Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question skin allergies and blue pits

my blue pit is getting bald spots , hes diggin and makin it worse ,anything i can get to cure this?:eek:

First step should be take him to the vet and do a skin scrape to rule out both types of mange. Demodex is pretty common in these breeds and is related to an immune disorder. No cure, but treatable.
    If it's allergies, you'll have to find out what he's allergic to in order to fix it.

Where are the bald spots on his body? If they are at the base of his tail, it's likely a food allergy. What are you feeding?

Spots At Base Of Tail Also Sides Of Face And Sides At Top Of Rear Legs , Hes Scratching Alot All Over He Eats Diamond Brand Dog Food

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesdad View Post
    Spots At Base Of Tail Also Sides Of Face And Sides At Top Of Rear Legs , Hes Scratching Alot All Over He Eats Diamond Brand Dog Food
    Sounds like mange to me, i could be wrong. My boy had it when he was a pup and we treated it and its come back again so were about to start a treatment. He also has food allergies as well as enviormental allergies. It seems like if we keep his food allergies under control the enviormental allergies arent so bad. We have to feed a grain free food, if we feed a frained food his eye lids get really pink along with the insides of his ears and between the toes. Get you pup to a vet for a skin scrape though.

6. I spotted your problem on the Shampoo thread and posted a response. In case you didn't see it...

For Bluesdad's question about bald spots - it sounds like allergies. Two solutions (home remedies) I've found are (1) try a Tea Tree oil (aka Melaleuca oil) spray if the dog is chewing/itching (you can also go to your local health food store and buy the pure oil...mix a few drops of oil in a spray bottle of water - shake well and spray) or (2) apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse. The ACV rinse is not generally known, so here is a link that will provide a little more information http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/acvfordogs.html. If neither of these help, then it looks like you are going to have to make that Vet appointment:(. By the way, that Tea Tree oil/water mix is also great at keeping fleas away when the season hits.
    Just remember these are home remedies and don't eliminate the need for Vet visits/tests.

I agree with going to the vet. This could easily be anything from mange to allergies, food or environmental.

thought about it and getting Bluedog to the vet , thanx to everybody for your help though

9. The vet! My boy tank kept eating his tail got a skin infection from being in a drity kennel ( WASN'T MINE! ) gave him steriods and betadine(sp?) to put on it.

Images
    I agree with the vet and mange......definitely 100%!
    How old is your dog? Under 2? Around 1?

How old was the pup taken from its mother?

Yep, it sounds like mange. My female had it when we got her and she had to have the RX ivermectin liquid form to get rid of it. You're doing the right thing by going to the vet to find out for sure what it is and then you can treat it appropriately.

13. So my blue nose pit is 4 months old.. i've had her almost 2 months now and she has some kind of skin allergy :confused: i've taken her to 2 diff vets and i'm not getting any answers!! we've gotten 2 skin scrapes to test for mange.. both times they came out negative. we've changed her food from natural choice to blue buffalo (chicken and potato) which is pretty expensive i might add. shes had hives and rashes and will itch all night! we've changed her shampoo as well.. the only thing that seems to help is a steroid she is on with an antibiotic. i don't remember the names of them (i'm not at home to look) but the vet told us that steroids will shorten dogs lives and she is already on her 2nd dose. I'm SO sick of giving her medicine and the amount of money we are spending is ridiculous but obviously she is more important to me than the money. i've been told it is some kind of contact allergy but they also told me it is almost impossible to find out exactly what the cause is. So where does that leave us?? i've tried to eliminate things and switch things to see what it could be but the only places we have her is in the apartment, in her cage, the dog park, the vet, or pet supermarket. i don't know what else to do and i don't want to lose her!! PLEASE help.. thanks, Ashley

Quote Originally Posted by adtxo3754 View Post
    So my blue nose pit is 4 months old.. i've had her almost 2 months now and she has some kind of skin allergy :confused: i've taken her to 2 diff vets and i'm not getting any answers!! we've gotten 2 skin scrapes to test for mange.. both times they came out negative. we've changed her food from natural choice to blue buffalo (chicken and potato) which is pretty expensive i might add. shes had hives and rashes and will itch all night! we've changed her shampoo as well.. the only thing that seems to help is a steroid she is on with an antibiotic. i don't remember the names of them (i'm not at home to look) but the vet told us that steroids will shorten dogs lives and she is already on her 2nd dose. I'm SO sick of giving her medicine and the amount of money we are spending is ridiculous but obviously she is more important to me than the money. i've been told it is some kind of contact allergy but they also told me it is almost impossible to find out exactly what the cause is. So where does that leave us?? i've tried to eliminate things and switch things to see what it could be but the only places we have her is in the apartment, in her cage, the dog park, the vet, or pet supermarket. i don't know what else to do and i don't want to lose her!! PLEASE help.. thanks, Ashley
    You'd be better off starting a new topic for your dog, btw.

But I would get her off the chicken based food, and onto something with a different meat protein and grain free, like something with venison, or fish. My blue tri color girl has skin allergies and a super sensitive stomach and does great on Natural Balance, the venison formula.

Oh - and please don't take her to the dog park.

My blue male was (and kinda still is) having that same problem. Bald spots around his eye and at the base of his legs (where they meet the paws),. I took him to the vet to rule out mange. Since that came back negative they suggested I try giving him one Benadryl a day (just the plain one) to see if that helps. It has helped some. He still has the spots but they are healing. We already have him on grain free food, so what I did was buy some Salmon Oil (or any old fish oil) from the local health food store and mix a little with his food. That has really helped with his coat, not to mention how fast he cleans that bowl!

Images
    I agree w/Kady05. Natural Balance would be a great choice because it is limited ingredients and then you can gradually figure out what he's allergic to. Many of the dogs seem to have grain and/or chicken allergies.

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Also, I believe it can take as much as 6 weeks for the allergies to clear up once you remove the allergen. So don't get discouraged.

17. why shouldn't i take her to the dog park? she has all of her shots and is where she has the most fun..

Images
    It just isn't wise to take this breed to dog parks because of the potential for trouble. Not matter who is at actually at fault the "pit bull" always gets the blame. You should open a seperate post on this subject or search for that topic--it's been covered several times.

Another thing to consider is using dye-free detergent when washing her bedding, etc. She might be alergic to the detergent???

What shampoo are you using?

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Her problem might even be fleas. Even if you don't see a single flea, a single bite is all it takes for some dogs. As soon as she is old enough I highly recommend Confortis for flea control. My sister's dog was itching herself to death and as soon as she started on Confortis her issues were gone.

19. If you've ruled out mange, food allergies, fleas, and allergies to household products, it could also be the type of gr$#@! you have? Does your yard have gr$#@!?

Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    Where are the bald spots on his body? If they are at the base of his tail, it's likely a food allergy. What are you feeding?
    what about a couple spots on top of the head only?:confused:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast