Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Poor Akon has Ich.. :(

Betty and Akon (He feels poopy)

Blurry of Betty, Akon, and a stupid Platy

My *NEW* >>NICE<< Pleco!

Betty looking for some little fish to eat!

Akon poor little guy is upset

Akon, Betty, and Pleco

Betty is now over 6 inches long!!! Due to eating 4 Platy.

She says "HI!" If you walk up she will lift up her head so she can see you better..

I cant remember what kind he is.. Not a common pleco..

Thats it for right now! Hopefully Akon gets better, you can just see how bad he feels right now :( None of the other fish are showing signs of it, all seem healthy.
    Got the tank on meds. and put a heater in to speed things up.
    I keep trying to get a picture of one of the surviving Platy that has a distinct mouth shaped scratch on her side, and a chunk of tail missing, but they move so fast!
    These remaining five are the smart ones I guess.
    For now.

Very nice pictures.

My three tetras are still holding on strong. I was hoping they would kick the bucket soon because I want to turn my tank into a brackish tank. Ugh.

Mail them to me, Betty will take care of them pretty quick lol

4. Are you treating for the ick?

It's a fungus, and it will release spores into the water, All your fish WILL get it if you don't.

Luckily, it's pretty easy to treat. They sell several different remedies at most pet stores.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

never mind. Didn't see the last of your post. lol

Yeah I'm trying to treat by betta for fin rot :( I need to get some aquarium salt but I just don't have the extra funds :(

6. yeah you should really setup a quarentine tank, and treat all fish, you can use a copper treatment in a QT tank, for about 6 weeks and that should take care of the ick on the fish, also as long as your tank goes fishless for about 6 weeks your tank should also be rid of ick.

Ick is easy to treat and get rid of, but it takes dedication

if the one with the ick outbreak isnt eating well you can try soaking their food in garlic to boost their appatite.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

btw turning the heater up to speed things up is only going to stress the fish more, and they will continue with the ick. ick is a stressed induced parasite.

Images
    I hope they get over the Ich quickly, it's no fun. What kind of pleco is he?

Quote Originally Posted by mstngchic2012 View Post
    Yeah I'm trying to treat by betta for fin rot :( I need to get some aquarium salt but I just don't have the extra funds :(
    If it's actually finrot, use an antibacterial like Melafix - I've had good luck treating finrot with low doses of Mela and daily WC's to keep the area pristine.

Thanks Poisoned!

Quote Originally Posted by green machine View Post
    yeah you should really setup a quarentine tank, and treat all fish, you can use a copper treatment in a QT tank, for about 6 weeks and that should take care of the ick on the fish, also as long as your tank goes fishless for about 6 weeks your tank should also be rid of ick.

Ick is easy to treat and get rid of, but it takes dedication

if the one with the ick outbreak isnt eating well you can try soaking their food in garlic to boost their appatite.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

btw turning the heater up to speed things up is only going to stress the fish more, and they will continue with the ick. ick is a stressed induced parasite.
    I dont have and extra tank for that, It wouldn't take 6 weeks anyway, the parasite dies if it can find a host within 24-72 hours.

Turning the heat up a little speeds the cycles of the parasite, thus it takes only about 5-7 days for the meds to kill all of it in the tank.
    I know it is stress induced, thats why Akon got it. He was the new freaked out fish that I just bought.

They are tropical fish and it being 80-83 isnt going to stress them. They seem to like it more and sit around the heater when it kicks on.

I have had fish all my life, I dont think I am going to kill them.
    :)

Thank you all though.

And now two Platy have marks on them from Betty trying to catch them at night lol These 5 are the fast ones, who stay awake all night and go and hide and sleep during the day :p

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned View Post
    I hope they get over the Ich quickly, it's no fun. What kind of pleco is he?

If it's actually finrot, use an antibacterial like Melafix - I've had good luck treating finrot with low doses of Mela and daily WC's to keep the area pristine.
    I forgot what the guy called him. Not just a regular one, he stays light colored and most of his spots connect so he is like squiggly striped. Something with a "H" or something. Next time I go in I am going to ask lol

They didnt even know what kind of pleco I had when I brought my old one in to trade. He was a weird gold one with random spots, and he was a mean little $#@!. I dont know where my Gma bought him at, she knows all kind of cool fish places.

10. i know freshwater ick isnt that different from saltwater ick(which is what i have experience in)

however it takes much longer than you think for ick to be gone, no longer visual maybe that long but you wont be rid of it.

the parasite lays eggs that take 2 weeks to hatch, the eggs arent affected by the treatement. just trying to offer help from experience. if you dont have an extra tank, a steril storage bin will work or even a 5g bucket, i have used at a qt tank.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

It depends on which part of the life cycle we are talking about.

As we know there are 4 stages in the Cryptocaryons life cycle

1- Trophont-this is the parasitic stage on the fish
    2- Protomont-this is where the parasite leaves the fish to encyst on the substrate to reproduce.
    3-Tomont- This is the reproductive and longest lived stage
    4-Theront- Free swimming looking for a host.

The trophonts will mature and leave the fish after 3-7 days
    The Protomont will encyst within 24 hours
    The Tomont can last up to 72 days(in rare cases). That is the reason ich is so difficult to remove from a system.
    The Theront will die within 24 hours without a host.

The life cycle can be as quick as 7 days, usually 24 days But can go as long as 72 days. 60 days without a fish will eradicate ich 99.9% of the time.

I have also read, that if no new strains of ich are added for 11 months, that the parasite will have run it's course and simply die.

I am not going to stick my fish from a perfectly good tank into a bucket, when I have never had a problem getting rid of ich for as long as I have had fish.

I know the cycles, which will go faster if the water is warmer, which it is right now.
    I usually treat for 5-7 days, longer if there are still signs and my fish dont seem right.

And so far 100% of the time it is gone and I will never have a problem from that tank again.
    I have no knowledge of ich in a saltwater aquarium, Ive only ever had fresh.

I know it takes a long time if you dont do it right the first time to get rid of it, I had to de-ich my friends house tank after she had tried a few times to get rid of it.

I am not trying to be a bitch or anything, I just know I can get rid of it. I am trying a new medication out because my Bichir is sensitive to regular kind of medication.
    This stuff is also a pro biotic so I can add a cap full every week and it helps my fish fight off anything, and heal better if they get into a fight or if Betty attacks them.

12. well ill bow out then, im speaking from experience and if you have had ick several times that meants you never got rid of it in the first place. A fish store will sell you any treatments but 99% of the time theres no better way than the natural way to rid of ich.

its not a perfectly good tank,if its got parasites.

but to each his own, i just figured you might want to practice good husbandry.

Not several times in the same tank. I have had damn near 50 tanks in my life.
    Ich happens on occasion when you get new fish who have it on them or in the tank they came from.

I am not saying I have had it numerous times in the on tank I just got right now.

And it will be a perfectly good tank when in about a week or so they are all gone :)

Dont question how I take care of my fish, because I do just fine. This tank I got could have had it in the gravel but more likely than not it came from my Green Severum that I just bought, seeing as he is the only one that is showing signs of it.

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

And the product I am using is all natural, and probiotic. :)

God forbid that this new med. doesnt work them I am going to use the salt method so I wont hurt my Bichir.

14. might want to invest in a qt tank in the future then. wouldnt it be better to never have it rather than have to get rid of it.

i no longer keep tanks anymore but always would quarentine any new addition to the tank for 2 months. most people cant do that because they cant wait that long. patience is a virtue lol

I had four tanks each 30 gal and one 175 gal but long story short my spiteful mother sold them and ALL of my fish to the neighbor.

So I am working on getting my collection back up. If I had those ones still I would have put the new fish in that one first and this mess wouldn't have happened.

I know it is, and normally if I had all my stuff thats the way it would have been.

This isnt a huge deal though, its just ich.. not some horrible incurable thing.

16. yeah ich was the least of my worries when i kept tanks, but i never had an issue i even quarentines and treated all coral rock fish, snails everything before they went into my display tank. but it was better safe than sorry when i had thousands and thousands in coral alone in the tank.

Yea, thats why if I decide to try salt I would get a small maybe 10gal.
    I am not trying to spend that much right now. I love them so much and the fish are so awesome but, geeze the work that goes into a large salt tank is crazy.

That and you have to be very careful with everything you do to them.

Sometime this year I might try it, but not right now. I like having fresh because I like the fish I have right now.
    If I can find a cheap tank on CL or something, that would be nice :)

*rambling*

18. yeah i got out of the hobby when we found out we were having our first child.

at the time i had a 60g cube, 175g bowfront (replacement downgrade from my 210g), 54g corner tank, and a 24g aquapod i kept very few fish, mainly sps corals (hard corals)

i spent about an hour a day on the tanks and at least 3-4 hrs a weekend on them, thats less time than i spend working dogs. but the dogs are way cheaper to keep than the tanks thats for sure.

Yea at the end of the year I think I want to try and sell my condo and buy a small house, so I can get this awesome tank thats like 3000$
    I dont even remember how many gallons it is, but its about 8ft tall and 4ft wide.
    It is absolutely HUGE.
    An I could put some amazing fish in it!

I dont have any kids right now and dont plan on having any for a few more years, if even that soon.

I spend about 20mins every day just sitting and observing my fish and making sure they seem okay, right now the surviving Platy are doing well but its a matter of time until my Betty gets them.
    I just love having tanks and fish.

Hell just animals in general.

I should have bought two Severum when I got the one so I could have a pair.. Oh well.
    I just hope my little guy feels better soon.

I just cant wait until I get an actual house so I can go ape $#@! with my tanks again.

20. i can promise you this, if you get into saltwater tanks i highly doubt you would go back to freshwater. lol theres just such a difference in them. I started in the hobby with a fresh water tank, and ever sense i started with saltwater, ill never have a fresh water tank. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast