Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is Floridas law about Pit Bulls??

Me and My boyfriend want to move to FL in the near future and i was wondering what is the law down there about Pit Bulls?? i have 2 female 10 month old Pits right now. Can i have them or not down there??? Im very confused and tried to look things up but dont get the weird language they use :D.Can someone tell me straight up what they are saying .

Thank you for your help.
    Chelsea

Current Florida state law prohibits BSL however there is a bill in the Florida congress that will remove this limitation.

You can read more about it on the StopBSL site:

Florida: HB 543 now in committee | Stop BSL

I think it depends on where you are at actually. I don't think they have statewide BSL but different counties may. If I were you I'd get in touch with the city and/or county you plan to move to to see what the laws are regarding pit bulls and dog ownership in general.

Good Luck.

I know you can't have em in the miami area

5. Miami is the only area you cannot have pitbulls.

what area are you looking to move to? I am in Tampa and we have an awesome ADBA sanctioned club.

Anyone know if you can have the APBT or any of the bully breeds in Key West?

You can in Fort Lauderdale!

8. again... MIAMI is the only place in florida where there is currently bsl that does not allow the Pitbull.

That means all other cities you can legally own them.

You have them everywhere, except Miami-Dade county although they are working on changing that. Miami is even allowing dogs that I would consider a pit bull to stay in the county if they deem it acceptable, but these are dogs at their shelter. Not sure I would chance it bringing a dog in though.

Now of course most places will not rent to you with a pit bull and I believe some HOA will not allow them either.

I live in Polk County and while there is no restriction on breed ownership, the county shelter will NOT adopt out pit bulls. Owner surrenders are euthanized usually immedietely and strays get the 5 day hold then euthanized. Only chance is if a nonprofit rescue takes them.

Quote Originally Posted by green machine View Post
    Miami is the only area you cannot have pitbulls.

what area are you looking to move to? I am in Tampa and we have an awesome ADBA sanctioned club.

Yeah Tampa we were looking at.

11. Quote Originally Posted by cezcal20 View Post
    Yeah Tampa we were looking at.

Great place to live IMO. Like i said we have a great club here called Mid florida american pitbull terrier $#@!ociation. We get togeather and have fun shows every month and do alot of events.

When are yall planning on moving down?

Great place to live IMO. Like i said we have a great club here called Mid florida american pitbull terrier $#@!ociation. We get togeather and have fun shows every month and do alot of events.

When are yall planning on moving down?
    In a year or two , we are still looking around and saving money.
    We just got 2ft of snow here in CT!!!!

13. Quote Originally Posted by cezcal20 View Post
    We just got 2ft of snow here in CT!!!!

and thats the exact reason I reside in Florida and always will. I hate the cold/snow.

are you guys looking to buy or rent? I have some friends that can help you find a place to rent when needed that are APBT friendly.

Miami is the only area you cannot have pitbulls.

theres BSL around WPB area too last i checked?

15. There might be certain restrictions and rules but Miami is the only place in florida that has banned the breed.

Tallahassee is very positive on pit bull type dogs.

What about Cali????

18. Dont have a clue, thats clearly on the other side of the country lol

There might be certain restrictions and rules but Miami is the only place in florida that has banned the breed.
    youre right, i just meant bsl in general, i miss understood OPs post.

They are trying to regulate ownership on certain parts of Cali. BUt as far as i know in LA , Ventura county there are no BSL laws. That being said there are places tha twill not rent you an apartment if you own a pitbull

BSL ALERT Exeter, California | Bless the Bullys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast