Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. What Dog Food is the Best?

I have usually fed my dogs Purina from puppy to adult, but I'm a little concerned about it now after having done some research. I am curious what you guys feed your dogs. Sway is the first dog I've really spent a significant amount of money on and its made me kind of paranoid! Which is probably good. I could afford to cook them meals BUT it would stretch my budget more than I'd like. What's a good dry food? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks! :)

Images
    I feed Wellness Core to my 18 month dog and Wellness Puppy to my 8 month old dog. I know many people on here feed Merrick and EVO but beware EVO is NOT for puppys and could cause serious damage. Here are the best brands of dry kibble not in any particular order.

Also check this link out for ratings on dry foods. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

Merrick
    Innova
    EVO - grainless - very high protein
    Wellness Core (grainless) - high protein
    Cannidae
    Chicken Soup

There are some good threads on here maybe another member could locate for you.

Wellness Super5 (Core isn't their only good food)
    Natures Variety
    Fromm
    Go! Natural
    are also great foods, Chicken Soup is made by Diamond, I wouldn't touch anything made by them with a 10' pole, they have had WAY too many recalls (not even including the last major one) for me to consider safe.

Images
    I agree, all Wellness brands are great! I should have specified, thx Luvapit!

Quote Originally Posted by luvapit View Post
    Wellness Super5 (Core isn't their only good food)
    Natures Variety
    Fromm
    Go! Natural
    are also great foods, Chicken Soup is made by Diamond, I wouldn't touch anything made by them with a 10' pole, they have had WAY too many recalls (not even including the last major one) for me to consider safe.

I feed nature's variety. It is also an all stages food so you can feed it to puppies and adult without worrying about buying two different foods.

Images
    The very best thing you can feed is a raw diet, but not everyone has the time for it, and not every dog will eat it. 1 out of my 3 will not touch anything raw.

Kibble wise, the brands Johnny Oops & Luvapit listed are good ones. Though, I used to feed Wellness and swore by it, but stopped when they changed the formula in 2005. My dogs didn't like the new formula, so I didn't force them to eat it.

I feed Innova and am loving it. I also use the kibble for training treats.:)

Also, I add in various vegetables/fruit, and a some raw/cooked meats/eggs/etc. I always make sure to feed raw stuff separate from kibble/cooked because of the different rates of digestion. And a few times a week I'll put in a tablespoon of olive oil with the kibble.

But with a puppy I thinks its best to just stick with straight kibble (unless of course you go totally raw). Just because the kibble is balanced and you don't want to get too much or too little of whatever.:)

I will probably switch to Evo when I am able to afford the price jump. Big fan of these Natura products. Never tried the Innova Puppy food, but I've heard good things about it.

Also think Nature's Variety, Wellness, Merrick, and Canidae are good stuff.

8. Quote Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
    I feed Innova and am loving it. I also use the kibble for training treats.:)

I will probably switch to Evo when I am able to afford the price jump. Big fan of these Natura products. Never tried the Innova Puppy food, but I've heard good things about it.

Also think Nature's Variety, Wellness, Merrick, and Canidae are good stuff.
    Where do you get this stuff? Maybe I just haven't seen it cuz I"m not looking for it, but I don't recall seeing it at Petsmart/Petco. Zamzows maybe? I hardly ever go there.

Try looking at smaller pet stores or feed stores. Also remeber you can always order food online.

That is awesome that chicken soup is a good one, because I found a tack store round here that sells it, but I wasn't sure, now, hopefully we can get Apollo off that diamond crap, of course he will go right back on it if he doesn't do well on Chicken soup. NVM, got excited before I read luvapits post, guess he stays on diamond.

Images
    Petsmart doesn't sell it by me. Your local pet feeds will carry most of these brands.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBullyBabe View Post
    Where do you get this stuff? Maybe I just haven't seen it cuz I"m not looking for it, but I don't recall seeing it at Petsmart/Petco. Zamzows maybe? I hardly ever go there.

You can go to any of their websites and look under the dealer locater.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBullyBabe View Post
    Go to www.naturapet.com (they make Innova/Evo/etc.) and use the Where To Buy tab. If you just input your zip code it will show all the places that carry it. There are actually quite a few places throughout the Treasure Valley and most of them carry the other foods as well.

The cheapest place I've found so far is Farm & City Animal Supply out here in Nampa (kinda by the Idaho Center). Their big bags of Evo are just over $50 (which is really cheap for Evo!) and the Innova is like $45.

Jackies pet and livestock supply in Middleton has an excellent selection of canned, dry food, and frozen raw. My friend buys her dog's food there... its worth going in for all the dog gear they've got to look at.

H3 Pet Foods in Meridian has all the good stuff. The shelter I got Lily from actually contracts with them for food. Yay for educated shelter staff!
    The Boise Co-op also carries some (the one I remember them having is Canidae) of the better dog foods and those are listed on their website if you wanna check them out.:)

I also know a GSD breeder who is a licensed broker of Canidae. She brings bags of food to people at Schutzhund club who want to buy from her. Her website is www.zederkamme.com.

I feed Roscoe Wellness Super5. I buy it from the local pet shop or on petfooddirect.com. None of the chains sell it around here.

15. I've got 4 dogs, and was scared to death during the recall. When I buy food it's by multiple cases and multiple 40 lbs bags. I lucked out by switching from Natural Balance and Nature's Receipe (both ending up on the recall list) to Evangers and Canidae - both the result of my feed store's manager suggestion. I only had to throw out one case of Nature's Receipe.

During the 'scare' I found 2 valuable web sites that are still up and current.

The first a site (Dog Food Analysis) evaluating and rating dog food (dry and wet):
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

The second a blog (The Pet Food List) on what is not on the recall lists:
    http://thepetfoodlist.com/forums/ind...11d06a72cfbae&

Canidae is a premium food made in CA - I feed the dry which (for me) is still available in 40 lbs bags and cost approx $10 less than Max and other premium dry foods.

Evanger's is made in IL. I feed their canned food. Their label isn't 'flashy' and can be easily overlooked - and you most likely won't find it in the chain stores. Their can price (for me on the other side of the country) is less than half the price of Max and other premium canned foods (e.g. $.75-.95 versus $1.25-$1.50). They process their own food (don't subcontract), and didn't hit any recall list. For those of you who are 'raw' folks - several of their canned selections are 100% meat with sufficient water for processing. That's it - no fillers and no additives. A word of caution here - you can't feed only pure meat to your dogs - they need additional vitamins, etc. For these supplements I rely on my dry food (Canidae) and a supplement - Missing Link (which I think is a miracle supplement - but that's a different topic :)).

Hope the links provide some useful info (if nothing else it's fun to see where your food is rated on the 'analysis' site) - Canidae dry rates a 5 star and Evanger's canned rates a 6 star rating. Also don't forget to check out Feed stores in addition to Pets Mart, Petco, etc. If you don't live in the 'sticks' then there is usually a horse stable near you which means a feed store you can buy or order from....then there is always Internet.

16. Aww geez - nothing's safe :(. After posting the previous message I went to the blog site I gave you the link to (The Pet Food List), and checked out the new recalls. Lo and behold, Evanger's has got problems.

I heard from a 'Chicken Soup' rep that several of the other pet companies were switching their food processing to Evanger's since the recall - it looks like all the extra business has had it's impacts on the company. Now Evanger's has potential problems with Clostridium botulinum (C. botulinum) - botulism.

I give up! :mad:

Images
    Mine likes Innova and Merrick (Wilderness flavor). I also rawfeed (Usually center cut sirloin soup bone cut-make sure you push out the bone marrow to stop diarhea) as his daily snack.

Images
    We have a now 5 mo old that we have tried several different kinds of food to see which one works well for him and also has the nutrients that he needs. Science Diet has been working well, he is keeping it down/in and likes it. :)

19. You can also try Missing Link

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast