Help! Blue Pit Bull W/Hair Loss, discoloration, flaking, etc.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

I adopted my dog Lira in February of this year and at the time, the shelter said she was about a year old. When I first got her, she had a thin dark stripe of hair down her back/spine which I thought was just part of her natural coloring. Since she's been home, the "stripe" has gotten worse and i've noticed that she is losing hair (see pictures below on her thigh) and the darker spots are spreading (there are a couple on back of her neck, side of her body, etc).

I took her to the vet a couple weeks after I adopted her to get her stitches out (from spay) and he said she was most likely suffering from allergies. He gave her antihistimines and said to come back in a couple weeks if it wasn't working and he would put her on something stronger.

I brought her back about a week and half ago and a different vet was there. He did a scrape of her skin to test for fungal and mange ( I haven't heard back). He also gave her a steroid shot to stop the itching and gave me steroid pills which I have been tapering off.

I feed her a mix of Natures' Variety Instinct - Duck Formula and TOTW - Pacific Stream. I just bought some salmon oil and have been putting some in her food. I just feel so bad for her and I don't want her looking this way!

Any help, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

photo | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

photo (1) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

photo (2) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Last edited by loveffany; 04-28-2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: photos didn't turn up

photos

Sorry, here are the photos:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	1491 
Size:	924.2 KB 
ID:	10202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	941.4 KB 
ID:	10203   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	1376 
Size:	945.1 KB 
ID:	10204  

thats a new one by me. im curious about the responses on this one.

Images
    have they done a blood panel?

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsMommy View Post
    have they done a blood panel?
    Hi, thanks for your quick responses! No, they have not done a blood panel. Just the skin scrape.

I didn't mention this before but she seems perfectly fine: energetic, eating fine, drinking plenty of water, exercising, and going to the bathroom normally.

Thanks!

Images
    ask em to run a blood panel if the scrape comes back negative make sure she doesn't have anything going on internally.

ask em to run a blood panel if the scrape comes back negative make sure she doesn't have anything going on internally.
    Thanks for the advice, what does the blood panel show?

Images
    hope this helps :)
    http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/BLOO...-EXPLAINED.HTM

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

this is something i was thinking BUT i am not a vet or trained as a vet so this is NOT a diagnosis by any means but maybe something to ask about (and a blood test can confirm or disprove this but maybe cushings?

http://www.vetinfo.com/dcushing.html

TRIM YOUR DOGS NAILS BEFORE I BRING IT UP Land, right next to MD
    Images
    orgainic (internal) neem oil and mix it with organic cold pressed coconut oil.. rub on skin every day... then when gets better do it 3times a week..

---------- Post added at 03:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 AM ----------

hope this helps :)
    http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/BLOO...-EXPLAINED.HTM

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

this is something i was thinking BUT i am not a vet or trained as a vet so this is NOT a diagnosis by any means but maybe something to ask about (and a blood test can confirm or disprove this but maybe cushings?

http://www.vetinfo.com/dcushing.html
    with cushings the dogs seem to have more issues... like tired, weakness, goin to athroom alot more... not wanting to eat as much or havin sudden hunger .... I ONLY KNOW BECAUSE MY FRIEND IS DEALIN WITH THIS ON HER MINPIN AT THIS VERY TIME!!!

please keep us UTD! i hope it gets better for you.(ps. skin scrapings dont really mean toomuch .... ive seen it time and time again where the scrape came back neg and it was really positive)

ID ALSO TYR REVOLUTION flea/tick!!!!!!! it will def help!

Images
    any updates? hope she is making progress and feeling better.

There is no way for us to know what your dog is allergic to.
    Only way to find out is to have him allergy tested. I HIGHLY recommend it.
    Yes, skin issues are very common amongst this breed.
    What food are you feeding? That plays a big role in skin issues quite frequently.
    Also, don't bathe him so often.
    Add an oil supplement to his diet, such as salmon oil, cod liver oil, flax seed oil, and Vitamin E, and raw egg.

This threads 2 years old

wtf is with people digging threads up lately?

13. Quote Originally Posted by brindlexpitt View Post
    This threads 2 years old

wtf is with people digging threads up lately?
    LOL no $#@!! Not to mention the only thing wrong with that dog was it was a merle lol