1. "stuff from the river" tank...

I've hd an empty 55 running for three months now...well, mostly empty. There's a crayfish I caught out back in the swamp last year still there.

Anyway...since I'm pretty much disgusted with tropicals, but want a "community" tank...I've decided to stock it with whatever I can snatch out of the swamp or river behind my house.

I'll keep this updated with additions. :)

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

Let me clarify...it's been running for a year, but has been empty of all but the crayfish for three months. :P

Cool! I used to do this when I lived in arkansas. I got some kind of muscle out of the creek and it stayed in my 30gal with some crayfish and weird creek fish lol

3. I found a shoal of bowfin fry last year. I didn't have anything to keep them in but that would have been awsome to raise a couple of those.

i did it with a 44 gallon corner tank and everything died off
    the guy i buy bait from told me its because they need a winter. ??

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

the largemouth b$#@! were the most aggressive fish id ever seen. when it was feeding time they made my oscars look timid

Not as far as I know, fish dont "need" weather changes..

I like the look of bowfin, are they big fish? they seem like they would get HUGE, and they look like American snakeheads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! I think I want one
    Last edited by pookie!; 05-01-2011 at 11:10 PM.

i think its a parasite thing. thats why fish here in Iowa need that ice cold water

Maybe, but if you had no heater or anything in your tank I think they should have been fine. But fish can get all kinds of bugs and sickness'.
    Or sometimes they just die lol

I had a largemouth b$#@! when I lived in Arkansas and he was a vicious fish, when he was about 3inches he killed everything in my Gmas "tropical community" tank lol she was pissed, he ate well over 100$ worth of fish, so she got him a different tank but by 8inches she took him away from me and put him back into the river lol

with no heater it still would have been room temp.
    i really dont know for sure what happened but they all died within a week and nothing had changed/been added so go figure.
    i wish ya luck, local fish are far more interesting than tropical, but im a fisherman so thats a given

That's cool looking,the only thing I've ever got out of the River were carp and ugly $#@! gar,I hate those hideous things!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee D View Post
    with no heater it still would have been room temp.
    i really dont know for sure what happened but they all died within a week and nothing had changed/been added so go figure.
    i wish ya luck, local fish are far more interesting than tropical, but im a fisherman so thats a given
    Filtration, water aeration, and ph and dechlorination stuff have a lot to do with it. But any who I dont know what for sure could have killed them in a week.

Not my local fish, Arizona has nothing cool... everything here I would rather eat than keep in a tank lol

I want to go a little north in Flagg and go fishing.. but I have to talk my BF into doing that, go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by chloesredboy2 View Post
    That's cool looking,the only thing I've ever got out of the River were carp and ugly $#@! gar,I hate those hideous things!
    I got a HUGE carp out of a man made pond in the middle of Phoenix! Here is my BF being a dork $#@! after he his my brother in the face with it..

I cooked that bitch and ATE IT lol Man I have never seen so much blood come out of a fish before!

I would kill for an alligator gar in my tank...

Quote Originally Posted by pookie! View Post
    Filtration, water aeration, and ph and dechlorination stuff have a lot to do with it. But any who I dont know what for sure could have killed them in a week.

Not my local fish, Arizona has nothing cool... everything here I would rather eat than keep in a tank lol

I want to go a little north in Flagg and go fishing.. but I have to talk my BF into doing that, go figure.

I got a HUGE carp out of a man made pond in the middle of Phoenix! Here is my BF being a dork $#@! after he his my brother in the face with it..

I cooked that bitch and ATE IT lol Man I have never seen so much blood come out of a fish before!

I would kill for an alligator gar in my tank...
    Uhg,I can't stand them,ugly mofo's.Did you say he hit your brother in the face with that fish? If so that's some funny $#@!!

Yea my BF saw him sleeping on the couch and he made the fish kiss him and then whacked him right in the face with it because he didnt wake up when it "kissed" him lol

I love AG they are so cool!! and the big big ones are very rare to see in the wild now... I saw one BIG one in Arkansas that they got out of the river by throwing some electrodes in the water and shocking them to the surface and then threw them in a 1000gal on the back of a truck and drove around with it.

Yea my BF saw him sleeping on the couch and he made the fish kiss him and then whacked him right in the face with it because he didnt wake up when it "kissed" him lol

I love AG they are so cool!! and the big big ones are very rare to see in the wild now... I saw one BIG one in Arkansas that they got out of the river by throwing some electrodes in the water and shocking them to the surface and then threw them in a 1000gal on the back of a truck and drove around with it.
    Right on! your BF is awesome,that is so something I would do.like when I put a dead Squirrel in my friends car in the drivers seat with the seat belt on and a cig butt in it's mouth.

It's the Arkansas River that runs through Wichita and yeah,I've some big ones come out,god knows it's probably some sort of genetic mutation from the pollution though.

Dude one time my friend left her car near me, and I caught a wild mallard female and threw it in the back seat and she didnt notice until it started freaking out like halfway home lol

So she called me over and we filled the bathtub up in the apt. and fed it bread, and he BF came home at like 2am from work and walked in and his jaw literally dropped and was like WTF ARE YOU DOING! lol She was fine and we took her back to where I grabbed her lol

I am not sure if it was the Arkansas or Mississippi I lived right where they connected or something. I would kill to move back there! I used to run off in the woods and fin creeks and catch some cool $#@!!

Dude one time my friend left her car near me, and I caught a wild mallard female and threw it in the back seat and she didnt notice until it started freaking out like halfway home lol

So she called me over and we filled the bathtub up in the apt. and fed it bread, and he BF came home at like 2am from work and walked in and his jaw literally dropped and was like WTF ARE YOU DOING! lol She was fine and we took her back to where I grabbed her lol

I am not sure if it was the Arkansas or Mississippi I lived right where they connected or something. I would kill to move back there! I used to run off in the woods and fin creeks and catch some cool $#@!!
    OMG.We might have been separated at birth,one time I was going to put an opossum in that same friends car but I had on these really thick gloves so it couldn't bite me and I couldn't get a hold of it and the damn thing got away when I was trying to get it out of the trap.I was pissed.:mad:

Lol right! One time I saw a big opossum and I set my rat terrier on it lol only to find out it was like a 45lb opossum and a 10lbs dog, I almost got him killed, and thats how I found out he was deaf lol

I have done so much stuff like that, I love messing with people. I have a friend who is scared to death of bugs, even the word "bug" freaks him out, and I came in and threw a headphone cover at him and in mid air I told him it was a bug beetle, I swear he pee'd himself.

I was so scared of opossums in Arkansas, this crazy lady would fead them and skunks and coons and they were GIGANTIC fat things and then in the summer they would all get rabies! And the main head redneck would go shoot them lol and one year his dog got rabies, I swear it was the scariest thing ever. I saw it coming down the road and ran as fast as I could! It wasnt nearly as cool as Old Yeller.

17. Alrighty...went out yesterday morning and gathered two types of clams, about half a dozen fresh water flounder (didn't know we had those here), a dozen mosquito fish (one of the males is that weird dalmation pattern), a baby bluegill/sunfish of some sort, some gr$#@! shrimp, and three unidentified fish of the same species. I'll let you know when I figure out what they are exactly.

Pictures? I caught some fish in a local pond thing here, and they were grey, VERY aggressive, and had weird round shaped heads with dark grey/black bumpy knobs on the front of their "foreheads" they were odd. I wish I could figure out what those were.. I have never seen them ever again...

I also caught some weird BRIGHT blue fish in the same pond thing.. long and slender like a minnow.

Oh, and sorry we jacked the thread a little .... :(

19. I can't get pics of anybody... my camera sucks balls, lol...but that little fish I thought may be a bluegill or the like i'm almost positive is a smallmouth b$#@!...and apparently I accidently netted another smaller one with some water weeds I pulled up.

Cool I had a largemouth b$#@! once, he was a mean little bugger