Dogs humping girls (human) at 'that time of month'?

So a friend of mine works at a kennel and she just told me that her boss recently told her that she needs to stay away from dominant aggressive male dogs while shes on 'that time of the month'.

The reason being? Apparently one of their female employees went into a run with a male great dane who started humping her, knocking her to the floor and trapping her in the run while humping her. She needed to have people come help her to get out of the run. I guess they attributed the dogs behavior to the girl being on her period.

My question is do dogs actually do such things? Would a male dog be more likely to hump a woman on her period as opposed to one who isnt?

I've personally never had a dog hump me when it was that time that didn't try it at other times, too. I learned to be a bit more confident when dealing with dogs and haven't had a dog try it in years. Either my skills improved or I'm just not hawt anymore...

Humping is a dominance thing and it sounds like the shelter manager is a moron and the female employee who got humped needs to be a more confident and $#@!ertive caregiver.

Images
    It can happen I guess, but it has never happened to me and some dogs get overly excited.

I have never heard someone say that they should stay away from dominant aggressive dogs when you are on that time of the month. :confused: I walk the dogs at my shelter, so it has never occured to me to think that way. People are weird. :rolleyes:

and I agree with this.
    Humping is a dominance thing and it sounds like the shelter manager is a moron and the female employee who got humped needs to be a more confident and $#@!ertive caregiver.

Quote Originally Posted by MJJean View Post
    Either my skills improved or I'm just not hawt anymore...
    Well if it wasnt skills at least you had it at one time! I worked in a kennel/groomer myself for a year and Ive NEVER had a dog try to hump me. EVER. And Ive delt with all sorts of crazy dogs.

But you basically said the same thing my friend and I were thinking. Its a dominance issue. The only thing I could come up with was that maybe that particular girl gets more timid at that time and the dog took advantage of her weakness. But it would still be a dominance issue. At least we know we wernt crazy when we laughed at that story lol

5. I almost laughed in his face when he was telling me this story...I'm the friend that works at the kennel.

I don't think dogs understand what our periods even are. We don't "go into heat" and we don't emit the same pheromones that a dog would recognize and respond too. They would smell it, because dogs have extremely well developed noses, but I don't think they think anything of it. Dogs are not conditioned anymore to get excited/hungry/etc by the scent of blood. And especially not human blood or the lining of our uterus'.

Honestly, I would file a sexual harassment claim. I KNOW this is going to sound gross, but I've heard of things like this where a male boss will tell his female employers to do x or avoid x while they're on their periods JUST so he'll know when it's that time of the month. And quite frankly, that is none of his business, regardless of the reasoning.

hell. if that was true, male animals got their $#@! all backwards. ive even had to slap a miniature horse off me once. (yes, very embarrassing.) and no time was i on that time of the month.

I know it sounds weird, but before my previous dog Charlee got neutered, he only tried doing that when it was "that time of the month". I didn't have a problem with it once he was neutered.

A friend of mine's large male lab used to get her every time she was getting out of the shower. If she didn't shut her bedroom door, when she would flip her head down to wrap her hair in a towel, the dog would grab her head and try and hump it. It was terrible, but made me laugh!

haha I've heard minis have quite the personality!

The way my thoughts are is that a dog wouldn't see it as anything different than say a nice cut on our arm. Its just blood to them reguardless of where its from. Just like you don't see guys going crazy every time a female dog is in heat (OK well you never know with the human race now-a-days...)

Quote Originally Posted by Harleys Momma View Post
    Well if it wasnt skills at least you had it at one time! I worked in a kennel/groomer myself for a year and Ive NEVER had a dog try to hump me. EVER. And Ive delt with all sorts of crazy dogs.

But you basically said the same thing my friend and I were thinking. Its a dominance issue. The only thing I could come up with was that maybe that particular girl gets more timid at that time and the dog took advantage of her weakness. But it would still be a dominance issue. At least we know we wernt crazy when we laughed at that story lol
    I'd totally buy the woman in question may be feeling off during her time and the dog took advantage to try to gain the upper hand. Crampy, tired,bloated, feeling emotional, worried your feminine product will fail... I can see a dog picking up on the general mood and trying to be dominant.

I've never had a dog do that either. Male dogs are generally more interested in sniffing $#@!es when a woman is on her period, I have found. It is dog nature, they can smell way better than humans and thus want/need to investigate.

I have heard the saying before, if you're on your period DO not deal with a dominant, agressive male cause they can try and punk you. I know that dealing with Stud colts and stud horses, I won't when I'm on my period unless I know the stud well...they have been known to get nasty(bite, strike etc.) at women when they are on their periods. (Some of it may be bad behavior from the beginning, cause I deal with a stud that would never do anything like that.)

I personally, wouldn't worry about it unless the animal has a history of being agressive towards women in general or being agressive with women who have been on their periods.

Images
    I've heard people say that before.. MY personal thoughts on why an aggressive/dominant dog, be it male or female, would act out and bully your on your period is you smell like blood, and they might take that to mean you're injured? And they then try to $#@!ert themselves over you like they would another weak or injured dog.

That is simply my opinion.. I noticed my old bulldog bitch would become very pushy when I was on my period, I mean downright jack$#@! mode.. She was a very dominant dog and did her best to get around my rules anyway, but that time of the month... I thought about flushing her down the toilet sometimes And she was the same dog who would go after other animals at the slightest sign of weakness.
    The same when I dealt with my friend's very dominant male Husky/ABD... He was very rough and testy.

But yeah.. Human women don't put off the pheromones that a dog in heat would.. It's just old blood and whatnot. I think the boss needs an education.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleys Momma View Post
    haha I've heard minis have quite the personality!

The way my thoughts are is that a dog wouldn't see it as anything different than say a nice cut on our arm. Its just blood to them reguardless of where its from. Just like you don't see guys going crazy every time a female dog is in heat (OK well you never know with the human race now-a-days...)
    He was just an untrained son of a b.. The second I started walking, he jumped me. Everyone was laughing too hard to help me. $#@!holes. Haha