1. "I found a pit bull & I need your rescue to take it."

I know that person!

.... I can't take it to the shelter because they will just kill it. I can't keep it either because my landlord does not allow pit bulls....

Images
    I am expecting a baby and don't want a pitbull around it.

In that type of stupid human situation I have, in the past, taken the dog and then taken it to the shelter myself....
    :mad:

Images
    There is an abundance of sorry, stupid people where I live. Forunantly we have some awesome rescues also. My favorite has taken 2 dogs I found and helped me with vetting and placing two more. I have three mixed APBT of my own. I don't expect my rescue to foot the bill for dogs I pick up. A generous donation ,IMO, go with any dog they take from me. I also don't pick up a dog that I am not willing to foster. Fostering is one of the best donations you can make to a rescue. To all tepeople here that rescue, you have my admiration and gratitude.

I've heard this story so many times. Used to break my heart every time I had to have *that conversation* with someone while I volunteered at some local shelters/rescues. Pure ignorance at it's finest.

7. What really irks me about these things is that when someone is LEGITIMATELY trying to place a stray in a rescue...they get treated like they're some $#@! who is making up the same stories as an actual $#@!.

It's been a real issue for me...between a litter of day old pups I found abandoned in a laundry basket outside the county dump, to multiple stray cats and kittens, a 4 week old pup I picked up walking down the middle of a county highway, etc. etc. I am given nothing but a hard time from rescues, shelters and vets with whom I've attempted to receive help for the animals in question.

A hard time, dirty looks, and bad attitudes all pointing to the fact that those I go to strongly believe that I am just another $#@! trying to get rid of MY unwanted pets.

Well, I personally won't take in any strays found into my Rescue... as a young Rescue... I simply can't take the risks of something seriously wrong medically with the dog... I simply don't have the funds...

Also, as a legal Rescue... there are laws and county policies I must follow and each county has their "Stray Hold" policies in place... which varies from one county to others...

When I get the many emails about strays, I'll do what I can to help them but the bottom line is, I won't be bringing them into my Rescue... I also acknowledge, I can't save every dog... That's the sad reality...

9. I get crap from the closest county shelter too. We live out in the sticks and we have no animal control or shelter. The closest shelter is two counties away. I had to beg and pay them $45 per to take a litter of kittens somebody dumped in our front yard.

They refused to believe that they were dumped/stray and made me pay an "owner surrender" fee for each in the litter of five.

I don't pick up strays anymore...which breaks my heart. I can't take them in, and there's no one around who is unjaded enough to take things on a case by case basis. I don't blame them... but still.

Three times now...I have come across dogs wandering the highways here and I passed them by...only to return that way later and see them as roadkill. It happens on a daily basis out here because NOBODY keeps their pets contained, spays/nueters or even provides basic vet care.

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

It's also $#@!ty that there are no spay/nueter programs out here...and the closest county with any programs (same county as the shelter) requires you to prove residence in that county to be elligable for their programs.

Lucky for me I'm known around my city, so they believe me. We also have a good humane society. They want to take in strays in case their people are looking for them. They hold stray dogs for a week, then vet and adoption them out if no owners shows up.
    I as a rescue did not take strays, thats not my job. Stray dogs might have a home and people.
    But I do know their are tons of people who ditch their dogs as "strays". And butt hole rescue people.

11. The thing is many of the "excuses" people use, I have the actual problems, and I don't think people believe me. lol.

My friend's dog had an "Oops" litter. I re-homed them all but one, he is staying here till I can find him a home, and now they want to re-home the Sire and Dam. I swear when I tell the rescue people that they are sure they are my dogs that I am trying to get rid of, which irks me a bit.

The other day at the adoption event, there was a cute dachshund looking dog, and I was hugging him and said, "If I had room, you'd come home with me." One of the Volunteers said to me, "Are you trying to get rid of one already?" I said, "No, he isn't mine."
    Last edited by CoolHandJean; 01-11-2011 at 05:47 PM.

12. I never question someone. What irks me is the people that would never in a million years support a it bull rescue but then they find a pit bull and demand we make room for it and say stuff like it's the only sweet pit bull. They don't want to listen to us try an educate them about bully breeds. They're convinced they've found the only human friendly pit bull in the world.

We get up to a hundred emails a day asking us to take in dogs and I personally return each and everyone one of them. We can't possibly take in even a fraction of them, because we unfortunately stay full with strays on our block and the irresponsible owners from our neighborhood that surrender their dogs. I do try and help people rehome the dogs they found or are rehoming. I also try and educate them and see if there isn't a way they can keep the dog. We also help get the dogs vetted, fixed, and we offer food and crates when available.

Of course there are shady rescues out there. I always tell people to ask rescues for vet references and to see a copy of their license with the Department of Agriculture. It's also a good idea to google a rescue because if they've scammed someone or they have a bad reputation, it's usually blasted over the internet somewhere. If you are going to sponsor a dog's vetting so a rescue will take it, offer to pay the vet directly.

13. Yeah, I know some people will try to just "dump" a dog. I wish you were closer, I'd rather be working with you to find these dogs a home. lol.