Thread: Benadryl

Benadryl

So one of my dogs Kilie needs her nails clipped fairly badly and ive given her 1 25mg liquid tab to act as a tranquilizer.. My question is thus far (20 minutes in) it has not really phased her, is it safe to give another tab to make it 50mg in her system to help calm her enough to clip her nails?

I have not had to do this before with any dogs ive owned in the past including my other dog Myles however no matter what ive tried, i start to clip a nail its over. Shes 44lbs last check up at vet and right at 1 yrs old.

Thanks for any input!

Not vet said that benadryl DOES NOT sedate dogs. Ask your vet...

Images
    Do they EVER get used to getting their nails clipped?

Everything else he is very calm about and EVEN after he sees me approach with the clippers he is calm but when we actually begin to clip.... he moves!!! (as I'm getting familiar and used to this task myself). I am still a bit unsure of what I'm doing, but when he moved one toe, it cut a little too far.

I use lavendar and tea tree oil essential oil to keep mosquitos off him at night, but lavendar is also good for calming, I might spray him with his spray before I cut his nails next time. I hope it helps.

Benadryl is 1mg/lb, but dogs generally have higher metabolisms and since benadryl is relatively safe, you could give a 44lb dog 2 25mg tabs. That said, benadryl usually isn't strong enough to use as a grooming sedative for most dogs.
    Perhaps have a professional do it? Sometimes just getting it done quickly, with more restraint, is the solution. Is it the clippers or the restraint? Sometimes having someone else gently hold your dog while you clip can help if it's a restraint issue. If it's really that bad, acepromazine can be used as a sedative, however, it has more potential risks and side effects.

Images
    My vet would disagree with LilianaBug (not trying to start an argument)

Check with your VET!

I was told I could give bendryl to my 60lb dog for her allergies.

The max daily amount was 25mg/1 tablet.

For the record, I'm not a fan of drugs so I don't give it to her. Tough love, I have allergies too and don't take anything. (It's not that bad for either of us). Also, my dog is a huge pansy and afraid of everything, including getting her nails clipped. We clipped them the other day, she just had to deal with it, and we survived. In other words, we DO agree with LilianaBug :)
    Last edited by AdMae; 03-24-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: add on

Quote Originally Posted by AdMae View Post

Check with your VET!

For the record, I'm not a fan of drugs so I don't give it to her. Tough love, I have allergies too and don't take anything. (It's not that bad for either of us). Also, my dog is a huge pansy and afraid of everything, including getting her nails clipped. We clipped them the other day, she just had to deal with it, and we survived. In other words, we DO agree with LilianaBug :)
    I have never heard of a dosage that low for Benadryl, my vet gave me the same dosage Liliana gave, 1mg/lb.

However, I agree that unless your dog is sensitive to it, it's probably not going to knock them out enough for them to let you trim their nails (if they're that bad).

Images
    Chiming in here: our vet also advised to use 1mg per 1lb of body weight; he also stated to use the Ultratabs, not the liquid version(s).

8. I give it to Mater when it storms he is right at 95 lbs he gets 3 1/2 25mg pills on a little peanut butter sandwich, it does not knock him out but it does take the edge off and calms him a little....The dose is 1mg per pound of body weight

I give Circe 22lbs, 1 25 mg Benadryl 2x a day for FAD. I've always given as close to 1 mg/lb as possible with my vet's advise.

But I've never noticed a real sedative effect when giving Benadryl to me or my dogs.

Images
    Whoa, I come off cranky, huh (sorry)? I was just making sure he read it before giving it...

The important thing is to check with your vet.

Maybe my dose is low because she knows I give my dog dramamine once in a while for car sickness, maybe she knows my dog is timid and it would affect her negatively...

Quote Originally Posted by AdMae View Post

Check with your VET!

1st- that's not my username ;).
    2nd- the recommended dose for benadryl is 1mg/lb. I'm not a vet, but I have been in the field for 4 years. The OP, I believe, is smart enough to realize that this is the internet and if he has any questions he should ask his vet.

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

Oh, also wanted to add that you should make sure to get JUST diphenhydramine, make sure it's not sinus or anything added like sinus or cold meds.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LilianaLove View Post
    1st- that's not my username ;).
    2nd- the recommended dose for benadryl is 1mg/lb. I'm not a vet, but I have been in the field for 4 years. The OP, I believe, is smart enough to realize that this is the internet and if he has any questions he should ask his vet.

Sorry, my bad. I don't where bug came from. I also got the benadryl and dramamine confused. It's the dramamine that's not to top 25mg/day. I vow no longer to post information before drinking coffee. My tail is between my legs and I'm walking away.

Benedryl is never a sure way to sedate your dog. 1st of all benedryl can have 1 of 2 affects. It will either cause your dog to become drowsy or it will make them really hyper. Sometimes it has no effect at all.

I would advise against sedation when it comes to nail trims, instead I would try making the dog comfortable wih the idea of nail trims. It will take a lot of time and patience but it can be done. Now we can do Sashas nails if need be but we get them done professionally now. When I got pregnant she started gettng them done by a groomer and we just kept doing it, its easier for her and us. Its only 10 dollars and dogs like kids tend to behave better for other people. Sasha keeps her nails worn down so we only have to get them done every 10 to 12 weeks if that.

We have a dog that is completely rediculas when it comes to trimming his nails... he thinks we are killing him and freaks out bad.
    We had the vets trim them one time for us and all they did was held him down in a choke hold where he could barely breath (that was really the only way :( ) and trimmed them as quickly as possible.
    They sent us home with Ace (that Liliana mentioned).... we gave that to him once and he was very loopy from it.

We decided to not take him to the vet. and to not use the ace. We now wait til he's sleeping late at night... I give him kisses and my husband trims one nail. ..... Yes, one nail a night is all we get lol.

15. I have to give Maggie Benadryl all the time because she's allergic to gr$#@!. It doesn't sedate her at all. Have you tried melatonin? My vet recommended it for thunderstorms. I give Maggie (55lbs) a 3 mg tablet. It definitely calms her down.

You can also try training!!!!
    Before you need to clip nails is the time to start. I will try and find a video. But touching feet and giving treats is a start.
    And never let a pile of people gang up on top of your dog for nails, it just freaks em out.
    I'm a groomer and I get sent tons of dogs no one else can do. It takes training and patience. Dogs that are used to freaking out will still try it the first time with me. Some dogs will try to bite the clippers, dremmel, or me so a muzzle can be used. But you can't muzzle a dog then take unfair advantage of it.
    So I go...

Meet dog, send people out to car or out for coffee.
    Dog go's up on the grooming table.
    I talk nice to him, try and see what he can deal with. Can I touch his feet? Can I do the back nails? Most dogs are better with the back feet.
    Most "bad" dogs who have won fights will now try screaming or biting. Then I slip a muzzle on. The kind where he can open his mouth, drool, scream but not bite me.
    I start again with back feet. If he freaks I hang on to the foot and tell him "no" and talk him down a bit. Then do one nail, praise when he's good, verbally correct when he fights.
    Most dogs when they see that fighting and drama are not working will get a *bit worse* then stop.
    After the nails are done I brush the dog with a soft bristle brush and praise. They get lifted off the table, a drink of water and a treat.
    Most dogs still don't like it but start to understand that I'm fair.
    I have a background in dog training, most groomers do not.
    Last edited by MsAcer; 03-24-2011 at 07:23 PM.