Driving With A Pet In Your Lap May Soon Be Illegal

Lap dogs and driving don't mix

Driving with a pet on your lap may soon become illegal in California.
    The state $#@!embly on Monday, saying pets can distract drivers no matter how well-behaved they are (the pets, that is), approved a bill to ban people from driving as they hold dogs, cats or any live animal.

The bill, which calls for fines of $35, now moves on to the Senate.
    "You have a potential major risk of an auto accident when you have a live pet that can be around in your face, in the steering wheel, down on the floor under your feet," said $#@!emblyman Bill Maze, R-Visalia.

The San Jose Mercury News reported that opponents of the bill include $#@!emblyman Martin Garrick, R-Carlsbad, whose spokesman said Garrick's "dogs are like his kids. He knows best how to handle them.They're very well-trained and well-behaved. ... If he wants to have his dogs riding in the front seat with him, then that should be the case."

Talking on a cell phone while driving -- without a hands-free device -- has also been outlawed in California under a bill that takes effect in July.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/feat..._dont_mix.html

I think that this is a good thing. I cannot understand how people can drive with an animal on their lap.

I wish it were illegal in my area...people around here can't drive worth a damn in the 1st place, add to that a dog in their laps and good grief!

On the fence, but mainly because I don't like more, newer, bigger and better, increased laws. Its stupid to ride with a dog in your lap, but when we get into the area of being told just how to restrain a dog in the car, I don't agree with that at all. I'd have to see the exact text of the bill before I would know whether or not to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by bahamutt99 View Post
    On the fence, but mainly because I don't like more, newer, bigger and better, increased laws. Its stupid to ride with a dog in your lap, but when we get into the area of being told just how to restrain a dog in the car, I don't agree with that at all. I'd have to see the exact text of the bill before I would know whether or not to support it.
    What'd be nice is if people would just use their heads and realize that it is stupid to ride with a dog in their lap. Unfortunately, unless people start using common sense, they're giving lawmakers the right to use it for them in any form they deem necessary.