1. Unhappy Pit Bull Always Itching and Scratching and Biting

So, my Pancho is a red nose pit, and for the past 6 months he's been itching and biting. We've tried many flea medications, and nothing seems to stop him. He's allergic to poultry, which is why we buy him food with no poultry in it what so ever. But, with all of these measures taken, he's still itching and biting. I wish there was SOMETHING I could do, but as of this moment, I am lost. Help?

What are you feeding him now?

What are you feeding him now? And has your dog seen a vet about these issues? Its possible that it could be a contact allergy causing this?

4. food

he eats Kibbles and Bits homestyle. No chicken (from what we know of).

I'm guessing you feed him the Homestyle Beef. Here are the ingredients:

corn, soybean meal, beef and bone meal, ground wheat flour, animal fat (bha used as preservative), wheat middlings, corn syrup, water sufficient for processing, animal digest (source of grilled flavor), propylene glycol, salt, soy protein concentrate, hydrochloric acid, potassium chloride, beef, vegetable blend (peas, carrots and green beans), caramel color, sorbic acid (used as a preservative), sodium carbonate, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), vitamins (vitamin E supplement, vitamin A supplement, niacin supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), choline chloride, calcium sulfate, sodium bisulfate, titanium dioxide, yellow 5, yellow 6, red 40, BHA (used as a preservative), dl methionine, blue 1, potassium sorbate (used as a preservative).

I bolded all the nasty stuff in this food. And these things could all be causing your pup to itch. Many dogs have grain allergies these days. I would suggest switching to either a corn/wheat/soy free food such as Diamond Naturals or a completely grain free food such as Taste of the Wild (there are many more out there). These are just some economically friendly foods that are better than what you are feeding.

Animal digest can be anything from hooves to hair/feathers, roadkill, and even euthanized animals. So it could contain chicken without you knowing.

6. Quote Originally Posted by mstngchic2012 View Post
    I'm guessing you feed him the Homestyle Beef. Here are the ingredients:

corn, soybean meal, beef and bone meal, ground wheat flour, animal fat (bha used as preservative), wheat middlings, corn syrup, water sufficient for processing, animal digest (source of grilled flavor), propylene glycol, salt, soy protein concentrate, hydrochloric acid, potassium chloride, beef, vegetable blend (peas, carrots and green beans), caramel color, sorbic acid (used as a preservative), sodium carbonate, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), vitamins (vitamin E supplement, vitamin A supplement, niacin supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), choline chloride, calcium sulfate, sodium bisulfate, titanium dioxide, yellow 5, yellow 6, red 40, BHA (used as a preservative), dl methionine, blue 1, potassium sorbate (used as a preservative).

I bolded all the nasty stuff in this food. And these things could all be causing your pup to itch. Many dogs have grain allergies these days. I would suggest switching to either a corn/wheat/soy free food such as Diamond Naturals or a completely grain free food such as Taste of the Wild (there are many more out there). These are just some economically friendly foods that are better than what you are feeding.

Animal digest can be anything from hooves to hair/feathers, roadkill, and even euthanized animals. So it could contain chicken without you knowing.
    Ok, so we are pretty bad on the pooch budget, as is all of our money, how much are those bags of food? Are there any cheap ones? I know it's a shot in the dark, but I might as well ask.

The Diamond Naturals is going to run you about $25 for a 40 pound bag and the Taste of the Wild is more expensive at around $35-43 for a 30 pound bag - most dogs tend to eat a little less on grain free food because they are absorbing more of the nutrients that they need so they don't need to eat quite as much of it so that is something to keep in mind.

If you have a Costco in your area Costco sells the same food (different names but made by same company) but I believe it's cheaper. They sell Kirkland Signature which is a lot like Diamond Naturals and Nature's Domain which is a lot like Taste of the Wild. I can't tell you how much they cost as I don't know - someone else could tell you who feeds them.

id feed Ol Roy before id feed Kibbles and Bits. whats ol roy cost, 10 bucks/20 lbs?

If you have a Tractor Supply Company near you, go there.

Diamond Naturals is a good cheap kibble. TSC also has their own brand called 4health which is a decent price. Definitely a big step up from Kibbles and Bits.

I feed my 3 Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream (salmon formula) as one dog can't eat anything with feathers or fur because of her allergies. I think it's about 45 for a 30 pound bag which lasts almost 3 weeks around here. They eat literally half of what they used to when I fed Diamond.

10. I have had some issues with my pit itching and scratching. Its a long story so I will cut it kinda short. I am feeding my dog TOTW bison and deer formula. She was allergic to the innova which had grain in it. Ever since she was about 5 months, 11 months now, she has had some skin allergies, Yesterday, I had to take her to the vet because she broke out with hives a couple of weeks back (I've tried 5 different shampoos for her sensitive skin) and found out she has red mange which is bizarre. She is very healthy so I would have never guessed. It could be a food allergy,skin allergy like a shampoo you use or even the gr$#@!. Well good luck, hope you can find the problem. Observation and research can help you find the problem....with help from a vet.

yeah, going to a grain free is a good step, also, have you had a skin scrape for mites?
    one thing that's helped my own dogs' general wintertime itchiness is satin balls- i make them with PB, cheap beef, lots of egg yolk, full fat cream cheese, wheat germ (which you could omit if your dog is sensitive to grain) and plenty of olive oil. i'm pretty sure the olive oil is what has done wonders for their skin.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDirtyDawg View Post
    yeah, going to a grain free is a good step, also, have you had a skin scrape for mites?
    one thing that's helped my own dogs' general wintertime itchiness is satin balls- i make them with PB, cheap beef, lots of egg yolk, full fat cream cheese, wheat germ (which you could omit if your dog is sensitive to grain) and plenty of olive oil. i'm pretty sure the olive oil is what has done wonders for their skin.
    That is an interesting recipe for satin balls. I might have to try that during the fall months with Mater's allergies are flaring up.

Quote Originally Posted by mstngchic2012 View Post
    That is an interesting recipe for satin balls. I might have to try that during the fall months with Mater's allergies are flaring up.
    ok, but beware- this is what i use to put winter weight on mine- too much will make him a fatty! sub lower fat stuff like turkey if he's not able to exercise it all off.

if your dog isn't allergic to anything you can go the full recipe and throw in the eggs whole (i stick them, shell and all in the blender) and a box of total cereal mixed in too.

I can't do grains - Mater is allergic to them. I bet 2 or 3 a week would be good enough. I actually need to put some more on him this winter - he's lost some weight mysteriously.