'd eat the cork haha.

Definitely keeps my guy busy, and actually tires him out. He works so hard to get every last bit of deliciousness out of the Kong, when he's done he zonks out for a good nap. I try to give him a Kong every morning before I go to work so he's busy for a while and not moping the house sad that everyone left him. lol!

For Harley with his sensitive stomach I just stick to yogurt and his kibble soaked with water and frozen. With Indy I add green beans if I have them (we usually always do), sometimes banana, hot dog (now that shes not fat anymore) or if I go out to eat and have left over steak I bring it home to cut up and use in the kongs as well.

Images
    I'm having a hell of a time finding something to plug a hole on the Kong with that won't make Carter (my sensitive stomach pup) sick...

Thanks for this post and all the good ideas. I have given my dog frozen raw bones but I just switched to filling up a kong for her instead.

Images
    I plug the hole with a pebble, LOL. I remove it before I give it to the dog...

Images
    If I had a rock big enough.. I would use it, but I don't.. Lol. I might be able to use wet food to freeze and plug it.. I don't know yet. I'll just keep making messes in the freezer until something works

Images
    Well, I'm sure there's something in your house that you don't need, which will fit! It just may take you a while to find it. lol

Maybe layer it with a cheese cork, some pumpkin, peanut butter, yogurt, wet food.....thanks for all the ideas!