Look at what my husband brought home

We have a 55 gallon tank set up now, and look at what my husband got for it. I know this little guy will eventually need a larger tank, and we plan to get one. Right now it is this guy, 5 Australian Rainbowfish, and 2 Emerald Rainbowfish in the tank. I think we're gonna get another one, too. If anyone has any ideas as to the color type and gender of our new little severum, let me know, but I think it may be a bit young to tell yet. It's about 3ish inches right now. I do know it's a severum, though :p Without further adu, our new severum:

:eek: They are cute.

haha, thanks! I think we are gonna get another one or two. I like this little guy quite a bit.

Images
    Awesome!

Very cool.

This is the fish I'd love to have someday:

So sweet! :)

Thanks all!! We went to the store where he was bought to look around, and he is a rotkeil severum, the top of his head should turn reddish as he ages (still don't know for sure on the gender, but we THINK it's a male) I think this weekend we are going to go get either another rotkeil or a gold severum to go with it. I would like a gold with red stripes, but I am not paying $50 for a fish, at least right now, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHandJean View Post
    Very cool.

This is the fish I'd love to have someday:
    OOOHHHH.....I like the black ghost kives a lot, too, but they get huge (like larger than 20") need a huge tank, and aren't very good tank mates with many things as they have an electric charge, and can shock other fish, and as they grow larger, they will eat any fish that will fit in their mouths. That is the main reason I won't get one, or at least any time soon, muahahaha, but man, are they cool!

When I was a kid, my friend Eric had one, and I loved it. :) I don't even know where to find one, nor do I know how to care for one, so, I haven't gotten one yet.

What store did you get it from?

We got it at Forest Lake Pets, you wouldn't think so looking at the name, or the outside of the building, but they are an awesome fish store, they have just about everything, lol

I will have to check it out. I love the World of Fish in Bloomington and Twin Cities Reptiles has some cool fish also. Forest Lake is not that far from me and I am going to be updating my 20 gallon soon so it is always nice to have another place to go.

Hey, if you're coming up to the Forest Lake area, let me know, I live just outside Forest Lake, in Columbus. Forest Lake Pets is an awesome store, look up their website, it's not that great of a site, but it shows some of what they have available. If they don't have what you're looking for, ask, they may be able to order it, that is what they told us, lol. I love Twin City Reptiles, I've been there sooooo much over the years to get things for the exotic animals I've had.

I love Twin Cities Reptiles also. But you should check out that World of Fish. The building looks small but they are huge inside.

I will let you know if I will go to Forest Lake. I do not believe it is that far from Hudson.

We're about 30-45 minutes or so from Hudson, so not too bad. I like to go over to Stillwater to walk around in the summer, there are so many cute little shops out that way, but it's not too bad of a drive. I typically take Manning Trail out there, its a pretty drive! I've been trying to get down to A World of Fish, but its a bit of a drive, and I don't hardly ever venture to that area of the cities, lol. We're planning to go there one of these days to see if they are any cheaper for the gold red striped severums, because they are so pretty, but I'm not spending $40 or so on a fish, lol.

If you are ever in Stillwater let me know. My husband works in Stillwater so I am there all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieC View Post
    Thanks all!! We went to the store where he was bought to look around, and he is a rotkeil severum, the top of his head should turn reddish as he ages (still don't know for sure on the gender, but we THINK it's a male) I think this weekend we are going to go get either another rotkeil or a gold severum to go with it. I would like a gold with red stripes, but I am not paying $50 for a fish, at least right now, lol.

OOOHHHH.....I like the black ghost kives a lot, too, but they get huge (like larger than 20") need a huge tank, and aren't very good tank mates with many things as they have an electric charge, and can shock other fish, and as they grow larger, they will eat any fish that will fit in their mouths. That is the main reason I won't get one, or at least any time soon, muahahaha, but man, are they cool!
    I think it needs to grow a little so you can tell for sure if its male or not..

I had a little green one but he died, You can keep a pair in a 55 no problem, but idk about how stocked your tank is so your probably right about needing a bigger one. They are pretty chill and mellow fish, they pretty much ignore all the other ones, unlike most other cichlids :)
    As for the black knife fish, there are brown knife fish which stay like 8inches, and swim like all the other knife fish, when I find one here in AZ I am going to get it for my tank :)