Charcoal Briquettes

I know someone asked about charcoal briquettes and their dog, but I thought I would elaborate a little more on charcoal briquettes especially since we had our own run-in this weekend.

We dumped used (non-Matchlight) charcoal briquettes over our backyard fence into our compost pile on Saturday night. Little did we know that a few briquettes had decided to linger up against the fence near a small 1-1/2" gap at the bottom (gap due to erosion.) Gidget decided that the briquettes would make an awesome snack. It was dark outside when we let them out, and when we noticed her a little too interested in something, we called her inside and did a finger sweep of her mouth (charcoal.)

Not knowing how she ate it, we figured it was just some ash or little crumbles from the briquettes now in our compost pile.

Much to my surprise on Sunday morning, I found that Gidget had defecated ("pooped") in our dining room. This was NOT like our dogs, and neither was the fact that her poop was, indeed, CHARCOAL. Not black as in occult blood but black and crumbly as if she had passed charcoal. DID SHE EVER.

As an hour or so passed, Gidget vomited in our kitchen: two large piles of black vomit. We took her outside, and she just stood there. She drank a little water, went down into the yard and vomited two more times. We called our Vet's office who asked if it was "Matchlight," and then said to keep an eye on her, but they use charcoal to induce vomiting in poisoning cases so expect her to vomit a few more times - "yay." She did. Twice outside actually.

Poor Gidget just stretched out and laid on the carpet on the living room floor. A few hours passed, and she was a-okay. In case you want your question answered, "will my dog be okay?" A HEALTHY dog should be okay in a matter of hours, but depending on how much charcoal they ate will determine how much vomiting to expect.

However, our Veterinarian noted that Matchlight (or any other charcoal with the lighter fluid "baked" into the briquettes) IS dangerous to your dog (and I imagine dogs not as healthy as Gidget...regular briquettes would cause some problems.) If your dog eats Matchlight, etc. briquettes, contact your Veterinarian IMMEDIATELY. Do NOT "wait it out."

It's more so the lighter fluid in the charcoal that's the problem than the charcoal itself, right? I know charcoal is used in cases of toxin ingestion, in many cases antifreeze ingestion, and some companies use charcoal in their dog treats.

Quote Originally Posted by LilianaLove View Post
    It's more so the lighter fluid in the charcoal that's the problem than the charcoal itself, right? I know charcoal is used in cases of toxin ingestion, in many cases antifreeze ingestion, and some companies use charcoal in their dog treats.
    Yes, that is why the Matchlight (or any other charcoal with the lighter fluid "baked" into the briquettes) is dangerous to your dogs and not the other regular charcoal (to which you have to add lighter fluid.) I also noted that normal HEALTHY dogs may not have any prolonged issues with charcoal ingestion, but it's not something I'd (nor anyone's Vet) would recommend on a long-term/large quantity basis.