Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Has anyone seen this before? Blood on toenails?

My dogs toenails looks like there's blood on them. The root of the toenail is blood. All of his toenails has this at that. I don't know what is causing this. Has anyone had this issue before? I haven't had a chance to take him to the vet yet, any feedback is appreciated.. thanks...

Is it possible for you to post a picture? It could just be stained fur, are his paws white?

Sasha 's nails look bloody a lot kind of like you described but not all her nails. I have never worried about it becuse the groomer that does her nails said its because she is a nail biter.

Now I wonder should i be concerned

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    Is it possible for you to post a picture? It could just be stained fur, are his paws white?
    I dont think its the paws the op is talking about if its anything like sasha its the actual nails that look bloodstained but its inside the nail because the dog isn't bleeding on anything

4. SBTLove,

you're exactly right its inside the name, i was trying to clean it on late last night to see if it was actually blood but its like a stain on the inside of the nail..

I can't post pictures right now because im @ work, and don't have any with me. I will be sure to do so later today. I pray it's nothing serious....

It's nothing to worry about. It's usually caused from saliva staining from paw licking.
    Could be allergy related. Do his feet smell like corn chips?

Wilson & Piper have a little of this too, it's allergy related from what I can tell. Although, neither of them ever lick their paws, so I have no clue why it's there.

You can kind of see it on Piper here:

7. kady, wow thats exactly how my pups look.. So what do you do about it? I have some bendryl do you think that will help?

Lilana, he always smell like corn chips! lol

It's probably diet related if it's an allergy this time of year. What's he currently eating?

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    kady, wow thats exactly how my pups look.. So what do you do about it? I have some bendryl do you think that will help?
    Honestly, nothing. Like I said, neither of mine bother their feet, it's just something that's there. Does your dog lick his, or act itchy? If he doesn't, I really wouldn't worry about it.

10. i only feed him Orijen.. and he's been on Orijen since I got him @ 8 weeks.. he's 8months now. Nothing has changed. That's why I'm a little confused...

does he bite his nails a lot sasha has always been a horrible nail biter

Sydney's talons are red on the top half close to the nail bed then the tips are clearish...you can kinda tell in this picture of her gnawing on her foot. LOL! They were clear when she was a pup, but turned red as she got older.

Is this what you are referring to?

13. If the blood is inside the nail I'm not sure what that is. If the nailbed is oozing blood or if the nails appear to be splitting it could be (SLO) symetrical lupoid onychodystrophy, an auto immune disease of the nails. My dog, when she was about three got SLO. She didn't lose all her nails but one of them did start turning this color. All the rest remained clear. But this one, which I thought had blood in it was only developing pigment. That one nail, years later now. is a dark brown color, nothing wrong with it. The only colored nail she has. She is the same fawn color as the dog above with foot in mouth :) Maybe as the dog matures the pigment changes?
    gail

ive always seen this on dogs.. i dunno if its coloring, allergy related or saliva related.. i could never figure it out.. phoenix chews his nails off regularly so maybe thats why he has them?

sydney- my red fawn has the same thing going on with her back paw nails, its very odd. her fronts are full red colored. lol

Sydney's are the same in the front and rear, she doesn't usually chew on her foot, but in this case she had like her whole back foot in her mouth and it was hilarious, so I shot a picture...it is the only one I can find that shows her toenails.

In her case it is definitely just the pigment of her toenails. when they are trimmed properly they are almost all red.

16. Moto gets this usually after he tears around the yard like an idiot and injures one of his toes. No biggie, should go away unless it's a dermatitis issue.

does their feet smelling like corn chips mean allergy usually? My guy has been on TOTW Pacific Stream for a few months but his paws always smell like corn chips... He doesn't gnaw on his feet though

One of our dogs has this too... but he doesn't have allergies to anything and occassionally will lick his paws when he's sleepy... but not the nails. We always thought it was because his nails were too long and possibly bruising from running and it being uncomfortable... could this be why? Too long of nails?
    Our male will only let us trim one a night... so he usually always has too long of nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze N' Pits View Post
    One of our dogs has this too... but he doesn't have allergies to anything and occassionally will lick his paws when he's sleepy... but not the nails. We always thought it was because his nails were too long and possibly bruising from running and it being uncomfortable... could this be why? Too long of nails?
    Our male will only let us trim one a night... so he usually always has too long of nails.
    Not in my dogs case.. their nails get done once a week, so they definitely aren't long.

Oh ook. Marsha has nails like that too. They were really bad when I adopted, not so bad now. She licks her paws at night when we go to bed, so I just $#@!umed it was stained.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast