Job interview at a boarding kennel. Advice?

I have a job interview at a kennel tomorrow morning and I am just looking for some general advice from you doggie folks. I am already not to good at interviews because I get really nervous (in my book anyway), but I would really love to get this job!

How would you think one should dress for an interview like this? What types of questions besides experience and work history info do you think they might ask and how should I go about answering them? Dogs are such a touchy subject!

I don't actually have any work experience with dogs or animals besides my with my own and training/watching other peoples pets (mostly friends/family). However what I think made them interested in me was my work history, customer service skills and the fact that I wrote out a cover letter stating dogs were my main interest and how I want to work with K9s and start showing, do a lot of reading/discussion on them etc.

Anyway any general for this would be awesome! Thanks for reading guys!

I have a friend who just got a job at a kennel/groomer and she has no prior job experience with dogs/animals. She made a point to mention how she works with her own dogs and friends dogs, many different personalities of dogs (DA dogs, being my 2, a fear aggressive one, an anxious one etc) and they really liked that she had experience even if it was just 'at home'. I think knowing the proper terms proved she was probably accurate about handling such dogs. She said the owner made a specific point to say that she liked that my friend had experience with different types of dogs and thats probably what got her the job over the other people they interviewed.

So just sharing some of your knowledge of dogs to show that just because you havent had a job in an animal related place doesnt mean you dont know how to handle them.

Images
    Relax (I know, easier said than done) :)

Recommended dress code would be buisness casual for this type of position. Nice slacks, pressed shirt - everything crisp and clean. Watch the details (polished shoes, neat nails, etc.). No perfume or aftershave (sorry, don't know if you're female or male). If you're female, light on the make-up.

How much do you now about the kennel? Potential employers are very impressed, if you have some knowledge about the history of their business?

Do you have a resume ready as well (one that is carefully spell checked)?

List of references handy?

It sounds to me like you will be selling yourself (that's what an interview basically is) on intangibles: customer service, love of dogs, etc.

I am a former recruiter, so fire away with questions, if you have more :)

Images
    I would dress casual. Just be yourself and stay calm, don't let them see you are nervous. :) Have you done any volunteering at shelters working with dogs or anything? If so, you can mention that. :)

I don't know if you need a Resume, but it always looks good and it's good to have. :) Best of luck! They will be lucky to have you! I am a kennel attendant at my local animal shelter and I love it.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Madeleinemom View Post
    Relax (I know, easier said than done) :)

Recommended dress code would be buisness casual for this type of position. Nice slacks, pressed shirt - everything crisp and clean. Watch the details (polished shoes, neat nails, etc.). No perfume or aftershave (sorry, don't know if you're female or male). If you're female, light on the make-up.

How much do you now about the kennel? Potential employers are very impressed, if you have some knowledge about the history of their business?

Do you have a resume ready as well (one that is carefully spell checked)?

List of references handy?

It sounds to me like you will be selling yourself (that's what an interview basically is) on intangibles: customer service, love of dogs, etc.

I am a former recruiter, so fire away with questions, if you have more :)
    This is good advice.