1. Bump on puppy's chest?

My puppy has a little pea-sized bump on her chest that just appeared one day. It doesn't look like it has puss in it, and doesn't hurt her when I touch it. It hasn't gotten any bigger in the last few days, only a little more red. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

(this isn't her, but a picture I found online that closely resembles what's on her chest)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coopersbump.jpg 
Views:	4543 
Size:	469.2 KB 
ID:	9508

Images
    My dog had a growth on her lip that looked sort of like that. It just appeared one day but when it started growing...I got concerned. Is this thing growing? Either way, I'd go see the vet.

When I brought my dog in, my vet said by the look of it...she felt it was benign and that it was not uncommon for puppies to get them (I wish I could remember what she called it) and that they could grow rather large. So we removed it and tests came back negative. She never did get another one.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Darlin' View Post
    My dog had a growth on her lip that looked sort of like that. It just appeared one day but when it started growing...I got concerned. Is this thing growing? Either way, I'd go see the vet.

When I brought my dog in, my vet said by the look of it...she felt it was benign and that it was not uncommon for puppies to get them (I wish I could remember what she called it) and that they could grow rather large. So we removed it and tests came back negative. She never did get another one.
    No, it hasn't grown since I noticed it last week. It's just there. And red.

4. Freida had something similar at Christmas time. I picked her up from a 2week stay at the boarding kennel, so I dont know how quickly it appeared. We went to the vet and they biopsied it and it was a canine papilloma with a slight bacterial infection. Freida has these things anyway ( the cauliflower warts) but this one looked like a giant pimple. a week after the biopsy, the bump was crusting over and has shriveled to nothing.

Best bet is to go to the vet, b/c it could be a histoma (SP?) or a bite or one of these things

Definitely get a vet to check it out. Judo had this weird red bump on the side of his front paw, and I noticed in August it had gotten bigger since we adopted Judo a few months prior to that. Old vet told me, "You need to schedule surgery for when you get back from vacation to get that removed; it's most likely cancer." And he was trying to tell me it was a histiocytoma. Upon more research, I doubted that's what it really was. Histiocytomas typically appeared in young dogs, and Judo was 1.5 years old at least at that point. Sketchy thing was that the old vet told me, "Yeah we can run a test on it to look at the cells, but it's most likely cancer. And you need to get that removed." AKA pay me $1,000+ to have it removed and we won't know for sure what it is. All the while Judo felt fine and wasn't hindered by this growth on his paw.

Long story short, we took Judo to our new/current vet and they ran a test on the sample of the bump, and a few days later called and told us the tests showed it was NOT cancer. Just some sort of weird, benign growth but nothing to be worried about. We could have it removed, put him to sleep to have the removal surgery, etc. or we could wait a little bit and see if it shrinks in size, or falls off. We took Judo on our beach vacation with us and he ran on the sand and in the water, had a blast, and the bump didn't slow him down. Within a month or so, the bump started to shrink. Now I'm happy to report no surgery was ever needed and you can't even tell he had a bump on his paw. No evidence left what-so-ever and his paw looks fine. I will say the $100 or so we spent on the test provided us great peace of mind, knowing it wasn't cancer or a crazy histiocytoma.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Judo's Mom; 02-02-2011 at 12:53 PM.

6. Thanks everyone. I need to reach out to the vet anyways to set up her spay appointment, so that will be a good opportunity to ask about this. It's a relief knowing that others have experienced similar things and it ended up going away.

Images
    Oh definitely, since you'll be taking her in anyway they can take care of it then.

The more I hear about some of these prices the more I LOVE MY VET!!! She just gave Sweetie an injection to numb her lip and scooped that darn thing out and then cauterized it afterwards. We were in and out in 30 min. Removal and test cost me $95.00. I'm going to call them right now and tell them I appreciate them. Plus, they are so pit bull friendly.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Darlin' View Post
    Oh definitely, since you'll be taking her in anyway they can take care of it then.

The more I hear about some of these prices the more I LOVE MY VET!!! She just gave Sweetie an injection to numb her lip and scooped that darn thing out and then cauterized it afterwards. We were in and out in 30 min. Removal and test cost me $95.00. I'm going to call them right now and tell them I appreciate them. Plus, they are so pit bull friendly.
    Wow, if that's what I have to do, I hope mine is that cheap! My old vet, when I took my older dog to get fixed, wanted to do two days of blood work before surgery, board her to "observe her behavior," do surgery, and then bloodwork and "observation" the day after. 3-4 days without my pup and a $700 bill for spaying? NO THANKS! Thankfully, I found a good clinic for that. My current new vet isn't extremely pricey.. but they are in a ritzy town. So when I walk in with an AmBully (tail wagging, whimpering for attention), I get a lot of WTF looks and people holding tight to their purse puppies for dear life