Exclamation Dogs throwing up mucusy clear vomit?

Okay so, back story : Yesterday my bestfriend and her fiance were moving into their first apartment. Of course I offered my help, and my grandmother was watching both of my dogs. She had called me once telling me my lab Oscar got into the trash when she left the house ( which, everyone who knows the dog is aware that when leaving the house he should be locked in a room with no food or trash/food must be locked away however she was in a rush and ran out to the bank ). Oscar got ahold of a ham bone with ham on it from Monday . I have conflicting reports from my grandmother as to whether she actually let my puppy Nala have the ham bone after Oscar or that she didn't realize he had it due to the big mess... but the one thing I know for sure is that they both were chewing on this ham bone.

So now, at 6am today she woke me up saying I needed to get downstairs QUICK. Nala was sick and she didn't know what to do. I came downstairs and witnessed her throwing up clear mucusy vomit, which reminds me of the clear part of an egg before cooked. I saw she was about to throw up again so I placed both dogs out back to clean up what had already been done. Upon letting the dogs in, I noticed that Oscar now had clear strands of this vomit hanging down his mouth... I am not 100% positive if he actually threw up or if he ate her vomit because I did not witness it. Since they came in neither dogs has thrown up again. I gave them both fresh bowls of water, and tried to get Nala to eat a little food. She turns her head at both. I usually call her my "bottomless pit" because she never stops eating and have to control when water is down because she will drink and drink and drink until she looks like she is going to explode so this is definitely out of character. Oh and when I went to check her crate to see if she had thrown up it appears that she crapped all over her crate ( but not diarrhea) and maybe even ate some which she used to have a habit of. She has not crapped in her crate since she was about 9 weeks old and she is over 5 months now.

So, sorry for the long post however, does anyone know if this is something that I should be overly concerned about? Both are still very active and playing. Do the symptoms add up to them just getting into something that they shouldn't have, or something more serious? I am obviously going to watch them like a hawk today... and if anything gets any worse I will bring them to the vet, but I don't want to rush out to the vet if it is nothing serious. Thank you for your help!!!

I had this type of issue with my dog and rushed him to the vet only to have them give him a shot to settle his stomach and reccomend a canned food for sensative stomachs. I had no idea as to why he was throwing up and was worried he had eaten something he should not have. He never passed anything and was back to normal in about 24 hours.

That makes me feel a little better, she finally just ate a little food I was enticing her with and drank some water... She hasn't thrown up since this morning so *crosses fingers* hopefully this is just something that will p$#@!!

I would NOT be trying to feed them.. fast them for 24hrs. Would you want to eat if you were puking? Let their stomachs settle down, then slowly reintroduce their food.

Could be as simple as the ham didn't agree with them. Pepto Bismal works wonders when their stomachs are upset.

Lily is a puker. She probably throws something up about once a month. The other day she puked up hair.
    That being said, I'm used to it. I just dig through it to see what's in there.
    A few months ago, she puked up bile. Now, when she pukes, she always pukes something up. But this was just bile. The next morning, she did the same thing. The morning after that, she did the same thing.
    Worried, I took her to the vet. They palpated but didn't feel anything like a blockage or anything, and when I palpated I didn't feel anything either.
    Feeling comfortable and being prescribed pepcid (which I had at home), I went home.
    On the way home, she puked up a ball of gr$#@!/rope/stems half the size of my fist.

Moral of the story- know your dog. Know its habits, even its vomit habits.

To the OP- I would watch her for the rest of the day, monitor stool output (especially if it's bloody), watch her for dehydration. If at any time you stop feeling comfortable with her condition, take her to the vet.
    Blockages can be subtle and silent, and you won't know they're there until it's too late.
    And this is just a trick that I use, but when Lily needs to vomit, I just place her in the kitchen (or on my wood floor), hold her back legs, and let her vomit. This works in my favor because 1) I can drag her backwards if she tries to eat it and 2) I don't have to go searching for it outside to rummage through it. A lot of dogs won't be comfortable being held while they vomit, but that's what I do.

Kady05- Great post. I left out the fasting part as my dog had no interest in eating the day of the event.

LilianaLove- Your post made me think back to a foster bully mix we had that would eat anything in sight. I found one of my kids socks in her stool one day. I kid you not. I was shocked that she was able to p$#@! this without acting strange.

My dog throws up if she hasn't eaten...she has always done this and even though she is almost 4 I still feed her twice a day because it seems she metabolizes food so fast that if I don't feed her smaller meals more often she gets sick. Once she eats she's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by LilianaLove View Post
    Lily is a puker. She probably throws something up about once a month. The other day she puked up hair.
    That being said, I'm used to it. I just dig through it to see what's in there.
    A few months ago, she puked up bile. Now, when she pukes, she always pukes something up. But this was just bile. The next morning, she did the same thing. The morning after that, she did the same thing.
    Worried, I took her to the vet. They palpated but didn't feel anything like a blockage or anything, and when I palpated I didn't feel anything either.
    Feeling comfortable and being prescribed pepcid (which I had at home), I went home.
    On the way home, she puked up a ball of gr$#@!/rope/stems half the size of my fist.

Moral of the story- know your dog. Know its habits, even its vomit habits.

To the OP- I would watch her for the rest of the day, monitor stool output (especially if it's bloody), watch her for dehydration. If at any time you stop feeling comfortable with her condition, take her to the vet.
    Blockages can be subtle and silent, and you won't know they're there until it's too late.
    And this is just a trick that I use, but when Lily needs to vomit, I just place her in the kitchen (or on my wood floor), hold her back legs, and let her vomit. This works in my favor because 1) I can drag her backwards if she tries to eat it and 2) I don't have to go searching for it outside to rummage through it. A lot of dogs won't be comfortable being held while they vomit, but that's what I do.
    I couldn't agree more,.. Powder has his days but luckily he's not one to eat random things. Its usually bile, water or gr$#@! that comes up. I have also jumped up out of my sleep to grab them when they are about to vomit. Just to take them to the nearest tile flooring and make sure they stay there. Since the rooms are carpet and all the walk ways, bathrooms and kitchen is tile,.. easier clean up :D.

On the other hand I had to have a bit of a heart to heart with Achilles when he was a young pup. He would pretty much eat what ever he got his mouth around. But he's gotten better, either he's growing out of it and or he took our one sided convo seriously. Which was me telling him that if he ended up in the hospital for eating something he wasn't suppose to,.. he's done, not coming back. The last thing he chewed up was the handle off his Jolly ball and he puked and crapped that out.

He may not have understood all the words but I'm hoping my tone and energy got through. :D