Images

weird "bump" at spay incision??

Not sure if it's something we should ask our vet about, but our puppy got spayed a week ago today, and sort of next to the incision on her tummy, there's a "lump", that's kind of hard?? It almost looks like the vet rolled a little extra skin into the incision before putting in the internal stitches. It isn't red, or irritated at all, and the incision is healing very well, and she doesn't act like it bothers her in the slightest when we poke at it, just curious if anyone else had noticed this with their dogs? Is it something you think we should worry about, or just wait and see if it goes away, as long as it doesn't look infected or anything?

Can you post a picture? It could be the knot of the internal sutures.

3. Quote Originally Posted by LilianaLove View Post
    Can you post a picture? It could be the knot of the internal sutures.
    I just had my puppy spayed yesterday and was concerned about the raised area where her incision was. This ^^ was what they told me that it was.

Lily's internal stitches actually rejected. My vet checked the bumps out and ascertained it wasn't a hernia or anything scary (they didn't do the surgery, the shelter's vet did) and a few weeks later it came to a head and out came this half dicscintegrated knot of suture material. It was so weird. Her spay incision was already healed of course and the external sutures had been removed.

Images
    I'm at work now, but will post a picture when I'm home later tonight...where it is, right next to the incision, almost along it, it sounds like it very well may be just the internal sutures...didn't know they could possibly make a "bump" like that...lol

I would check with your vet if you are concerned. They will be able to tell you if you need to worry or not. My vet never charges me for aftercare or questions though.

Images
    It could be the internal sutures, it could be a reaction to the internal sutures, it could be a seroma.

I just got my 3 month old puppy spayed a week ago a a low cost animal clinic, i got my other dog neutered there about a year ago and his healed fine but now my female has a hard lump under her incision, not beside it. and since its not my normal vet i dont know if they will look at her since all they do in spay/neuter surgeries.

Images
    It could just be her body's reaction to the sutures. Some dogs will not tolerate the sutures as well as others, and they will get some granulation just under the incision. I would keep an eye on it, if it turns red or you see discharge coming out, or even if it is warm to the touch, then I would get it checked out. Those could be signs of infection. Of course, the best thing to do regardless is have your vet take a look as we are not veterinarians and can not diagnose your dogs problem, especially over the internet.

Images
    wow...holy old thread...lol

Karma's fine, she's just turned a year old now. :) Seems like it was just a little "fold" of skin from where the put her incision back together to close it. Went away after a couple days.

Ashley, if it goes away in a couple of days, and doesn't start to look "angry" or anything, it's probably just from the incision or stitches. If it starts to look "angry" or infected, take her into your vet.

Images
    lol... Glad she turned out ok and is growing up to be a fine girl. I was going to suggest it could be car tissue from the spay. Bella had it for over 6 months before it finally went away. Now, you can't even tell where her incision was. :)